The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickCheung

Bruniroquai... I'm loving that photo of your father! I'll try shooting 1250 sometime...

Got my first roll back from the little $20 Olympus Mju-II Zoom-80 I picked up last week! Cute camera, decently sharp lens, the flash causes the lens to flare, bad film... fun roll. People never liked the Zoom-80 model... "cheap" slow zoom lens. But I found it rather fun to use. The lens is sharp, a little slow, but sharp. As long as you didn't zoom with it, you were golden!

It has a few photos from the raspberry-picking trip we went on :)

A bird pooped on Hillary's shorts. I bought new jeans that day, so I changed into them and gave her my pants! I think she pulls them off better than I do! This doesn't mean she wears the pants in the relationship... I hope.

Berry picking is rather fun... almost therapeutic. It seemed like Jean (Hillary's mother) was skeptical bout it at first, but she ended up loving it... filling two buckets full of berries and begging to continue when Seth (Hillary's father) said we had to go :p

I'm kinda ugly, but she's cute.

We attended the midnight premier for Dark Knight Rises yesterday (well... 12:00AM yesterday)! It wasn't that good, kinda disappointing really. Though the Dark Knight DID set a really high standard... anyway, it was rainy when we woke up the next morning (or later on that morning) so we decided to order in some pizza and watch the other Christopher Nolan Batmans :) I kind of think Dark Knight Rises was the worst of the three... but everyone else disagrees. Anyway... a few photos from our lazy day :) After we cleaned up our pizza mess of course...

Lloyd

Patrick: Clearly, you guys aren't having any fun. :D. Nice shots; yes the pants work on her... and probably for the family. ;)

Rayyan: Gorgeous color. Palpable.

Aceshooter: Beautiful set; very peaceful. One would be hard pressed from these shots to realize the devastation that was there in Haiti.

Last edited:

mAlKhamis

Rayyan, Patrick, Matt, Lloyd, thank you so much for the kind words, i really appreciate it! cheers! my friends !

Michael, beautiful images for the baby, i like the colors and lights, nice job !

Patrick, what a stunning set ! from the raspberry-picking, well done buddy !

Some few moments from the SF pride parade , with m9 and 50 cron

Ping ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Gazing ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Oh ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

m_driscoll

I went 'trolling' for some unprocessed (I think) Leica images and found these from 2011. Seattle's Pike Place Market.

M9; Zeiss 18mm f/4; 1/45s; ISO 80

M9; Zeiss 18mm f/4; 1/60s; ISO 80

M9; Zeiss 18mm f/4; 1/90s; ISO 80

M9; Zeiss 18mm f/4; 1/125s; ISO 80

M9; Zeiss 18mm f/4; 1/4000s; ISO 80

M9; Zeiss 18mm f/4; 1/1500s; ISO 80

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

PatrickCheung

Ace, nice shots from Haiti :p

Lloyd, we're horribly bored :( Vancouver is just too lame! Haha :) in all honesty though.. much fun has been had, and will be had! Might make a weekend trip to Seattle next weekend... picking up new lenses (for the both of us) and doing a little sight seeing!

Moh, thanks! And another lovely set! I wish I could capture moments like you do... You've got a good sense of timing, and you seem to be at all the right places at the right times :p

There was an arts and music festival at the Kitsilano area today... it was rather fun! "40+ Bands, 10 Blocks, 1 Free street party" said the poster... that summed it up quite well.

Leo the Demon RBC Lion... so creepy.

I really don't like seeing guys like these at festivals... the people who go there just to get photos, not enjoy the festival. He was standing maybe 10 meters away from the band he was watching, in the shade, with his own music blasting... but having a great time shooting the show. Asian fathers who think owning expensive equipment means having photographic talent. Who I used to be with a gripped semi-pro DSLR and 80-200 with a back-up body and a 35/2 mounted. If I could punch Past-rick in the face, I would. These are the same guys who will drive up Leica prices in Asia just because they have the money to flip photographic goods. To me, seeing these types of photographers brings about an anger much like Lloyd's when he sees Ferraris parked in his spot (a handful pages back, for context :p)

Hillary also bought a nice polka dot dress at the festival, to match my polka dot bowtie and spotted shirt :p We found an empty tent outside a sporting goods store and she decided to change in there... :)

Hillary looking rather beautiful...

And to top it all off... Hillary ACTUALLY looking beautiful :)

Hosermage

Hi Matt,

All of these 18mm shots doesn't have that ultra-wide feel or distortion. I'm just wondering if they're cropped or "fixed" in PP? The one with the pink umbrella looks especially cool to me.

