The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesK

David, nice shot!
Patrick, great story and shots. I'm enjoying your journey:)

Shots from this afternoon in the older parts of Tainan:) 24 Lux and 50 Nocti.

Lloyd

Nice pix, Patrick. Interesting contrast between the sides of your family. Sad about your mother's side, but great to have the relationships of your father's side. Enjoy your time with them, it passes much too quickly.

Lloyd

David, nice shot!
Patrick, great story and shots. I'm enjoying your journey:)

Shots from this afternoon in the older parts of Tainan:) 24 Lux and 50 Nocti.

Great stuff, Charles. Hard to single out any of them, but I really love this one.

PatrickCheung

:) thanks for the comments guys! Lloyd, I agree... its a shame I live on the other side of the world from my dad's side of the family. Time does pass much too quickly...

Charles, the shots from Tainan are beautiful... and everytime I see them, I want myself a Nocti... and the ability to shoot so comfortably! Great travel photos :) keep up the good work. My favourite is the one of the man on the bike :)

PatrickCheung

Had a good day today :) Took lots of photos and even got to know a guy here in Hong Kong!

Here's stranger number 9

We took a walk along the Tsim Sha Tsui harbour today, a place my parents frequented when they were dating. They tell me that it's become a tourist attraction now, and that Hong Kong has expanded a lot, a lot of man-made land has been added to it. The area was filled with tourists from mainland China, Singapore, the Philippines, and of course... my family :)

I saw a man fishing (not an uncommon sight here) on the edge of the harbour. A tourist was standing next to him, asking him something, but the fisherman didn't understand Mandarin... and the tourist didn't understand Cantonese. "I don't understand what you're saying, understand?" he tells the tourist. I laugh, and he looks at me "I don't get what he's saying, and he doesn't understand what I'm saying, but it's rude to just ignore him" the fisherman says to my family.

He reels in a fish, "the spikes in the fin are poisonous" he says to the china-man. The china-man nods, then leaves. My mom asks him if he caught anything today, and he says "I've caught three." My mother asks him if he eats the fish. "I just come here to pass the time." he says. The breeze from the water is nice, keeps you cool. It's not a bad place to relax!

The man uses a small orange handle with fishing wire wrapped around it. It looks like it's a kite handle.

I've decided that complaining about shooting from the hip is useless 'cause I'll have to do it anyway. Instead, I'll try to get better at it... I got a few shots I liked today...

These goofy guys were sitting infront of 3 bikes and sign that said "Biking around the world!" :p They say they're from argentina

Sleepy cat :)

I also took a look at the used Leica equipment here in Hong Kong... the prices are ridiculous. Rangefinder photography... and photography in general in Hong Kong has become somewhat of an Aristocratic hobby... with skill being an optional requirement. The dealers here acknowledge this, and know exactly who's going to buy and who's just there for a look. It's a judgement based on appearance (do you look like you'd have the money to blow, or do you look like a bum?) and whatever equipment you have hanging out. My shorts, tee, cheap watch ($150...) and M8 with Zeiss glass (has to be modern leica glass, or rare vintage glass) all point to me being too poor to play the leica game. Dealers dismiss people like me. I asked for the price of a lens... "a few thousand" they say, knowing that I wouldn't buy anyway. I am tempted to leave each store with a very kindly, happily toned "eat a dick", flash them a smile, give them a slight nod, and see if they know what I'm saying.

There WAS one leica dealer that wasn't horribly rude. There's a chain of camera stores, Tin Cheung Camera. The location in Tsim Sha Tsui at the K11 Art Mall is full of nice, helpful employees.

Lloyd

Great set, Patrick. One of your best. Love the fisherman, and the first two from the hip shots are really terrific. The stern look on the face of the man in each makes it. Nicely done!

ashwinrao1

Agreed with Lloyd. Along with the "drunk" series, one of my favorites from you, Patrick. hope to see you and Hilary in Seattle this summer!

Best,
Ashwin

PatrickCheung

You'll see us for sure :) I'm changing my flight to early july so I can spend two whole months with my beloved! Just give us a shout when you guys are meeting up!

snowboarder

XPro-1 with APO Telyt 135

Can you please share your impressions about working with this combo?
I have the 135 Telyt and it's not the easiest lens to focus,
even with liveview on my NEX-5N. Its focus plane is very shallow...
How is Fuji X-Pro1 handling the focus with a lens like that?
I assume you use the LCD...

hillary.hc.chang

Charles: still loving your portraits from Tainan :)
and hi Patrick :) just when i think you're gone for the day, you pop up somewhere else xD

finally out of my photography rut! :D I went to my high school's grad showcase for their creative arts department which I had participated in last year. Keeping up the standards xD so lots of really good work as usual. I always get a funny feeling when I photograph artwork, so I shot during the drama presentation. I also snuck out near the end and walked around the grounds for a bit :p

PatrickCheung

Vancouver's so pretty... It'd be fun to see what you can do with that Rollei on your school grounds! When you mentioned a forest by your school, I didn't imagine that. We have this dinky forest near my school... twiggy trees and weeds.... that's what I imagined! The dynamic range and detail in those photos... so impressive! Hillary, you're gaining a lot of traction with this photography thing :)

hillary.hc.chang

If you like this forest then you should see the rest of Vancouver xD I was actually surprised when we landed just how much nature there is here.. We'll sneak back into my high school when you're here and you can see it for yourself 8D and thanks Patrick :) I guess I'm improving..?

Hosermage

Well, for my borders, I'm sticking with the LR export plugin because I don't have photoshop and will probably be too lazy to open it. I experimented more and found the correct settings to put the annotations on the outer border and tweaked it some more... So here's one shot of my son with his mischievous smile:

I also detailed my settings here: Automatic photo borders with Lightroom... - LeicaLux

Gary Clennan

Very nice Hillary. I also like the forest shot - great colors. The B&W shot looks a little "hazy" - is this the result of the lens type or PP? And yes, Vancouver is a great city with ton's of outdoor activities and beautiful nature.

Gary Clennan

That border looks fine David. Does Photoshop come complete with a set of standard borders? I will likely just stick with the LR4 preset.

Status
Not open for further replies.