The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&A

Thank you all for the Likes !

Inter-generational conflict?

Leica M9 / Voigtländer Nokton 1.4 40mm
Very much like this shot! It appears to me the crop enhances the perceived tension between the two. (ie: tight crop, heightened tension)

Dave (D&A)

wosim

Very much like this shot! It appears to me the crop enhances the perceived tension between the two. (ie: tight crop, heightened tension)

Dave (D&A)
Thanks, Dave,

you are absolutely right - exact this was my intention. You can feel the tension in the original pic too, but the tight framing concentrates on the distance between the two and makes the tension even more palpable.

Best regards

D&A

Thanks, Dave,

you are absolutely right - exact this was my intention. You can feel the tension in the original pic too, but the tight framing concentrates on the distance between the two and makes the tension even more palpable.

Best regards
Nicely put! I also feel the glass between the two is a very important element....sort of a territorial line placed between them. I covered up the glass in the image with my hand, and it truly takes away something from the image.

Dave (D&A)

seakayaker

BTW, this shot doesn't work at all in color, because the tiny reflections go off into all sorts of single-pixel colors. Does anyone know what's up with that? I've only seen it in photos from this lens, which is the C Biogon 35/2.8.
I read somewhere along the way that the M9 should be set as a 35/2.5 Summarit when using the C Biogon. You may want to give that a try . . . . .

. . . . . also Ashwin used this Lens for awhile and may be able to shed some light its use.

edwardkaraa

BTW, this shot doesn't work at all in color, because the tiny reflections go off into all sorts of single-pixel colors. Does anyone know what's up with that? I've only seen it in photos from this lens, which is the C Biogon 35/2.8.
It means that this this lens is too sharp for your sensor, Maggie. Try turning down the sharpening a bit. What converter are you using? Alternatively, you can try stopping down more to reduce the lens sharpness.

edwardkaraa

I'm using an iMac with Aperture.
I don't have experience with aperture, but what you're describing sounds like demosaicing artifacts or moire. Sometimes different converters may behave differently so if you have another converter, you may want to try that. As mentioned earlier, reducing sharpening, or stopping down the lens to f/11-16 so that diffraction softens the image slightly, may help as well.

Maggie O

I don't have experience with aperture, but what you're describing sounds like demosaicing artifacts or moire. Sometimes different converters may behave differently so if you have another converter, you may want to try that. As mentioned earlier, reducing sharpening, or stopping down the lens to f/11-16 so that diffraction softens the image slightly, may help as well.
OK, but I could have sworn that I had it stopped down to at least f/11. I may just have to sell it off and get a Summicron or go back to my Voigtlanders..

edwardkaraa

I'm very curious now. Maggie can you please post a 100% crop of the problem area? I'm pretty sure it can't be the lens, unless it's some kind of CA.

edwardkaraa

Same here. the single pixel RGB artifacts in the original convinced me. That and a little internet searching, that shows the C Biogon 35/2.8 has problems with the M9 sensor.
It's definitely not the lens fault, except for out resolving the sensor, but there are many lenses out there that can do that even better. It's actually not a bad thing.

What I see is a converter fault. From what I've heard, C1 seems to be the best, followed by ACR regarding demosaicing. Not sure about aperture though.

Shashin

Then why don't other cameras show this if it is a demosaicing artifact? Actually, I have never seen an artifact like this cause by my RAW converter. The water is creating high-contrast, high-frequency details. I think it is moire, just with a point source target rather then a linear one and so we are not seeing the usual interference patterns.

edwardkaraa

Shashin, basically we are saying the same thing in different words. I didn't call it moire because of the absence of the interference patterns as you say. Sometime ago in this thread, someone showed the same shot processed in C1 and ACR. Very fine text on a sign produced moire-like color artifacts with ACR, but it was almost perfectly black and artifact free with C1.

ced

Maggie I think the image has a capture error notice the strange smears running slightly diagonally from bottom left to top right and this error has probably not recorded all the information. Would love to have a bash with the raw file if you don't mind.

I retract my thoughts I put forward above, the file had strange diagonal lines in the image and that the data could have been corrupted.
After looking at the original I see the diagonal lines are in the concrete itself and my thoughts are that the lens is so sharp that there isn't enough resolution on the sensor.
Different converters all give different results but don't eliminate the artefacts.
I post a crop of the file put through LR3 and Defringe: All helps a lot and then in PS via Lab removing the rest.
I tended to somewhat over in Sharpening/Saturation
My thinking now is that the lens (superb) is beyond the capabilities of the M9's resolution.

Stephen a lovely colorful set from your part of the world, well done!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.