The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

animefx

The hike is a little treacherous in places, but the views are worth the trouble. We hiked up to the level of the top of the falls. Btw, just above Mimi's head in this shot, the little peninsula of land coming out from the left is Hvammsvík, and was home to the US Navy base during WWII.
(M8, 35 Cron)
Wow I love these! I've always wanted to visit Iceland and get proper landscape photos. I've heard surprisingly affordable to play a trip there.

dude163

Stuart !! wow! I have to go to iceland for a vacation with the family, very cool!
Lloyds shots are awesome also , especially the guide in the cave with the light streaming in

Iceair used to fly to and from Halifax ( only 250 KM away!) on a regular basis, but they stopped a few years ago, dang!

Lloyd

Stuart: Thanks again. And yes, we really were lucky weather-wise. Only a little rain one day, and fairly decent temps. Gorgeous sunsets indeed. Sorry you couldn't get out of town to enjoy the weather. I have to say, however, that with the national holiday on Sunday, Reykjavik was a lot of fun, so not too bad to have to stick around, eh?

animefx: Thanks for the kind words. Yes, Icelandair has a number of direct flights from the US each week, and the prices are pretty good. Once you're in the country, you'll need to watch your budget, however. Gas ran us (assuming my conversions are accurate) about $8US/gallon. And food (which I LOVED, btw), is pricey. But with some planning, and a little luck (which we had on more than just the weather), it's not bad at all. We avoided the more expensive hotels, and opted for guesthouses and smaller hotels. Beyond price, I'm glad we did, as it gave us more of chance to connect with the locals, which I really enjoyed. Oh, and very cool inverted shot, btw.

Robert: Thanks for the comment. That sux that they stopped the flights from Halifax. I did see flights from a number of other places in Canada, but none that close to you.

Last edited:

m_driscoll

A few of mine to share from our trip to the Palouse.

M9; 24mm f/3.8; 1/4000s @ f/8; ISO 160

M9; 90mm f/2.5; 1/1500s @ f/8; ISO 160

M9; 35mm f/1.4; 1/250s @ f/16; ISO 160

M9; 35mm f/1.4; 1/750s @ f/8; ISO 160

M9; 35mm f/1.4; 1/3000s @ f/1.7; ISO 160

M9; 35mm f/1.4; 1/4000s @ f/2.4; ISO 160

M9; 90mm f/2.5; 1/1000s @ f/5.7; ISO 160

M9; 90mm f/2.5; 1/1000s @ f/5.7; ISO 160

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

CharlesK

Lloyd, another amazing set of shots, of the falls, and your trek. Love that "sunrise shot" :thumbs:
Robert, superb duo toned portrait! Great lens too :D
Jim, lovely rendering in the shots with the 35 Lux Pre Asph:)
Ashwin, great set from Palouse:thumbup: Beautiful compositions!
Stuart, love those midnight shots:)
animefx, fascinating shot! Very nice:)
Matt, superb series of shots!!! Beautiful composition, colour and PP'ing:thumbup:

DwF

Wow, lot's of action in three days!

Matt, I know the Palouse a bit and you've done really well capturing the landscape with these that you posted. It is always a nice way to clear one's head driving out and through there!

Hilary, Thank you for your comment. I have enjoyed both seeing but also sensing the spirit you bring to the pics that you make and have posted here. Yes! Vancouver is a wonderful if little :) city. I love it more and more.

Robert, thanks for your comment, the last one you posted (B&W) is particularly nice!

Lloyd, those (portrait of Stuart as well as the landscapes) from Iceland are wonderful.

Animefx, that first post really stopped me in my scrolling tracks :) I love how in the action you are there and of course the color and expression.

Mohammad, Thank you, and yes I love the 35 lens but the Vancouver False Creek was taken with my 21mm Elmarit.
Those captures of your girls are beautiful and I agree with Matt, they have a Felini like playfulness.

Charles, your recent portraits are quite striking- excellent light and composition.

shtarka1

One of the things I've enjoyed most about this Forum is getting to know likeminded people from around the world. Some here I now count as dear friends, even though most I have never met in person.

