The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayyan

LOL!!! I think I've actually said (and certainly thought) those words at times! :LOL:

I do have to say, however, that the particular woman involved here is worth the trouble! Nice shot too.
Lloyd, thanks. It is difficult when one does not look while walking!!:D
Matt, thank you.

Regards.

PatrickCheung

Shiro, is that your child on the skateboard? I'm impressed by your ability to focus on such a fast moving subject :p I ran into a family today, they were at a parking lot skateboarding (yes, even the father, who looked about 30). I asked if I could take a few photos, and I found it extremely difficult focusing and framing with the kids skating around everywhere!

I'll post those photos up after I'm done processing them :)

Handed in my last project of the year yesterday... finally done with my first year in university! Naturally... my friends and I threw a little celebration and got wasted...

Here's the caption I wrote for one of the photos I had on flickr...

"My first year in university came to an end on April 20th, 2012. A few friends had to leave Cambridge the next day, as we all will within the next week. A few of us come from the same city, though as a group, we'll be apart for the next four months. As Chris said, it'll be a bittersweet summer. Naturally, we threw one last jam, as our way of celebrating the conclusion of our first year and to say goodbye to the few who left early. As usual, we all ended up in an inebriated buzz. Only eight months ago we were all strangers. It's nice looking back and seeing how far we've all come. We've had our differences and disagreements, but we've overcame them and grew closer. I've made friends here that I can trust and relate to, and I'm more than thankful for that.

It'll be hard to say goodbye to my friends, even the ones that live close to me, but it'll be even harder to say goodbye to Hillary. We've only been together for roughly four months, but time works differently in Cambridge... one month feels like a few, and naturally people and relationships develop much the same way. On our way back home from our little get together, drunk Patrick told drunk Hillary that he loves her lots but doesn't see them as a couple. In some ways, I agree with drunk Patrick, I don't feel as if we're a couple, or at least... not a couple that I'm used to seeing or being a part of. I see her as a sort of... best friend, someone I trust myself with, someone I can be open and true to, someone I can explore with. At the same time, I deeply care for Hillary, I want to be there for her whenever she needs me, I want to watch her grow as a person and grow with her. I see her as my sidekick, and much like with my friends, I'm more than thankful I have her. I know there are people that don't approve of our relationship, but I can't be happier with it. I'd like to think that what under-the-influence Wesley said is true, that "Hatrick is the coolest couple ever!"

When we got home, I set up a few lights and took a few photos of her to pass the time while we waited for the Kraft Dinner to cook. We were both still buzzed, happy that we had one last amazing night with the friends we care for so much, but feeling sick from all the stuff we drank. I feel as if the set of photos captured the feel of last night and the coming summer very well; it was and will be a lot of fun, we all looked forward to it, though it won't be without a little pain.

Goodbye for now, guys. I'm looking forward to seeing you all soon :)"

Anyway, I'll be posting some better photos soon, just gotta process them! Here's a few photos we took with the R-D1 and Nokton 40/1.4. Surprisingly, my ability to focus a rangefinder and move lights remain somewhat unchanged whilst I'm inebriated :p

MikalWGrass

Patrick, great shots. But I still have no idea what to tell your mom about why you haven't been studying as much as she thinks you are.

Hosermage

Patrick and Hillary, you guys are lucky that you are sharing this hobby together. Me, on the other hand, just had a talk with my other half yesterday about how I'm pay more attention to my camera than her :-/

So I asked her... "Would you like to learn photography with me?" since I still have the NEX5n around. She thought about it and said yes! I'm hoping she'll find it interesting as well. We're going to the Renaissance faire tomorrow, each with a camera on our neck, so we'll see how that turns out.

I'll post this question to the group... have you ever had to fight for gear with the other half? To me, that would be the best outcome... then there'll be more excuses to acquire more gear :) As long as she keeps her hands off my M9 :D

PatrickCheung

Oh Mikal! She knows, she knows! My parents came to visit me the day after my birthday, on which my friends and I... well you know. I had "Happy 19th birthday!" written on my arms, "thug life" on my fingers, and "Hai my name is Patrick!" on the back of my neck... oh and of course, a 6 pack of Heineken on my doorstep. :p I'm surprised my parents don't mind that much, all my father said was that I drink expensive beer, and went on to talk about the best beers he's had. My mother just said not to drink too much or else I'd get sick! I feel like architecture students have the balance between partying and working mastered... work 16 hour days throughout the week... spend one night getting smashed with your friends... then sober up next morning for another 16 hour work day :p Sounds fun huh?

Congrats David! Well, the argument not so much, but her openess to learn should be congratulated! Hopefully she'll find the hobby as interesting as you do! Hopefully Hillary would jump in here and share the experience she had picking up this hobby :p We havent fought over gear yet, but we do plan on starting a small collection between the two of us! Also, I really enjoy reading your blog!

My post for the day is a part of my 100 Strangers project. These are strangers #2,3,4! Here's the blurb I wrote for flickr:

"I was eating lunch with Hillary yesterday when I saw a man roll by across the restaurant window. A few seconds later, a boy about half his height rolled along right behind him.

On our way home, we came across the man and his children skateboarding at a loading dock. They had a makeshift ramp set up over a small curb and were doing tricks off the ramp and on the curb. The kids were much better skaters than I ever was, and much, much more fearless!