I went 'trolling' for some unprocessed (I think) Leica images and found these from 2011. Seattle's Pike Place Market.

M9; Zeiss 18mm f/4; 1/4000s; ISO 80

Shashin

I really don't like seeing guys like these at festivals... the people who go there just to get photos, not enjoy the festival. He was standing maybe 10 meters away from the band he was watching, in the shade, with his own music blasting... but having a great time shooting the show. Asian fathers who think owning expensive equipment means having photographic talent. Who I used to be with a gripped semi-pro DSLR and 80-200 with a back-up body and a 35/2 mounted. If I could punch Past-rick in the face, I would. These are the same guys who will drive up Leica prices in Asia just because they have the money to flip photographic goods. To me, seeing these types of photographers brings about an anger much like Lloyd's when he sees Ferraris parked in his spot (a handful pages back, for context :p)
Patrick, do you personally know this guy? Are you sure he is not a professional and just working? Are you sure he is equating equipment with talent or, perhaps like you, simply enjoys using these tools. Don't people have the right to buy and sell their equipment as they like? Why the anger? How do these folks stop you from enjoying photography? This guy may not be any different than members in this forum.

This reminds me of your run it with a guy that did not like you photographing homeless people. He was just projecting his prejudice onto you.

Why is it that photographers can't get along?

I am not sure it is the same as Lloyd's case--someone had taken his marked parking space. What did this guy do to you?

Sounds like time for a group hug.

Peace.

Last edited:

PatrickCheung

Very Very true, Shashin, and I apologize for my rudeness and any negative image I've brought onto the nice people of this forum.

To be honest, I'm really just projecting myself onto him. I don't really get along with the things I used to do with regards to photography... basically most of what I wrote about the man was more or less a description of myself.

He didn't hinder me from enjoying photography, actually, I didn't pay him much notice at all. I snapped a photo and left. Though I wrote the piece after the post out of impulse, after reading a small thread on a forum about photographic pet peeves. In hindsight (after a good nights rest and a nice shower), that was a poor choice.

Thanks for the reminder, and respectful approach, friend :)

GaryAyala

Live and let live.

For some maybe the festival is all about photography ... and maybe through photography he finds pleasure. I've been to many fairs/festivals where my enjoyment came from capturing the exceptional image. I love shooting people ... there just happens to be a lot of people at fairs and festivals.

I know I'm new here, but I'm not new to photography or life. There is nothing wrong ethically or morally with his behavior, so don't sweat it. Just be glad that you are beyond what he represents to you. I won't photograph homeless because of my code ... I don't expect others to follow my code (as it is my code) ... so end of story.

Patrick, spend the time and energy used to be angry at others to better/improve your own self and life ... and you'll live longer and happier and those around you will also be happier .

Gary

PS- I posted the above before seeing your post. So ... you've pretty much said it all.
G

Last edited:

mAlKhamis

Matt, Really lovely set ! nice job !

Patrick, thank you so much for the kind words, Ok ! the only reason for that super power is that, because i don't have a super pretty lovely model/girlfriend like Hillary to distract me from that action/thank god :p guys i truly wish to meet you both someday and i truly wish a bright future filled with love and happiness, good for you both :) cheers!

PatrickCheung

Thanks Gary!

In all honesty, I spent the entire day feeling bad about what I wrote. I didn't tell Hillary about this yet mostly because I'm more ashamed of it than anything. I woke up this morning realizing it wasn't really fair for me to say things like that... and it makes me no better than the man in Toronto who bothered me about photographing the homeless. It also brings a bad name to the people of this forum, and I'm sorry for doing that.

I get riled up really easily, over small little things. Part of it has to do with the environment I grew up in, part of it is just me letting it get to me, and part of it is just me projecting my most negative thoughts on people who don't deserve it. It's a problem I have, one that I haven't noticed much until I let it slip and you guys confronted me about it. I spent the day thinking about it... and I decided that I want to change that aspect of me. I'll work on it... it's something that I realized I REALLY don't like about myself. It's not fair to assume, and it's not fair to project those assumptions onto people, especially if they're negative.

I'm also rather glad you guys took the time to respectfully remind me of my mistake. It's strange, and kinda cool, that a group of people that I've never met before can inspire me to better myself. Thanks for taking the time to look out for me, and sorry for all the negativity.

This forum has a great reputation for it's kindness... and I'll do my best to play my part in maintaining that reputation.