When I have the chance, I love to meet others from the forum in person. In every case so far, doing so been a very positive experience. The most recent time, on June 7th in Reykjavik, Iceland is a perfect example. Below is our own Stuart Richardson. (As many of you know, Stuart, in addition to being a very fine photographer, is a wealth of information on photography in general, and has probably forgotten more of the technical aspects of shooting, film, and especially printing, than most of us have ever known!)

Stuart has lived in Iceland for the past few years, and prior to our trip was kind enough to send us a number of suggestions on places to visit, etc. I can tell you that I think we followed every one of his suggestions, and were not disappointed!

The day we arrived, we met Stuart as his lab, Custom Photo Lab, and he took the time to show us around, and was even brave enough to join us for a lunch at a great place he suggested near the harbor. Great food, and a great visit. Very nice to get to know Stuart better. Thank you, Stuart!

BTW, Stuart even let me handle his Leica S2. I haven't washed my hands since! ;)

Aint Life Grand! So Nice To See Stuart! Great Images & Trip Lloyd!!!

shtarka1

Land of the Midnight Sun, really.

I took this at 11:34pm, and it's actually sort of a sunrise.

We had some mountains to our West, so the sun actually set, relative to us, about an hour or so before. However, here in the north of Iceland, at nearly 66° North Latitude, the sun barely sets at all. It goes down to near the horizon, and then moves along the horizon from West to North to East. And it never gets dark; by 3:15am it's almost as bright as it is at noon. (The hardest thing for me when I got home was getting use to darkness again. Hadn't seen darkness for nearly two weeks.)

In the image below the sun has moved to the north, and has become visible to again at the mouth of the fjord. It's also not as dark as it looks, the extreme DR of the image results in the contrast that makes it look darker than it does to the naked eye.

M8, CV 75/2.5 Heliar
Stunning!

Lloyd

The town of Höfn, located on the southeast corner of Iceland, is the eastern gateway to the Vatnajökull glacier, which occupies a large portion of that part of Iceland. Höfn is primarily a fishing village, but the surrounding area has served as a filming location for feature films including the James Bond movies Die Another Day and A View to a Kill, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, and Batman Begins. (BTW, a local restaurant called Kaffi Hornið, served some great food, and especially good was it's traditional Icelandic "Meat Soup". Almost good enough to justify a trip to Iceland just to get another bowl!! No kidding!)

At the recommendation of the owner of the guesthouse where we stayed, we set off to do a hike along the nearest glacial tongue of Vatnajökull, called Hoffellsjökull, which by itself would be a considered a large glacier by most standards, but is one of the smaller tongues here. The drive is several kilometers from the town on Highway 1, and then about 6 or 8 more over bumpy gravel roads to the moraine at the foot of the glacier.

We hiked out along the south side of the glacier as far as we could safely go. Here's Mimi high on the hillside above the glacier:

Standing on an iceberg in the glacial lagoon, with a large ice arch in the background:

The hotspots where we warmed up after the hike:

Last edited:

shtarka1

Wow... david... 1/12 of a second... that's amazing. I actually have trouble getting shots at 1/60. I don't know if it's my hands, or my subjects, that are moving too much.

Still not digital, but I figured i'd share anyway...

Hillary and I like taking walks around Cambridge. We saw a couple sitting under a bridge one day and decided to go there on our next walk. It was kinda nice there... a lot of bugs though :( There's a little bit of graffiti down there, mostly words. Some tasteful, some not so much. Here's one that was really sweet. This was a few months ago :)

:thumbs:

Lloyd

One of the coolest things I saw in Iceland wasn't the scenery, but rather an photography exhibition in a very unexpected place. On the moraine of the Hoffellsjökull glacier, miles from any town, or even a highway, and high above the glacier lagoon, out among the rocks and in the weather, an Icelandic photographer, SIGURÐUR MAR HALLDÓRSSON, had placed a gallery of some of his work. He called the exhibit "Manneskjan go Ísinn" (The Human and the Ice). Here is a link to the photos in the exhibit: hoffell

We saw a couple of the photos when we first arrived, but thought that someone had just tossed them out on the moraine. Then we saw this sign:

The images are about 16x20, or maybe a little larger, are mounted on blocks of concrete (movable, but with no small effort.), and have a waterproof coating of some sort. Here you can see four of them along the glacier-side of the moraine. What a great idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.