The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickCheung

Hey guys :)

Taking a break from a rather... unproductive day today. Hillary and I (more her than I) have been really stressed out lately and it's taken quite a toll on our general level of happiness. Our latest worry is whether or not we'll find a job for our co-op term within the next two months. We originally wanted to work in London, but the process of getting a work visa there is a little too complicated to be done within the time we have. We're hoping to land a job in an Architecture firm somewhere in north america so we've been contacting everyone we know/worked for for the past week or so. The issue is that with all the school work we have, we have no time left to complete our portfolios... a huge requirement in an application to almost any Architecture firm world-wide.

Schoolwork aside... here are a few photos from our (extremely unorganized) school trip to New York City :)

We stayed in New York from Oct. 12-15. We were housed at the YMCA Hostel by Central Park. The place was rather dirty... reminded me a lot of Hong Kong housing, cockroaches running around, shared washrooms that always smelled kinda funny (or like pee). Good thing we didn't stay in the hostel for long :)

I found NYC to be a bit too big, busy, and rushed to be fully enjoyable. I never got to stop and fully take in my surroundings. I was always pushed around by people trying to get to places... it was a pain. The city felt claustrophobic: the skyscrapers blocked out the sun, you're always surrounded by strangers, the streets are filled with cars. Though, when you're with all your friends... you don't really care too much.

A Street Market in SoHo

I saw this girl sketching a statue in the MET. She was really pretty... and I thought it was kinda cool how she just stopped to sketch out something she liked, so I asked her if I could photograph her.

Cloud City... a really cool installation at the MET. It was on the roof garden of the MET, about 5-6 storeys above ground. You were allowed inside, but only with a certain number of people at a certain time. The structure's floor shook a bit with every step you took :p

Fishing by the Staten Island Ferry :)

These were taken ontop of Highline, a public park that used to be an old subway bridge :p Very cool!

And... Morning Hillary :)

mAlKhamis

David, Ashwin, and Gary, thank you guys for the kind words, so glad that you liked them :)

Mohammad: Thanks! :D I forgot how wonderfully weird Northern California is! All very cool, but, I esp. like this one. Your pp's perfect. Creates a slightly unreal edginess. :salute:

Cheers, Matt
Thanks Matt !! as for the PP it's more like feeling when play with the camera raw, adjustment layers and Nik sliders, until i reach what satisfy my eyes, although and honesty i'm not satisfied most of the time, specially when i browse 1x.com :/ check those guys and you will understand my frustration !! they are true masters.
I love what you getting from M-M stunning work, specially the second one from the last set, cheers my friend !

DavidE, thank you buddy glad you do, and i truly love the first from your last set, i'm so close to get the 18mm !!! cheers! buddy

Patrick, great stuff from NY, well done !

More from the Faire and more will come !

Nostalgia by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Monk by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Craftiest by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Pure balance ! by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Hosermage

Great set, Patrick. The first shot of the street market was my favorite, had me linger for a while just to take in the entire scene.

PatrickCheung

Thanks guys :)

David, yeah that street market photo had a lot to take in... that's the case with most of NY. Very very busy!

Moh, great set from the faire :) I've never been to one... but it seems like it'd be a really nice place to be XD

Rayyan, that's a beautiful image with beautiful grain :)

Brian S

Hacked Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, on the Leica M9. $40 Ebay lens with no rear element, replaced with a 100mm plano-convex lens, held in with a rear retaining ring from a Jupiter-3. Rear shim and main shim set, RF coupled across the entire focus range. This one took a while.

m_driscoll

It didn't rain for most of the day.

M-M; 90mm f/2.5; 1/1500s; -1/3 EV; ISO 320

M-M; 90mm f/2.5; 1/1500s; -1/3 EV; ISO 320

M-M; 50mm f/2.5; 1/2000s; -1/3 EV; ISO 320

M-M; 50mm f/2.5; 1/500s; -1/3 EV; ISO 320

Cheers, Matt

Taylor Sherman

Yeah! I managed to get out and take some photos too, it started raining the minute I got home! And we had good clouds, even. Kinda rare for Seattle.

I especially like the first two, Matt.

ashwinrao1

Hacked Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, on the Leica M9. $40 Ebay lens with no rear element, replaced with a 100mm plano-convex lens, held in with a rear retaining ring from a Jupiter-3. Rear shim and main shim set, RF coupled across the entire focus range. This one took a while.
Brian, stunning work mechanically. You are a magician. The rendering here is amazing, somewhat sonnar-like OOF...so cool!

Lloyd

Edward, Matt, Brian, Ashwin, Cenek. Nice work all. (And a few more on the preceding pages too... this thread really moves... and the work is uniformly terrific!)

Brian, I agree with Ashwin. You are a magician. And the resulting images are magical too.

Status
Not open for further replies.