The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickCheung

Lloyd, we were still in Vancouver! But we're planning a trip for Seattle next weekend :) I'd like to think we can have fun!

Moh, It'd be great to get a few editing tips from you :p Your processing style is great! I always find myself wondering how you get such nicely balanced shots in harsh sunlight... thats something I can't do.

Michael, that's a lovely Summitar... I wish I had one in that condition! I think I'll pick up another copy someday, something in a better shape, if I had extra money to burn!

I think I might pick up an "ugly" condition 90/4 elmar this week from KEH... $60, can't really beat that price for a lens I'm not planning to use often! I've been captivated by film point and shoots lately... I bought an Olympus Mju-II Zoom 80 (Stylus Epic Zoom 80) yesterday and had quite a blast with it! Though, Hillary's right, it's a waste of money when I have a fully functioning Olympus XA.

Anyway, I shot this roll last week...

And I met another stranger that day... Aihara!

Aihara approached me and Hillary at the Bridgeport Canada Line station in Vancouver (the Canada Line is their equivalent of a subway system) with a big smile on his face, asking us about our cameras. We decided to shoot some medium format that day, she had her Rolleicord and I had my Autocord.

"6cm by 6cm right?" he asked, "I used to own one when I was a kid!" I told him I almost bought a 4x4, but I went with 6x6 so that Hillary and I could shoot the same film this summer. Aihara mentioned that Rolleiflexes went for a lot back in the day. I told him that I was using a Minolta Autocord, which cost much less, $200. Aihara laughed at the price, then said "Japanese knock off, very good!" The train arrived and we hopped on together.

Aihara is a Japanese man, but was born in China. He moved back to Japan when he was 9, and moved to Vancouver when he was 24. He's been in Vancouver for 40-ish years. He carries a Nikon Coolpix bridge camera with him, one of those point and shoots that look like DSLRs with huge zoom lenses. "Big zoom, bad IQ, lots of aberration. But cheap!"

We got off at the same stop, he looked back and waved at us with a smile, and shouted out a nice, loud "Bye!"

I feel like making an album of Hillary at the end of my trip... :)

Lloyd

Nice portrait, and an interesting historical vignette on Aihara. Love those sorts of encounters. Now days, I'm the old guy talking to people about their cameras.

Sorry about the Seattle mistake. I thought you mentioned the Space Needle, so I assumed.

Last edited:

sjg284

Been a bit since I posted..

Finally got out for some shooting @ Bastille Day NYC

all M8 & 50lux v2

Just felt like a vertical day... what can I say..

ashwinrao1

Paris, Je t'aime!

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I have shared, but I have been busy with travel and photography, as always. I just returned from a trip to Paris with the M9 (primarily) and Fuji XPro-1 (as a back up), and present to you these captures for discussion, comments, constructive criticism, and critique, if you see fit. I got to be part of Bastille Day Festivities on hand in Paris...such a vibrant city, with both hope mixed with romance and despair...A potent elixit and concoction worthy of endless photographic opportunities and inspiratation....see, my words get flowery...so without much further adieu, the pics....

I hope that you are all well! All the best!

Your friend, Ashwin

Lloyd

Wow! Just flat out Wow, Ashwin. That first shot in particular. (You really need to get out more, you know! ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.