Now, if you'll allow me... I do have a few photos from today I'd like to share :)

I think today was a great day for self-reflection. We started off our morning early (okay, 10AM isn't early for most people... but it is for those who sleep at 3AM) with a big Dim Sum breakfast. The Changs eat... quite a lot compared to my family :p It's always nice eating with them... 'cause they order everything, and I get to try a little bit of it all!

We swung by downtown Vancouver to pick up a little point and shoot film camera. An Olympus Mju-ii (or Stylus Epic in north america). I've been a little obsessed with point and shoot cameras lately just because a handful of them come packed with a sharp, contrasty, and relatively fast lens, and they're incredibly easy to operate! Anyone can use them, they're light, they're fast... what's not to like?

Then Hillary and I took a trip up to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. It's a little tourist park in North Vancouver across a small canyon with a 100m long suspension bridge that joins the two sides of the park! The park was basically a big trail in the rainforest. Part of the path goes into the treetops with mini suspension bridges connecting each tree in the path. Part of it is composed of a cantilevered boardwalk that hangs off rock, land, and trees. It was beautiful... a perfect place to reflect :p Peaceful, calm... a very positive place.

The bridges swung up and down and side to side as kids ran across it... you felt as if you'd get thrown off by the swinging. Hillary was kinda scared :p

But when we got back on land, she looked much happier

I really suck at taking landscapes and photos of things that aren't people... actually... I'm not that great at taking photos of people either, but I'm better than that than I am with photographing anything else. Despite that, I couldn't help but take a few photos...

The trees blocked out a lot of light... and it was already a cloudy day. I found myself shooting at ISO1250 and getting a bunch of oddly exposed photos due to uneven shading from the trees... some of them turned out kinda nice. I find the M8's high ISO noise and images to be rather pleasing.

A view from the bridge... it's hard taking a photo while being thrown around

There was a part of the park that lead you onto a small cantilevered path that hung from a cliff-side. The path was narrow with medium-high (3/4 my height... I'm 5'10") railings with a net running from the railing to the planks... kinda scary, but kinda exhilarating. Here's a photo of the walkway... and some out of focus treetops.

And a bunch of randoms :)

I like seeing Hillary smile... and knowing I can make her smile. She has a very nice smile :)

Me and my best friend :)

The tour guides and greeters had the coolest uniforms...

:) I also shot a roll with the Olympus Stylus Epic/Mju-ii I bought... looking forward to those photos too!

One last time... Sorry, and thank you :)

Lloyd

Patrick, that's a really nice set, so I'm gonna have to take issue with your self deprecation regarding your abilities with landscape/nature. I see real promise here.

As for your mea culpa, I'll just say that we all could some self assessment, or introspection now and again. None of us here are perfect.

I think you're on a positive path with those choices. Just be gentle with yourself... obsessing over the changes you desire isn't a good thing either. I think it's a bit like an analogy I once heard about relationships. It goes, something like: "Don't overanalyze your relationship. It's like pulling up a young plant every few minutes to see if its roots are growing."

I have a feeling you'll be fine, Patrick. You're already well on your way.

Last edited:

Hosermage

Patrick, don't beat yourself up too much about it, at least both you and the other guy are out and shooting. Me, just sit around the house all day and looking for inspirations at home... It's one of those days. Here are some shots to help put you guys to sleep:

Yam leaves.. they are very yummy and nutritious, but they grow so fast that we're starting to get sick of eating them all the time.

Looked out the window in the morning and the sun light reflecting off the dews were almost blinding...

I also made a decision today to sell the Olympus OMD. After about a month of shooting both OMD and M9 when we go out, I find that I simply love the M9 files more. Each image from M9 require very little touch up, and I find myself taking a lot of time to try to make the OMD files to match the M9. Since I really don't have the budget to collect lenses for both system, I decided to concentrate on the M9, so now my smallish camera bags will have rooms for a few more lenses :) It's a relief, actually, since I can stop longing for some of the nice m4/3 lenses that are coming out. Lloyd, I've narrowed my next acquisition target down to either the 28mm Elmarit ASPH or the 25mm ZM Biogon. Any wider, I'd probably consider the WATE, but I don't think I'm there yet.

m_driscoll

Hi Matt,

All of these 18mm shots doesn't have that ultra-wide feel or distortion. I'm just wondering if they're cropped or "fixed" in PP? The one with the pink umbrella looks especially cool to me.
David: I went back and looked. That's the full DNG as shot. No crop or straightening, even. It was set as a Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 Aspherical Lens.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Status
Not open for further replies.