The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_driscoll

I economized. It's really only two photos. :D Although, that fork looks like it didn't move at all when this guy walked by! I liked the cowboy boots. ;)

M9; Zeiss 18mm f/4; 1/4000s @ f/4; ISO 80

M9; Zeiss 18mm f/4; 1/4000s @ f/4; ISO 80

M9: Zeiss 18mm f/4; 1/4000s @ f/4; ISO 80

M9: Zeiss 18mm f/4; 1/4000s @ f/4; ISO 80

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Lloyd

]

Lloyd, I've narrowed my next acquisition target down to either the 28mm Elmarit ASPH or the 25mm ZM Biogon. Any wider, I'd probably consider the WATE, but I don't think I'm there yet.
First off, nice images, David. You might be staying around home, but you've got some very nice subject matter there.

As for the lens choices, both are great. That 28 Elmarit has, in my opinion, a quality very distinct from the 28 Cron. And stopped down it may be in contention for the sharpest Leica lens ever. I also like how compact it is. The 25 Biogon is probably my favorite Zeiss lens for the Leica. It has some rare qualities, which interestingly may be even more pronounced on the M8 than on the M9. And even though it's technically only 3mm wider than the 28, I think it feels even wider. Myself, that's the one I'd choose, but you know I really like wide, and 20-24 is my favorite focal length range for wide shooting. Your mileage may vary. BTW, the WATE is a terrific lens. However, it's a beast, and that finder made to go with it is truly a monster. Results-wise, it's a winner, however.

Good luck with your choices. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing how you put it into practice.

PatrickCheung

Thanks for the kind words Lloyd :) I'll keep that in mind. Small steps, small steps!

David, I think a few of my favourite photos are taken on lazy days where I stayed at home. It makes sense, the things that mean the most to you are going to be in your home, thus... your most meaningful photos might come from little snapshots of your home :) People also tend to let loose and be themselves around the house!

I've also personally tried the 25 Biogon and it's amazing. Much sharper than my 28 Biogon and with a bit more... 3D quality to it. The and when things hit the sub 35mm range... every mm counts as degrees of field of view begins to jump by larger increments per mm! I think what Lloyd said about he M8 pronouncing it's qualities is true. I find that the M8 can sometimes give a... false sense of sharpness... with it's higher grain files. I personally found the M8 files to act a little more like film files and less like digital files like the M9's.

Matt, I wonder if what she's using is the Titanium Spork! My friend and I found a titanium spork online for $8... it was the prettiest spork I've ever seen. And in all honesty, I didn't even notice that it was two shots, it's not only the fork/spork that doesn't move... even her hair doesn't seem to be moving!

PatrickCheung

Dennys! Those are two amazing photos... especially the second one :) Keep 'em coming

Hung out in Hillary's former art studio today :p Luckily, we dropped in on one of the architecture course days :p Their project was similar to our second studio project... so we gave them a hand. "We're just like those annoying TA's (teaching assistants)" Hillary said. A few of Hillary's friends and former art buddies dropped in today too. It was nice being in a studio again, and knowing that we learned something useful, grew a little more knowledgeable, throughout the past year.

The studio was great, very calm, energetic, positive. I wish I could've studied in a studio like that during my highschool years :p I didn't take photos inside, just 'cause I've never met these kids before and don't think they'd appreciate some random guy snapping pics of them and their work. The guy that ran the place, Pete, was rather young... in his mid-late 20's? Maybe Hillary can fill that bit in. He was really friendly, very knowledgeable.. and put out really good paintings. He also drives a very nice BMW 1 series M, which I didn't know they made...

A fun day in the studio :)

Also, picked up my test roll from the Olympus Mju-ii. It seems like it has a little trouble focusing... but when the shots are in focus, they're absolutely beautiful. Almost the best $25 I've ever spent... next to the Olympus XA that is!

Lloyd

Good stuff, Patrick. That guy does have a nice ride. As for the the nature shots, see my comment above... "real promise". (More like promise realized. That tree trunk in particular, shot is outstanding.)

mdwsta4

been slacking on editing photos. Here are some from the other week during my typical photowalk route

'Soda Jerk'

Greetings

Advice

Easter Island?

Admiring the view

The last one I was pretty bummed about. Captured another version without his legs cut off, but focus was way off. Ah well, can't get them all

Cheers,
Matt

mAlKhamis

Patrick, another lovely set from the forest ! excellent and promising work as Lloyd said :) cheers buddy !

Matt, nice couple of shots ! the last one was my fav !

denny, excellent shots !

mdwsta4, beautiful set !

Here is the happy ending of my San Francisco pride parade ! one of my best experiences !!

The Tongue ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

The Look ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Side Gaze View by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

The drumming mood ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Clown's Hair ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

PatrickCheung

Lloyd, thanks! I wish I could get a ride like that. "That's what he bought? I thought he would've gotten something more expensive!" Hillary's dad said over dinner, "We KNOW how much he makes!" Hopefully I get a little better at landscape photography, hopefully I'll be able to shoot things like Steve Barnett (from the forum) does some day...

Matt, did you pay the man for his advice? :p Great catch, and great set! Was a fun set to view!

Moh, great work as always! Full of emotion and excitement :p Do you ask people for their photo, or do they just pose for you? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.