The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_driscoll

Frank , You Got "Bagged" on # 1! Love It!:) Nice Juxtaposition & Comp On 2.
Frank: +1! Love #2! :thumbup:

Robert, Stunning Color & IQ! # 2 For Me!
Robert: +1 from me. #2 for me also. :thumbup:

Matt, I've really enjoyed your Palouse series, looks like a really surreal place.

Here's one from this morning (about an hour ago). It cost me a lot of blood (to the mosquito swarms) but I think it came out ok.

Daniel: Thank you, sir! I need to go back when I have more time and can get up early and stay late. I've heard that the light can be better then? :D
This was worth the mosquito bites! Brilliant composition with the line of the water and the bits of pink cloud reflection. Your landscapes always set a very high standard. :salute:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Too busy at work to contribute much lately, so my apologies. Had a new addition to the family over the weekend....no not a baby, another lens :D

The jury is still out as to whether this is my first lens 'error'. I went intending to buy a 90 Elmarit, and came away with a (pre-asph) 90 'cron....difficult to explain, but largely because of build quality and the desire (not need) for speed.

Anyway, took loads of images both Saturday and today, and I think I picked the wrong lens :( On the plus side, I think I understand what is meant by the classic Leica look. This thing is dreamy beyond belief but quite frankly I'm not sure I can cope with this degree of softness. Even when I think I've nailed it, it turns out barely anything is in focus. Even stopping down doesn't improve things much. BUT, when I definitely did nail it I can forgive the softness because of the overall 'feel' of the image, if that makes sense.

So, it's either a lens issue, my rangefinder or (possibly) my eyes :eek:

At web size, these are not going to tell you much, but these are a few of my keepers from this weekend. Forgive the long intro :eek:

Thanks for looking (and listening).

Mike
Mike: I can see what you mean. IMHO, #3 and #6 are the most appealing. Although, you might have wanted less softness in the girl in #6?

I'm, convinced that the Summarit will meet my infrequent 90mm needs. Slightly less $ then the Elmarit, and a lot less then the Summicron (both of which i've owned), designed for digital and compact. I just looked at the metadata in LR3 and confirmed my level of use at that length.

Cheers, Matt

shtarka1

Wow, I have been slacking, busy week-end at work with the college and pro sports teams back in action....had some fun with some local Leica guys this evening...

Ash, Sydney Pollack's Brother?:D Like The Tone, Grain & Hollywood Movie Producer Feel! Nice Set!

Mike Woods

Mike: I can see what you mean. IMHO, #3 and #6 are the most appealing. Although, you might have wanted less softness in the girl in #6?

I'm, convinced that the Summarit will meet my infrequent 90mm needs. Slightly less $ then the Elmarit, and a lot less then the Summicron (both of which i've owned), designed for digital and compact. I just looked at the metadata in LR3 and confirmed my level of use at that length.

Cheers, Matt

Thanks Matt, just to make it clear that what I posted were the better ones :)

Anyway, did a rough and ready test this morning. Results here if anyone wants to comment.

http://mikewoods.zenfolio.com/p103963714

Seems to me focus doesn't achieve acceptable (to me) sharpness until around f5.6-f8.

Mike

thrice

Great image Thrice! Did you use a graduated filter or were you able to master this dynamic range post op? Thanks. Gary P.
Hi Gary, thanks for your compliments :)
I used two grad ND's, one a Singh-Ray 3 stop reverse, the other a Singh-Ray 2 stop soft.

Daniel: Thank you, sir! I need to go back when I have more time and can get up early and stay late. I've heard that the light can be better then? :D
This was worth the mosquito bites! Brilliant composition with the line of the water and the bits of pink cloud reflection. Your landscapes always set a very high standard. :salute:
I think I should move to Northern Norway so that I can enjoy hours upon hours of sunset light at certain times of year.

Thanks for the compliments :eek:

Joe,Congrats & In Your Hand's...Look Out! These 2 For Me. Excellent!:)
Thanks Steve - my wife doesn't like to pose for me so I was very happy to get this capture of her. I usually use my dog as my main model but lately even she's starting to run away whenever I approach her with camera in hand ;-)

The oof rendering on this lens is fantastic - very smooth and handles difficult backgrounds without much fuss. I'm also impressed with the minimal CA wide open - this lens definitely earned its reputation.

Cheers,

JimCollum

More tests against a ruler reveal a back focus issue at all apertures. Dealer is happy to accept a return.

Mike
congrats! you thinking of staying with this type (do they have another in stock?) They're normally very sharp wide open, and have great rendering

jim

jeffnesh

A few from the Iowa State Fair...still getting the hang of the new M9. I'm missing more due to exposure than focus now (which I think is a good and fixable thing!)

All with M9 and Summicron-M 50mm:

1. f/4, 1/45, ISO 160

2. f/2.8, 1/60, ISO 400

3. f/4, 1/125, ISO 400

4. f/8, 1/250, ISO 200

Thanks for looking (more fair photos at my website)...

W

Wozza604

Great thread here, I'm really enjoying everyone's images! Those of you on the similar thread of FM forums will have seen these already, sorry for that.

This was with the M8+Zeiss Biogon 2/35

M9+Zeiss C Sonnar 1.5/50

M9+Zeiss Biogon 2/35

M9+Leica APO Summicron-M 2/75 ASPH

Status
Not open for further replies.