The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_R

Godrey,
practical example, let's look on lenses: 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.4.

You attach them to FF, APS-C, u43 cameras and get following effective focals and DoF:

24mm f/1.4 FF = ~35mm f/2 APS-C = ~50mm f/2.8
35mm f/1.4 FF = ~50mm f/2 APS-C = 70mm f/2.8 u43
50mm f/1.4 FF = 75mm f/2 APS-C = 100mm f/2.8 u43

The point is, observed by Wozza and Luka from Fredmiranda forum and others - by attaching wider lens to cropped sensor - you will not get the same magic, 3D - which you have with longer focal attached to FF.

At least when wide open.
When closed down - results are closer.

CharlesK

Cenek, thank you, much appreciated:) Very nice shot! Love the composition.

Another evening shot in Melbourne with the 24 Lux and M9:)

ceh

Cenek, thank you, much appreciated:) Very nice shot! Love the composition.

Another evening shot in Melbourne with the 24 Lux and M9:)

Charles,
great atmosphere of a night scene,beautiful composition.
:salute:
24/1,4 looks good:)

Godfrey

Godrey,
practical example, let's look on lenses: 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.4.

You attach them to FF, APS-C, u43 cameras and get following effective focals and DoF:

24mm f/1.4 FF = ~35mm f/2 APS-C = ~50mm f/2.8
35mm f/1.4 FF = ~50mm f/2 APS-C = 70mm f/2.8 u43
50mm f/1.4 FF = 75mm f/2 APS-C = 100mm f/2.8 u43

The point is, observed by Wozza and Luka from Fredmiranda forum and others - by attaching wider lens to cropped sensor - you will not get the same magic, 3D - which you have with longer focal attached to FF.

At least when wide open.
When closed down - results are closer.
Again, I disagree: these comparisons are misleading with respect to what I'm talking about.

The distinction that you're focusing on is the FoV/DoF relationship. Those will be different because they are dependent upon format. That's what the equivalence you are pointing to is concerned with.

The lens' drawing signature is the same in all cases ... it's an optical property of the lens based upon its light transmission properties. Those are invariant.

For instance, my Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8 fitted to an Olympus E-1 nets a package with the approximate FoV/DoF properties of a Nikon F3 with 180/2.8 lens fitted, but it is smaller and 1.3 stops faster. The drawing (aka rendering) qualities of the lens, however, are exactly the same as they were when fitted to the F3 - you simply see a smaller portion of the lens image circle.

The bottom line is that if you are talking about lens drawing characteristics, you get them given an adequately accurate sensor that allows the drawing characteristic of the lens to be imaged. But if you are looking for the FoV/DoF relationship of a 24x36mm format coupled with a lens drawing characteristic, the only way to obtain that is with a 24x36mm format camera AND a sensor that accurately images the lens drawing. They are two separate things combined together.

SYGTAFOTO

Godfrey/Jerry_R,

I'm not the moderator and while I enjoy the discussion, I don't think it belong in this thread specifically. I will follow the discussion if a new thread is created. I think this topic gets discussed with some regularity actually.

To those you commented on my pics, thank you very much. :)

Lloyd

Lloyd, stunning panorama of a shot!!!

Shots from Melbourne streets late in the evening. 35 Lux FLE and M9:)
Thanks Charles. Great shots here. I love the shadows in that first one. That second shot is interesting (and I got a kick out the fact that it's "Celestial Ave") It has a look like it could have been taken in Lisbon or somewhere in Spain. I was actually surprised to see it was Melbourne.

Lloyd

Cendo: Very nice series of images. I especially like the shot with the ladder. The light in that one is really impressive.

Lloyd

Always giving of herself.
(A cousin is in hospital following emergency surgery. It's still touch and go. Mimi decided since she couldn't do anything else to help, she could at least give blood.)

M8, Nocti 1.0 @ f1.4:

Mike Woods

Lloyd, Wozza, Joe, Ed, Gary, Charles - thanks for your comments.

Charles - like the Melbourne streets, especially the first. Enjoyed the processing as well.

Ceh - nice series.

Lloyd - powerful image behind the story, and still with a smile :) Really hope all goes well.

Mike

Godfrey

Godfrey/Jerry_R,

I'm not the moderator and while I enjoy the discussion, I don't think it belong in this thread specifically. I will follow the discussion if a new thread is created. I think this topic gets discussed with some regularity actually.

To those you commented on my pics, thank you very much. :)
Can't say I disagree. But discussion develops, springs out of looking at photographs and trying to analyze/understand them, so some digressions seem appropriate now and then.

PatrickCheung

Got a bit of catching up to do... but Mike Woods... your landscape set was quite amazing... I wouldn't mind a few of those hanging on my studio desk :]

Here are a few I took from the past week!

During the final few days of our first studio project. Wesley requested "candid" shots of him. Hillary had a nice shirt.

We concluded our first studio project yesterday with a day of critiques. Everyone gets dressed up for crits :] It was also Miho's birthday... people put up a bunch of balloons around her desk!

ceh

Got a bit of catching up to do... but Mike Woods... your landscape set was quite amazing... I wouldn't mind a few of those hanging on my studio desk :]

Here are a few I took from the past week!

During the final few days of our first studio project. Wesley requested "candid" shots of him. Hillary had a nice shirt.
We concluded our first studio project yesterday with a day of critiques. Everyone gets dressed up for crits :] It was also Miho's birthday... people put up a bunch of balloons around her desk!

..Patrick,
This is a great:thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.