The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paratom

My first grandchild, Leo, was born this Tuesday. Here are a couple of images I like, taken with the M9:

Daughter Zoe holds Baby Leo (M9 + Noctilux f/1) @ f/1

My wife with Baby Leo (M9 + 50 Summilux ASPH) @ f/1.4

Best,
Bob
Congratulations and great emotional images.

PatrickCheung

:) Many great shots in the past few days!

First off, congratulations, Rob! Enjoy the years to come with Leo :)
And of course, Happy belated, David! Enjoy the 28! If I ever see the need to replace the Zeiss, I'd be happy to see what your opinions are on the 25 and 28!

These aren't much, but they're from a pretty interesting day. We had another Dim Sum brunch planned with Hillary's grandma and great grandma, a celebration for both Hillary's and her mother's birthday. Hillary's great grandma recognized me from the get-go! She smiled at me, then pointed at me, and gave me a thumbs up, and said "you're here!" Hillary's grandma and grandpa and I got into a rather nostalgic conversation about Hong Kong and Macau. Her grandparents and great grandma seem really really healthy :) Great grandma also recently got laser eye surgery so she had to wear sunglassses the entire time... Gangster Grandma!

A shot of Hillary's Sister

Grandpa, Grandma, Mother, and Gangsta Great Grandma :)

Hillary and I then went off to hang out with Hillary's ex-boyfriend 8D A stranger situation than it sounds, because I kinda... err... snatched Hillary from him. I had a thing for her when she was still dating Jonas, some stuff happened, people split, and people got together. Fun :) About 5 months after Hillary and I got together, Jonas called me up while we were both in Hong Kong. I thought I was going to get stabbed that night, but instead, we grabbed a few beers and hung out by the docks, exchanged apologies, and caught up. Funny thing is that he seems like me... but more of a romantic. Anyway, we explored downtown yesterday... walking across most of the Vancouver Sea Wall... a trek that took us around 3 hours :p I didn't get too many photos, Hillary did more photo taking. But here's what I got!

I took a photo of this family 'cause their baby kept making funny faces :p

And this man was kinda drunk. He saw the photographer pointing the camera in his direction and stumbled over to him, asking him if he took a photo of him. The photographer kept explaining that he was taking a photo of the buildings, but the drunk man wouldn't listen :p

I also met another stranger...

:p His name is Steve!

We were holding a large root beer we couldn't finish when Steve asked us for some change. I literally had nothing in my wallet except bank cards and ID, so I asked him if he'd like a drink instead. He said he was really thirsty, so I gave it to him.

I asked him for a photo, 'cause I wanted a photo of all the people I met here in Vancouver :p

"Alright, it normally costs two dollars, but since you gave me the drink..." he said, then posed.

He asked me where I'm from, and what I was doing here, so I told himI was from Toronto, here to visit my girlfriend. He told me to "make a left up there, and keep walking," because "that's where all the cool things are, that's where Gastown is."

He bid us farewell, and we made our way to Gastown.

After dinner, Hillary and I went to Jericho Beach to watch the final fireworks show for the Festival of Lights. The festival of lights was actually held at English Bay, all the way across the inlet from Jericho Beach, but English Bay is always super crowded. Jericho Beach has a clear view of the fire works barge! You kinda lack the music that goes along with it... but you could always tune into the radio station broadcasting it. Sadly... nobody on the beach had a radio. We didn't bother bringing cameras either... we figured couldn't get a good shot anyway. Though we did meet some people who DID get good shots of it.

We sat next to three dudes with two cameras each, mounted on tripods with big big big telephoto lenses mounted. One guy had a 300mm or 600mm Canon telephoto :p Instead of getting annoyed like I used to... I took Rob's advice and talked to them. I asked them if they were part of a photo club, but they told me they were just three friends who loved photography. I observed them timing exposures with external meters, controlling exposure with black cards, and setting up their lenses for the perfect view. At that point, I felt horribly silly for what I wrote a few posts back. I asked one of them for their contact info, I wanted to see their photos :p I checked this morning, and they were beautiful. If I get his permission to share with you guys, I would!

ashwinrao1

Oh so controversial, but the lens still takes some nice shots...here with the XP-1 and Hawks M adapter to get even closer....harsh midday sun...

Plus a couple from the M9...

Lloyd

NIce, Rob. I'm impressed with how you handle that lens. Tough with framelines the size of the focus patch!

Haven't thrown anything up here in a lonnnng time! Work and life getting in the way of my fun! But a trip to the state fair today...

Respect My Authority!

Beer at 10AM...with hair like that, who am I to argue

Stylin'

Moo!

Show in Progress

My Daughter, Elise. Cows are bigger then whippets, MUCH bigger

Lloyd

Jason!! Great to see you around these here parts! ;)

Nice set. Love the cow, but that shot of your daughter is priceless.

PatrickCheung

:( Wish I could own that SLR Magic, Ashwin! Cool photos :)

Rob, I saw the cast photo on flickr! Did someone paint that on afterwards, or are casts nowadays just awesome? And how on earth did he break both his arms?!

I really like the way the last shot pops, Gary :p Pretty cool!

I asked the photographer from last night if I could share his firework photos with you guys, and he said sure :p The fireworks were beautiful... the first three photos of his blog were from the fireworks shows throughout the past week Mike Mander's Photo & Imaging Blog

I didn't do too much today... but I guess I'll post anyway!

Been playing around with the high ISO settings on the M8... as long as I get a nice exposure, the high ISO is perfectly usable. If it's underexposed... it begins to band

MichaelM6

Great stuff on this page! Patrick - I always enjoy your stuff. Ashwin - I'm gear jealous. Jason, beautiful picture of your daughter. And I'm not sure who the photographer is, but the first post on this page, with the noctilux - wow. Awesome stuff.

I have a few images to post. I had an engagement shoot this Saturday at a beautiful vineyard. The problem was that they were only free from 1-3, so the light was sooooo harsh. I did my best...have I mentioned that I love black and white conversions from the M8? Well, yeah - I do! I'm shooting their wedding next weekend at a different vineyard - should be a blast!

Chris & Vanessa by Michael Hulcher, on Flickr

Lloyd

Nice Patrick. Yes, High ISO on the M8 - expose well, and it seems to be ok. Also, I tended to get better results processing high ISO M8 shots in Capture One. I had a profile for that, but don't know if I still do after my hard drive crash last spring.

Michael: Beautiful set!! Excellent work in that harsh light. I shot a wedding last week... post ceremony formals at noon! I really struggled at times. BTW, enjoy the b/w from the M8. I love it as well, and I don't find that the M9 is quite as good. I guess Leica want us to buy the M9M. ;)

MichaelM6

Thanks Lloyd...it sure was tough! Noon is just about the worst. I did my best. Luckily, the ceremony next week is at 6:30. Looking forward to some nice images in good light!

Status
Not open for further replies.