I went over to talk to him. His name is Earl, his two sons are Parker (on the left) and Cole (on the right), who's about 5 years old. Earl grew up skateboarding, and it seems as if he passed on his sport to his children. Parker and Cole got new boards that day, just before they went to the loading dock, and were really excited to try them out!

It was really nice meeting them, it made me really happy seeing a father passing on his hobby and possibly passion on to his children. It was also really nice seeing him take the time out of his day to spend time with his children doing something that, as he said, he is 'much too old for'.

I hope I can one day meet Earl again and give him this photo."

chrism

Patrick,
It's been 36 years since I met my wife, and we have been married for the last 32 of them. Being a good friend to your partner is the most important thing of all, as it is what works in the long run. I'd advise drunk Patrick to change his mind pronto!

My better half on honeymoon in Minorca (if the admins will forgive some analog pics in the interest of saving these young folks from making a mistake):

and recently:

Chris

PatrickCheung

Haha :) Chris, Chris, no worries, I didn't mean it like that! I meant that she's not only my girlfriend, she's also my best friend, someone who I cherish and care for deeply. I just feel like I can do everything with her. I've been in relationships where the lady would not understand or be interested in my interests, or would refuse to do things that I like with me (mostly photo-related stuff), or were just looking for something else. That became the "standard" of relationships for me. I'm fully aware that Hillary is more than just a friend to me, more than just a best friend; it's just that being completely open and being able to share an interest with my significant other is something I'm not used to, hence not feeling like we're a couple, but more like a duo :p I love her lots, no worries about that!

Lovely images by the way :) and congrats on finding the love of your life :)

Lloyd

Patrick,
It's been 36 years since I met my wife, and we have been married for the last 32 of them. Being a good friend to your partner is the most important thing of all, as it is what works in the long run. I'd advise drunk Patrick to change his mind pronto!

My better half on honeymoon in Minorca (if the admins will forgive some analog pics in the interest of saving these young folks from making a mistake):

Chris
Beautiful then, beautiful now. :salute:

Lloyd

Oh Mikal! She knows, she knows! My parents came to visit me the day after my birthday, on which my friends and I... well you know. I had "Happy 19th birthday!" written on my arms, "thug life" on my fingers, and "Hai my name is Patrick!" on the back of my neck... oh and of course, a 6 pack of Heineken on my doorstep. :p I'm surprised my parents don't mind that much, all my father said was that I drink expensive beer, and went on to talk about the best beers he's had. My mother just said not to drink too much or else I'd get sick! I feel like architecture students have the balance between partying and working mastered... work 16 hour days throughout the week... spend one night getting smashed with your friends... then sober up next morning for another 16 hour work day :p Sounds fun huh?

Congrats David! Well, the argument not so much, but her openess to learn should be congratulated! Hopefully she'll find the hobby as interesting as you do! Hopefully Hillary would jump in here and share the experience she had picking up this hobby :p We havent fought over gear yet, but we do plan on starting a small collection between the two of us! Also, I really enjoy reading your blog!

My post for the day is a part of my 100 Strangers project. These are strangers #2,3,4! Here's the blurb I wrote for flickr:

"I was eating lunch with Hillary yesterday when I saw a man roll by across the restaurant window. A few seconds later, a boy about half his height rolled along right behind him.

On our way home, we came across the man and his children skateboarding at a loading dock. They had a makeshift ramp set up over a small curb and were doing tricks off the ramp and on the curb. The kids were much better skaters than I ever was, and much, much more fearless!

I went over to talk to him. His name is Earl, his two sons are Parker (on the left) and Cole (on the right), who's about 5 years old. Earl grew up skateboarding, and it seems as if he passed on his sport to his children. Parker and Cole got new boards that day, just before they went to the loading dock, and were really excited to try them out!

It was really nice meeting them, it made me really happy seeing a father passing on his hobby and possibly passion on to his children. It was also really nice seeing him take the time out of his day to spend time with his children doing something that, as he said, he is 'much too old for'.

I hope I can one day meet Earl again and give him this photo."
Great story, great shot!! I hope you do find them and give them a copy!

rrdiaz30

Here are 3 images from downtown with a M9. The first two using a 35mm Summicron ASPH, the last with a 50mm Summicron Type 4.

Granite reflections in a rainstorm.

Spring colors.

The merging of organic and inorganic forms.

ShiroKuro

Hey Patrick your post got me a little nostalgic of days gone by ; ) Enjoy your summer holiday as you will see life starts speeding up and before you know it ........ you'll be photographing your nephew skateboarding .... my son is only two months old ,another month or so and I'll be sending him down the hill ,right now he is to small ...
The focusing part is easy ... just pre focused on a spot that I knew he would cross on the way down .. the hard part was his dad was sending him down and I was taking the pic and catching him ... I was laying on the ground to get this angle and I wanted the flare from the sun ,.... Kento is great to photograph ,very natural country boy . He has two older brothers and so insist on doing everything an older kid can do ... with a lot of determination ... He refers to himself as my sons older brother ; )

Here is a link to a great series based on a young girl .... Mirai-chan | Sokokashiko

Here are few from yesterdays walk through Waki .....

M8.2 35 summaron

Hosermage

Hey Jeff, looks like we went to the same faire! I saw a few canikon shooters with 2 foot long zooms and lots of phone shooter, but not much RF represented. Nice capture of your kids playing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.