The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

noct .95 bokeh vs. 50mm lux asph

gooomz

for those that have used both, is the .95 noct bokeh shot at .95 much nicer then say the lux asph 50mm bokeh shot at 1.4, or is the difference small?

just trying to decide whether or not it is worth it to pick up a lux for everyday shooting since the noct is just much heavier. (very sweet though for sure)

Paul Spinnler

I have both and found the lux more versatile. The noct sufferes from severe chromatic aberrations when used wide open and the min. foc. distance can be annoying. The Lux can focus at 0.7m and at that distance you get less dof than with the noct in my experience (havent calculated it though). When focusing wide open at the nocts min. foc. distance you get that special look which is only possible with this lens. I found the lux to be sharper too wide open ... but these are just my subjective experiences. I love both and would never sell one of them!

gooomz

when do you take out the noct?

dusk or night or when you know you need that extra stop?

i was thinking about that also since the noct needs 3feet and the lux less, the bokeh should be also great with lux wide open since the subject is so close.

fotografz

Wasn't this throughly answered with lots of images demonstrating the words in your other post only a few threads down?

I haven't experienced the "severe CA" that Paul mentioned. Some, depending on conditions, but not severe and easily corrected.

IMO, for "everyday" shooting, just get the Lux unless your everyday shooting includes a lot of very low light work ... which is why I have the 0,95 and sold the 50/1.4 ASPH. I personally do most of my everyday work with a 35 Lux ASPH.

-Marc