The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude163

It looks like the 2 canadians on the opposite coasts are running rampant with their M8s :)

some shots from 2 days ago when I went to a nature preserve for the sandpipers feeding for their migration , it was foggy and raining but I figured the Leica is metal so it should be semi weather resistant? right? ( please!)

Elmarit 135 again and a little post processing to make the shots look like 70s style National Geographic/ the National Film Board of Canada

dude163

You should have been there Lloyd , it was surreal , 120,000 of these little dudes and after 5-8 minutes of feeding they all took off at once and flew in a circle back to the shore ,they were up for maybe 20 seconds, but the noise was trippy .These are actually in reverse order , trying to use a 135 lens set at f4 on those guys was tough , so those shots were more luck than skill

Here is what my daughters hair does in the fog and rain , my sister ( aged 44 so she spent a ton of cash in the 80s on her hair ) is SO jealous of the curls :)

off to bed, nite all!

PatrickCheung

Really great work from all :)

Chris, that's a great idea... combining both walks ;) covers all audiences!

Michael, the photos of Madelena are great :) Beautiful moments, beautiful girl.

David, I'm also really enjoying the noir photos... I spent about half an hour in a book store yesterday reading a big book on noir films... a well spent half hour! The other hours were spent reading comic books of course :)

Jim, really nice photo as well... it's so dreamy! :S Sorry for confusing people with the film photos...

Rob, so many birds... o_O I have a friend who's afraid of birds, that would've been a nightmare. And naturally (well... because of rain is kinda natural right?) curly hair is a gift :) Hillary's mom has naturally curly hair, but she spends a good half hour every morning making sure it's straight... a shame really :(

Ashwin, summer's not over yet :) We'll make the last few weeks count!

Just a little pondering today. Hillary and I got into a little discussion about artists now and artists back in the 60's - 80's. I was saying how it'd be cool to live back in he 60's - 80's, when a bunch of really cool artists took time to hang out with each other, get to know each other, and make friends with one another. Hillary said that it still happens now, but in a different way... everyone just spends time online, and artists aren't as recognized now, so if they DID hang out, it wouldn't really matter to the masses.

I argued that because everything is so digital, what happens is that a relationship is lost. Though, I came here and... well I sort of proved myself wrong. It's true what she says... we kind of just hang out online now, but the relationship definitely isn't lost. At the same time, I kind of still stand by what I've said... just because the works of greats of our era are so disconnected, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

THEN that got me thinking that it's really nice to see everyone's work here. It's nice to see what everyone else sees in their daily life. I feel lucky to be able to experience Michael and Madelena shopping, Rob and his kids wandering about, etc. It's something that is important to keep alive, especially when most of what I see in magazines and websites nowadays are impersonal studio portraits. It's nice to see the work, or at least mentality and ideas, of a few of my favourite artists surviving through little online communities like this.

Lloyd

You should have been there Lloyd , it was surreal , 120,000 of these little dudes and after 5-8 minutes of feeding they all took off at once and flew in a circle back to the shore ,they were up for maybe 20 seconds, but the noise was trippy .These are actually in reverse order , trying to use a 135 lens set at f4 on those guys was tough , so those shots were more luck than skill

Here is what my daughters hair does in the fog and rain , my sister ( aged 44 so she spent a ton of cash in the 80s on her hair ) is SO jealous of the curls :)

off to bed, nite all!
I would love to see it, Rob.

I have some of the same issues as your daughter, and have a son who definitely does. Most women in the family are jealous. BTW, I can't believe how fast your girls are growing up.

Patrick: I think that Hillary and you are right, and maybe it's even better today than before. We tend to compress history when we look back at it, and think that events and people were more connected than they were in reality. The artists of former times may have gathered on occasion, but I suspect it wasn't nearly so often as we assume.

In contrast, and using myself and this forum as an example, we are much more connected. We couldn't get together physically on nearly a daily basis, but here, albeit remotely, we do. As a result, I for one enjoy seeing the art and lives of the people here, and I've developed some very close friendships... some with people I have yet to meet in person. I'm inspired almost daily by the art here, and challenged to improve my own. Amazing times we live in.

Last edited:

dude163

Patrick, Lloyd , to echo what you have both said, I emigrated from the UK in 1980 to San Diego, then off to Canada in late 85 . I literally heard NOTHING about what happened to my old friends in the UK until the advent of facebook and the internet ( mostly facebook just within the last 3 years)

I agree that getting together in person with a creative individual is fantastic , and I do that once in a while with some photographers/musicians I know and we have a great time chatting , being *artsy* etc but we shouldnt underestimate the power of the online community , seeing shots from all over the world and snippets of everyones lives can be just as inspiring , and great incentive to find your own path/inspiration

Ok off to work, blech

DavidE

Thanks Lloyd and Patrick. So many beautiful images here. Love the portrait of your daughter, Rob. And that's a terrific shot, Jim -- even if it was captured on film. :)

Here are three more from New Orleans using the 50mm Summilux.

jonoslack

Phew! I'm back. And really impressed by the stuff around here :clap::clap:

2 M9's - one with a wide angle, one with a 50 or 75 . . . .shooting bliss

This was with the WATE at 18mm (I think).

Harvest Time

DavidE

Thanks Lloyd and Michael. Much appreciated.

Really nice shots, Michael. I especially like the first one.

Wonderful portraits, Bruno. Three very different aspects of the same person.

That’s a fine shot, Jono. Have to dust off my WATE and give it some exercise. :)

Two more from my June trip to New York. Both were shot with a 24mm Summilux.

Status
Not open for further replies.