The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesK

Matt, thank you! Really enjoying the M-M.
Great series of shots! Your PP'ing with M-M are excellent in every respect. Full of rich warm tones :)

Stephen, excellent images, even though no portraits:) The second shot is great!

David, nice shots, particularly the last shot:)

Shots this afternoon at the beach with the M-M 24 Lux @320 ISO:)

Last edited:

chrism

The rest of our new back deck got it's glass today. Now this may be a meaningless comparison, but I have medium format film photos and M Monochrom photos to compare:

Before, film:

After, M Monochrom:

and

Before, film:

After, M Monochrom:

Plainly, the film photos are better and more interesting. But that isn't anything to do with film vs digital; it's a matter of focal length (80mm on a 6x6 camera and 35mm on a 35x24 camera), aperture (f3.5 on 6x6 and f5.6 on 35x24) depth of field and format. Beyond those factors, anything else that differs might be due to FlexColor scanning software and Lightroom. I'll get it right one day.

Chris

chrism

If anyone is interested, I went out with a 90mm, 75mm and a 50mm lens and took the comparison pictures.

90mm:

75mm:

50mm:

It seems to me that a 50mm lens at f1.4 on 35x24 format gives a similar quality (if not the exact field of view) of photo compared to an 80mm lens at f3.5 on 6x6 format.

Chris

Lloyd

If anyone is interested, I went out with a 90mm, 75mm and a 50mm lens and took the comparison pictures.

It seems to me that a 50mm lens at f1.4 on 35x24 format gives a similar quality (if not the exact field of view) of photo compared to an 80mm lens at f3.5 on 6x6 format.

Chris
Interesting experiment (this and the one above). I doh't know if it's meaningless, but it's not a one-to-one comparison for sure. I do agree that the shot with 50mm compares very favorably to the shot with the 80mm. Nicely done.

CharlesK

Chris, very interesting comparison:) I feel it would be difficult to really compare, both mediums as they are so different. I will say though, I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the raw DNG files with the M-M:)

Another shot from last night with the M-M 24 Lux, @ 320 ISO LR4 only.

Hosermage

Really nice, David. Love that first one. Nicely seen and captured. That Elmarit is a special lens. Very much underrated, I think.
Thanks, Lloyd! As I put the ZM25 up for sale, I guess the race between it and the Elmarit is over... but nobody won because now I lust for the 28'Cron :D I'm keeping the Elmarit for now so I can get use to the 28mm FOV, but it is a lovely little lens.

During the trip to Sequoia, I packed the 28, 35, and 50 lenses and developed a few rules for myself on choosing lenses:
  1. 50'Lux for portraits, nothing can beat it (that I own), and pack the 28 just in case
  2. 35'Cron if I don't plan to change lens, it's very versatile
They're not any special revelations, I know, but it has taken me a while to get the feel of each focal lengths and I probably would not have understood it fully without having to learn it the hardway and let myself come to the same conclusion on my own. Since that's the only 3 lenses I own, it makes it very easy for me to decide which lens to put on at the beginning of the day.

Anyway, too much talking, more photos:

I have way too many shots of my son goofing off and making funny faces, so I always feel special when I catch him in a more solemn look.

unclearconcept

on a walk through the hills in tahoe. lots of fun to be had!

M9 35mm

the lens a day thing has really been a good way to go. i just need to GO more often :)

CharlesK

Lloyd, thank you:) Still finding the best way to PP the M-M files.
David, very nice portrait of your son:)
Alex, love the first shot.
Just4fun, fun capture:)

Couple more shots from this afternoon with M-M 24 Lux, near Natural Bridge:) I know there is a separate thread for M-M, so I am unsure which to post in:)

chrism

I'm thinking one thread is best. We are getting 45mm of rain today from the outer rain bands of Leslie. The rain makes pretty patterns as it cascades in sheets down the glass of the conservatory:

and a crop:

Chris

sjg284

My wife wanted a few more shots for her fitness portfolio...
Rangefinders are versatile enough for me :)

m8 & 50lux v2

Status
Not open for further replies.