Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

  1. #1
    Senior Member Per Ofverbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    M9 Firmware 1.162 available now


  2. #2
    Member dannh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Doh! My battery is too low to update. Quick, gotta go charge it!

  3. #3
    Member Steve Fines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Worked fine for me.

    Bummed that they didn't include bracketing when shooting manually.
    ---------------
    Steve
    www.finesart.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member mjm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Steve,

    I had read that they were discussing an 'HDR' solution, which ideally would be shutter speed bracketing in manual mode... It's not in there anywhere? That is a bummer, because I was looking forward to that (not for HDR so much though...)


    ---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

  5. #5
    Member Steve Fines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Quote Originally Posted by mjm6 View Post
    Steve,

    I had read that they were discussing an 'HDR' solution, which ideally would be shutter speed bracketing in manual mode... It's not in there anywhere? That is a bummer, because I was looking forward to that (not for HDR so much though...)


    ---Michael
    Hi,

    Nope. First thing I tried, but no go. I'd written to Leica in late 2009 and was told then it seemed a good idea that they could implement soon.

    Oh well. I'm sure the folks who have had trouble with red edges will be happy with this one.
    ---------------
    Steve
    www.finesart.com

  6. #6
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fines View Post
    ...Oh well. I'm sure the folks who have had trouble with red edges will be happy with this one.
    Absolutely. So far, the reports coming in all seem to indicate MUCH improved performance on this front, even with third party lenses and such "unusable" lenses as the 4/21 Color Skopar (which I myself tested).

    While it hasn't fixed it completely in all cases, you can totally live with the results from a lot of lens/code combos now without necessarily resorting to CornerFix.

    In other cases, it's a complete fix. For example - probably my favorite lens, the 2,8/25 Biogon ZM - is now completely red edge and vignette free for me (save for maybe a touch of vignetting wide open). The 4/18 is also showing very good results. I'm as happy as a pig in sh!t.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    No success with my CV 21mm, as bad, if not worse, than ever for red edge, but the vignetting is better controlled. Wide open the red edge is on the verge of being OK, but stop it down to f8 and its like a sunset is happening on the left side of the image.

    Steve

  8. #8
    Member nightfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    For example - probably my favorite lens, the 2,8/25 Biogon ZM - is now completely red edge and vignette free for me (save for maybe a touch of vignetting wide open).
    Oh good - so there's something in that upgrade for me after all (the ZM25 being my widest lens).

  9. #9
    Senior Member mjm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Bummer on the 21/4 lens... I had one and sold it once I got my 24mm elmarit.

    I just got the 18mm/4 so I'd be interested in the 6-bit code that works well for that one (if it is different from the previous 'best', which I think was the 18mm from the 16-18-21 IIRC.


    ---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

  10. #10
    Senior Member mjm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    As a followup, I'm a little OC about the lenses and coding; I'd prefer to have my Zeiss 18/4 coded as an 18mm if I could so that at least the FL is correct...

    So I was planning to use a 18mm elmarit or the 18mm 16-18-21 code, which I think is viable. Any way to test these?


    ---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    ashwinrao1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    3,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Has anyone tested the Zeiss 21 mm f/4.5 post-firmware? This used to be deamed an unusable lens in color situations, but if it's working better now (not sure how to code it), then this would be awesome!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    14

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Ashwin,

    Posted this on the l-camera forum but might as well post here too. No luck with the ZM 21/4.5. This is wide open coded as a 21/2.8.



    It really is a shame since this is such a sweet little lens. Very sharp.

    -Thomas

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    ashwinrao1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    3,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Bummer. Thanks, Thomas...it's pretty noticeable...probably best to avoid that lens on teh M9. It seems that Leica may release a new 21 mm lens (there isn't currently one on their production line), so maybe this will assist...

    Until then, I guess I'll have to "get by" with a 21 lux LOL
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

  14. #14
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Too bad about the 4,5/21 Biogon. That would've been sweet.

    Interesting too, the varying results with the 4/21 Skopar... If coded as a 2,8/21 Elmarit it works great for me. Though I've not extensively tested it beyond a shot at f/4 and f/8.

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Bummer. Thanks, Thomas...it's pretty noticeable...probably best to avoid that lens on teh M9. It seems that Leica may release a new 21 mm lens (there isn't currently one on their production line), so maybe this will assist...

    Until then, I guess I'll have to "get by" with a 21 lux LOL
    Ashwin: Congrats. D said you picked that one up the other day. I grabbed a cron from the collection.

    Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    ashwinrao1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    3,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Ashwin: Congrats. D said you picked that one up the other day. I grabbed a cron from the collection.

    Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Awesome, Matt. That was an amazing, one of a kind sale that Dante had available...I got the 21 lux, but struggled (slightly) betwene that and the WATE...I felt that the 21 lux might never come by again, but there's even a Noct 0.95 in the stash...gosh!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    seakayaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Ashwin: Congrats. D said you picked that one up the other day. I grabbed a cron from the collection.

    Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Awesome, Matt. That was an amazing, one of a kind sale that Dante had available...I got the 21 lux, but struggled (slightly) betwene that and the WATE...I felt that the 21 lux might never come by again, but there's even a Noct 0.95 in the stash...gosh!
    . . . . . it was quite an impressive collection to view, I would have loved to been able to pick something out but the rational mind kept me from executing the 'Buy Now Explain Later' motto which the irrational mind has overridden three times in the last couple of months.

    Time & Patience, Time & Patience, Time & Patience . . . . . repeat a thousand times is a mantra I must use when visiting Glazers or looking on-line.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fines View Post
    Worked fine for me.

    Bummed that they didn't include bracketing when shooting manually.
    It's included, it is just not in the menu system. The way you do it is find out your base exposure, take a photo, and then turn the shutter wheel one click take another photo, then two clicks the other way and take another photo. That is 1/2 stop shutter bracketing. You can also do it with the aperture ring, if you want to get fancy.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  19. #19
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 Firmware 1.162 available now

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    It's included, it is just not in the menu system. The way you do it is find out your base exposure, take a photo, and then turn the shutter wheel one click take another photo, then two clicks the other way and take another photo. That is 1/2 stop shutter bracketing. You can also do it with the aperture ring, if you want to get fancy.
    Hehehe.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •