The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardman

...it never would of occurred to me not to take photographs as that is why I would be at such an event ... How will this change your approach if at all other than just being careful ? As I read it they have an actual mandate to single out photographers and punish them . It will Be interesting to see the images coming out of the Chicago protest .....
Hi ShiroKuro, Thanks

First of all, there are some indications that some of these violent acts (may be not the ones directed toward photographers, but not sure...) are not done by the "real" protesters. I hope the truth will come out.

As for what I would personally do, I'd be careful :) Also, while I am pretty small (5'4" Chinese dude), I do know how to take care of myself, if you know what I mean. The smaller Leica (and the XPan) probably helps a little as they don't look as "pro" as a big Nikon or Canon///

m_driscoll

Thanks Matt :) As they say, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about....
To give you some context, over the past 2 days I've spent approx 11 hours walking, standing, watching and waiting .... I'm looking forward to going back to work tomorrow for a rest :wtf:
Mike
Mike: I believe we did conclude that you were a 'stalker', worked for it , and had a good 'eye' for humor! I believe, I also, said that everything in England was funnier then here! ;) Two more excellent shots. :salute:

Matt, wonderful colors, sights.:thumbs:
But whatever made you think I was a vegetarian?:eek:
Best.
Rayyan: Thanks! :D They look pretty good. I might become a vegetarian, this week. :D

Not far from here lies a very big city. We are in the Rif mountains. Berber country, Morocco.

A young man of 21 years, from the Berber Tribe, would leave his home and go on a journey.

His journey would last 30 years. When he would return, his father, mother, most of his family and friends would have been dead. The Black Plague was sweeping these parts from Europe.

The year is 1325. The young man would dictate his journey in a travel memoir, which would be more famously and erroneously known as the ' Rihla ' or the ' Journey'.

This man would have travelled 120,000 kms..on foot, on mules, camels and horses. He would have travelled to the furthest corners of China.
His journey would be unmatched till the advent of the steam engine.

The young man came from Tangiers or Tanja, as I know it. He would be known in the west as Ibn Batutta. The traveller.

p.s Those who have visited Dubai would have surely visited the Ibn Batutta Mall. The largest shopping arcade in the world. Named in honor of the traveller from Morocco.
Rayyan: Excellent story and photo! A shopping mall? :rolleyes: (might not be the right emoticon) :salute:

Wow this thread is moving right along with lots of great images!...

Matt, love B&W of the man on the swing. The hyperprime sure has some funky bokeh! I'm liking it...Thank you to everyone for the kind comments.
Andrew
Andrew: I wish it was mine. Actually, it's Ashwin's photo.

Well, I have to blow my horn a little bit more. This image just won the 2nd place in Soho Gallery (NYC)'s National Competition!
Woohooooo!!!
Richardman: Congratulations. Brilliant photo! :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Hosermage

On this day of the eclipse, we went to a small sculpture garden that didn't have much sculptures :-/ Maybe they're leaving room for more in the future. Anyway, had some fun:

Oh, did I mention there was a solar eclipse? I didn't get a good shot of the sun, but caught some interesting shadows. Reminds me of what someone said about shooting sunsets -- turn around!

rayyan

Beautiful. I have always wished to visit Tangiers, Rayyan, and this is my first glimpse of it here on the forum, Rayyan. Thanks for sharing.
Ashwin, thank you. The pic is from ChefChaouen, not far from Tangiers.
I honestly believe you would have a ball in Morocco. Let me know when you are going!!:D

Regards.

rayyan

Andrew, Patrick, Matt. Thank you all very much.

Andrew, this is from on the Eastern side of Morocco. Jumping distance from across Costa Del Sol in Spain or Gibraltar.

Best regards.

richardman

"Last one" from the Monument Valley. It took time to process it the way I really want. I'm pretty that this is with the 85/2 ZM. Ashwin, don't sell the lens, you will regret it! :) (honestly, I like this lens better than the 90/2 AA)

PatrickCheung

Matt, I love goats and cats... that cat on the left is so cute 8D And who DOESN'T want a goat?

David, I never knew eclipses made cool shadows! I've never seen an eclipse before... cool! Nice catch :)

PatrickCheung

Not quite sure how I felt about the day, started off kind of strange, though ended off decently. Nothing great, nothing horrible... got a new pair of headphones though! Really bassy, not quite crisp enough though.

I think part of the reason why I didn't have a great day was that I didn't take a photo that I absolutely loved today. To be honest, I haven't really taken one that I fell in love with for a while... since that photo of Ernesto. I miss being able to use a viewfinder, talking to my subjects, and feeling like I'm doing something more than just pushing a button. I miss knowing my subjects. It didn't matter if they lied to me, if they tricked me, or wronged me, at least they had a story. I feel like all I'm doing now is observing from the outside. such a technique really works for some, and many have mastered it, many produce great work with it, but it's not me!

Despite my complaining, I photographed anyway (very Aeneas, right, Hillary?)... here's what I got from today!

I saw this kid skipping happily down the street :) Had to catch it

The lady was really fidgetty... looked really nervous. There was just something about her and this moment that I had to capture, even though it's mundane.

This man kept talking really loudly. There were two other men of his age walking with him, so I thought he was talking with his friends. Though, once the men walked ahead and disappeared, he kept talking...

I got a little bored of shooting from the hip, so I decided to try experimenting with long exposures! One was taken while going down an escalator, and another while walking through a mall :) It's kinda fun! I could definitely see a possible series of photos taken with long exposures... maybe just to capture the hustle and bustle of the city. My sensor is also kinda dirty.

dude163

Patrick, great shots, I agree, I cant just take shots on the street without knowing their backstory or even their names! Iprefer to have a connection to the subjects.

I like your long exposures, BUT.............. it looks like you need to clean your sensor :)

Rayyan, that cat shot is cool, and I dont even like cats!

Richard: Monument valley is monumental! nicely seen

Lloyd

I am ridiculously behind on this thread. On the upside, as I go through them this morning I am simply blown away by the quality of the images here!

Commenting on what I'd missed clear back from page 116:

Matt, these are all really great. Super processing. Love the 'don't even think about....' sign in the first!

Mike
Plus 1 to both!

After playing with the MM files... I still have B/W on my mind...
Very kewl shot, David. And yes, I think you're busted by the bubbles!

Great pics as usual! Some mouth-watering, some over-whelming...
Always takes courage to post in this thread. I'll chip in with a recent take from the Chora Museum, Istanbul. M8 with 21mm Super-Elmar-M.
Best,
Osman
Beautiful detail, Osman. Spot on color too.

I don't usually do pano's but here is a hand held one with 28 Elmarit asph...
Those badlands are impressive, Gary, and I pano works really well to present it.

Still on the Hong Kong Theme

Andrew
Holy cow, Andrew! What a set!

Gah! spent too much time reading Monochrom reviews :)

I was at an auction on friday and next door they have an outdoor railway museum, so I popped out with the kids and took some snaps in the harsh sunlight , bad time to take shots? Not when i was looking for tones and shadows! heheh so I can safely say that I can get by with the older M8 instead of a Monochrom.......................................for now :p
I love old trains. Great set (and really excellent monochrome), Robert.

I had an interesting day yesterday! I visited my grandpa's grave... thingy (on my mother's side). Chinese visitation traditions are very interesting. Due to the lack of space in Hong Kong, people rent/buy little shelves in funeral homes to store Urns. There's a name on the Urn, a photo of the person, and any gifts that people bring. My Grandpa had a can of Tsing Tao beer beside his urn. We offer them food (oranges and buns), burn incense, say prayers, and offer them paper money/clothes by burning them.

My aunt took us around yesterday. She's the coolest aunt, she knows exactly what I like in Hong Kong. "Don't waste your time going to the new places and eating new food, you really want to be in the old places eating Hong Kong food." The funeral home was located in a rather old district, really cool. We ate at a restaurant that's been there for over 40 years, with most of their original wall tiles intact.

On a side note, the Zeiss 28 is an amazing chunk of glass!
Loving you shots from HK, Patrick. And I agree with Ashwin, your processing skills are improving and are quite excellent now.

Okay, a few more from me...M9 and SLR Magic Hyperprime T0.95 on Leica M9....
Sheesh, Ashwin. Is there no mercy? Love what you're doing with that 'Magic'!

Status
Not open for further replies.