The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude163

Almost destroyed my M8 testing the serenar 85 yesterday!!

here is how close I was.......

my feet and lower legs got soaked , close call says I

unfortunately, above my head is a sprayer that goes off every 30 minutes for the kids , I stood there about 29 minutes after it last went off..............

so allof a sudden I got my back and head soaked and held the camera under my body and stepped away , and of course took a shot of the culprit.

then my kids yell at me " DAD! dont go in the water with the camera!!!' really! kids :)

Lloyd

Iceland is an amazingly beautiful country, with deep fjords, tall mountains, glaciers and volcanos. But one of the things we were most impressed by was the waterfalls. It is not an exaggeration to say that there are hundreds upon hundreds of waterfalls ("foss" in Icelandic) there. Some are small, others large, with impressive amounts of water passing over them. Last Friday we made an hour-long hike to one of the many very impressive falls, this one, Gylmurfoss, happens to be, at 193 meters, the tallest in the country.

This shot, taken with the M8 and the CV 15/4.5 Superwide, only shows the top half of the falls. The lower section is only visible from down in the gorge, and is therefor nearly inaccessible.

The hike starts at the end of Hvalfjörður, a 30km-long fjord, north of Reykjavik. (Hvalfjörður was the location of the US and British naval bases during WWII.)

The hike is a little treacherous in places, but the views are worth the trouble. We hiked up to the level of the top of the falls. Btw, just above Mimi's head in this shot, the little peninsula of land coming out from the left is Hvammsvík, and was home to the US Navy base during WWII. (M8, 35 Cron)

The climb up requires crossing the river below the falls (a bit unnerving), and some very steep sections, which fortunately have fixed ropes in place. Those were especially useful on descent.

And to get down to the level river, one has to pass through a very kewl lava tube tunnel.

This hike was one of our favorites in Iceland.

Lloyd

Located in the Eastfjords area of Iceland is the beautiful village of Seyðisfjörður. Situated at the end of a 17km-long fjord, and home to an art colony, Seyðisfjörður is a pretty sleepy place other than on Thursdays, when the ferry arrives from Norway. The only land access is via a spectacular drive over the mountain pass, Fjarðarheiði, a total drive of 28km from the town of Egilsstaðir.

BTW, on the side of the fjord, and above and to the left of Seyðisfjörður, I counted 40 waterfalls in the space of less than a mile.

This is an 8-shot pano, taken about 9km from the town, from the base of the Stafdalur ski station. (M8, 35 Cron)

Last edited:

Lloyd

Land of the Midnight Sun, really.

I took this at 11:34pm, and it's actually sort of a sunrise.

We had some mountains to our West, so the sun actually set, relative to us, about an hour or so before. However, here in the north of Iceland, at nearly 66° North Latitude, the sun barely sets at all. It goes down to near the horizon, and then moves along the horizon from West to North to East. And it never gets dark; by 3:15am it's almost as bright as it is at noon. (The hardest thing for me when I got home was getting use to darkness again. Hadn't seen darkness for nearly two weeks.)

In the image below the sun has moved to the north, and has become visible to again at the mouth of the fjord. It's also not as dark as it looks, the extreme DR of the image results in the contrast that makes it look darker than it does to the naked eye.

M8, CV 75/2.5 Heliar

Last edited:

Lloyd

Seyðisfjörður, looking back up the valley toward where the previously posted shot was taken.

M8, 35 Cron, 3-shot pano:

Stuart Richardson

Lloyd, it was great to meet you! Thanks for the portraits, I really appreciate it! I am glad you got a chance to make it to some of the places I recommended -- particularly Seyðisfjörður...it is really a magical town. I think you really lucked out with the weather too...it was beautiful for most of the time you were here. Though it is fairly small geographically, Iceland is an incredibly diverse country...so I do not doubt that there are still places for you to explore. It´s worth another visit! I have lived here about four years now, and first came here seven years ago...and I still feel like I have barely scratched the surface! What´s more, it changes dramatically throughout the year. The green fields of June turn red, orange and yellow in the fall, to white in the winter and back to green again in the spring, and since the path of the sun is so extreme, the light is dramatically different depending on the season, radically altering the landscape.

As for all the comments on my age...well, I am 34 this year...I think I would look younger but for all the coffee! But it was great to meet Lloyd and his group. I moved here for the love of the country, and it's always fun for me to meet people of similar interests who are passing through. I have met a number of great people through this and other forums...even one of my best friends. It really is great to have access to a broader community through a forum like this.

Ashwin -- those fields are stunning. It's hard to believe they are real...they are so sterile in a certain way....

In the spirit of the thread, here are a few quick snapshots out my window, taken around midnight a day or two ago...our sunsets have been gorgeous. Unfortunately, my car has been waiting to be repaired for about a month now, so I have not been able to go out of town, despite the great weather! It's really frustrating...

Status
Not open for further replies.