The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Jono, I shall hang on to it, unless one of my sons develops a liking for it:D
It seems to be heading that way!:shocked:

Best regards.
It's the trouble with sons . . especially if they're good at it . . . one of mine seems to have nabbed my M9p; it's nice to see the results though.

ashwinrao1

Fantastic work, everyone.

1. Rayyan, ME and XE-1? A wealth of camera riches for you, my friend. Enjoy these cameras, and of course, your M8

2. Jono, great commentary. I too am curious about how effective the M will be for BW, but I suspect it will be a very solid option. The MM gives us a different type of flexibility in images, in the tonal rendition and greyscale depth (am I making these words up), than any other camera, including it's closely related M9. What is obviously lost is the ability to manipulate color channels. I suspect that with the higher ISO capacity and CMOS rendition, there should be quite a bit of flexibility in the files coming from the M....that being said, all of our digital M's (M8, M9, MM) are very capable BW cameras

3. Cenek, once again you channel HCB...As well as Anesel...Great work!!!

4. Carl, I see that you came ready to play. Nice Ultron work. A lens that I have never tried...

5. Robert, the steaming coffee shot is AMAZING. Great stuff with the summaron!

wosim

Leica M9, Tri-Elmar 16mm

Leica M9, Tri-Elmar 16mm

Leica M9, Tri-Elmar 16mm

Leica M9, Voigtländer Super-wide Heliar 4.5 15mm​

ajayc

come here often, but don't post as much as i would like to.. one from last night. m9 / 24 lux. colors / brightness might be off (uncalibrated laptop).

jonoslack

still only walking a couple miles each day.. this is from this morning's walk through Henry Cowell... this time with the M9 rather than the D800
Jim - I'm glad to hear that you ARE walking a couple of miles a day - love the second shot

Maybe one more. M9 and 50 Lux ASPH. Taken on the A303 near Mere.
Wuffstuf
I know the A303 so well . . . but usually in the context of traffic jams!

That's a lovely photograph - really fine.

Wolfgang
Fantastic black and white architecture, with one of my favorite lenses (WATE)

Ashwin
Great family cuddles - still with the Monochrom?

Ajayc
That's a fantastic sunset . . . as for the colour - I think it's open to interpretation isn't it! "Correct" is a complicated word when you've done such excellent post-processing . . . Looks fine to me anyway

David
love the spectacle-nose - excellent - and best wishes right back atcha!

jonoslack

2. Jono, great commentary. I too am curious about how effective the M will be for BW, but I suspect it will be a very solid option. The MM gives us a different type of flexibility in images, in the tonal rendition and greyscale depth (am I making these words up), than any other camera, including it's closely related M9. What is obviously lost is the ability to manipulate color channels. I suspect that with the higher ISO capacity and CMOS rendition, there should be quite a bit of flexibility in the files coming from the M....that being said, all of our digital M's (M8, M9, MM) are very capable BW cameras
Hi Ashwin
I enjoyed your Steve Huff piece - and wonder how you have the time to do all this stuff and work!
As you say about BW cameras - personally - I'm really missing the MM - and it was a real education to spend a lot of time concentrating only on black and white . . . . but I do like colour as well, and found it confusing swapping between one and the other. Manipulating colour channels is great - but to be honest I found that using Silver efex pro I could get good filter effects from the MM anyway.
As you say - let's hope the M does well with conversions - If it does I can see my kit cupboard emptying rapidly (together with my bank balance).

all the best

wosim

Wolfgang
Fantastic black and white architecture, with one of my favorite lenses (WATE)
Many thanks! Here are some black&white landscape pics:

Leica M9 / Voigtländer Ultron 1.9 28mm

Leica M9 / Tri-Elmar 4.0 50mm

Leica M9 / Voigtländer Ultron 1.9 28mm

ashwinrao1

Fantastic, Frits, Wosim, and Carl!

Jono, great thoughts. The MM will likey be a "long term" camera for me. Sor far, the only cameras that have met that description have been the original Canon 5D, the M8, and the M9 (and probably the 645D, as I really dig that camera). The MM is such a unique beast. I feel that I am re-discovering how I see and shoot BW.

Today, I shot extensively in BW with both new and "old" glass (i.e. C-Sonnar 50 lens), and found again that the modern glass behaves very differently in BW on the MM sensor than classic lenses. I am not sure how I missed this before when shooting, but there's something about how the MM's sensor renders, that to my eyes, does quite well with vintage glass. I have thus dusted off many of my older, less used lenses, for use with the Monochrom. I continue to love how modern glass renders sharpness and color on the M9.

Here are a few images to share from this evening's Thanksgiving Festivities:

C-Sonnar 50:

35 summarit

One with the 35 Summilux LFE (taken by my friend Joe, but it is my finger)

ced

Some real nice work you guys that post so regularly!
Ceh would love to know what USM params you use for your mountain B&W images they looks so crisp without looking over sharpened nice work.

ceh

Some real nice work you guys that post so regularly!
Ceh would love to know what USM params you use for your mountain B&W images they looks so crisp without looking over sharpened nice work.
My 90/2.8 Elmarit is very sharp.
For printing Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta A2:
PS CS 5.1 USM 85,0.4,0
For web:
PS CS 5.1 USM 30-35,0.3,0

Status
Not open for further replies.