The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

re: Fun with the New Leica M

Hi there
Well, here are two shot with the 35 'lux FLE at f2.8 (don't believe the exif) and at 3200 ISO

As you can see, this is catastrophically horrid lighting - I'd really not have managed colour at 1250 with the M9.

Now for something completely different:
This is shot with the 28 'cron (again, don't believe the exif!), using the Leica Oufro - it's almost full frame (just very slightly cropped to remove a blemish).

So - you can do macro with M lenses too!

N.B. - these were shot with pre-production firmware.

all the best

jonoslack

Hi There Victor
Dear Jono

Thx for starting. Maybe this should be the place for new postings for the Leica M (240) (do we have to keep putting that in? Leica really wasted lots of energy and ink when the dropped the M10 designation
It's a pleasure as always (starting it that is :chug:

And no - let's not call it the 240 - look at the thread title - let's just call it the M

Sort of like "the camera previously known as the M10? ":LOL:

Anyway, I guess the new M owners are out shooting as I see no new postings

But they will come
and be good...

I think,

I hope! :D
I'm certain - :angel: :salute: :)

jonoslack

Hi Jono, are you still having the testing camera? if yes can you just update the firmware with the latest release?

Thanks for sharing :thumbs:

Cheers.
Hi There - unfortunately you can't update the firmware on the prototypes - there was a hardware calibration needed. Actually, I don't think this camera is hardware compatible with the final firmware.

Leica have very kindly let me hang on to an early prototype until my camera arrives (hopefully in the next week or so). The new cameras are obviously greatly improved - but even this early one does pretty good!

all the best

emr

I wonder if Leica is starting to name their models like Apple? Like "early 2013 M", "late 2015 M"... ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Hi There - unfortunately you can't update the firmware on the prototypes - there was a hardware calibration needed. Actually, I don't think this camera is hardware compatible with the final firmware.

Leica have very kindly let me hang on to an early prototype until my camera arrives (hopefully in the next week or so). The new cameras are obviously greatly improved - but even this early one does pretty good!

all the best
Just got a call from Leica Shop Wien that my M is here! Well I had told them I would like one in summer, because I think then the HW will be really proven and final by then and also FW will have matured even further. So I am on the list for July 2013!

We are getting there ..... just did not want to go through similar troubles as I did with my early M8 in 2007 (although I know with the M all is different now - but just to be sure)!

Last edited:

jonoslack

Just got a call from Leica Shop Wien that my M is here! Well I had told them I would like one in summer, because I think then the HW will be really proven and final by then and also FW will have matured even further. So I am on the list for July 2013!

We are getting there ..... just did not want to go through similar troubles as I did with my early M8 in 2007 (although I know with the M all is different now - but just to be sure)!
Hi Peter
So, will you have it now or will you wait?

Godfrey

I wonder if Leica is starting to name their models like Apple? Like "early 2013 M", "late 2015 M"... ;)
I think that was actually the point: the M from now on will be called just the M, with variants named specially (M Monochrom, M-E), and differentiated in model by a type number (M type 240, M type 241, etc).

It's a brand and model name strategy that automakers (and Apple, amongst others) have been using successfully for many years. For example, people talk about their "Toyota Corolla," not about their "Toyota Corolla Mark XXXVII." When more specific model and series information is required, year, chassis type, etc can all be used to determine that.

G

Godfrey

Heya Jono,

I wondered when you would start this thread!

Nice pix as always. It will be good to see more from the M, now that it's actually getting into people's hands and we can get past the pre-release review anxiety ... :)

I'm not on any buy list yet. I suspect I won't be until end-of-2013 into 2014, as I usually follow the trailing edge of the wave. I'm still very happy with what I get from the M9.

G

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Hi Peter
So, will you have it now or will you wait?
Wait till July! Maybe a little wait is worth it and protects me to be hurt by early series failures - not saying there will be some, but history has proven unfortunately.

Peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member

@ Jono,

do you actually use LR4 for your M or Aperture? I would be keen to continue with Aperture, now as I switched from LR some 6 months ago because of different reasons. And being there (with Aperture) I really love it and like it much more than LR.

Thanks

Peter

jonoslack

@ Jono,

do you actually use LR4 for your M or Aperture? I would be keen to continue with Aperture, now as I switched from LR some 6 months ago because of different reasons. And being there (with Aperture) I really love it and like it much more than LR.

Thanks

Peter
HI Peter
I use Aperture - of course I've also used LR4 for testing, but I just like Aperture better.
All of the photographs in the write up were processed in Aperture - I've certainly had no problem with the colours.

all the best

wstam

The new M is out. So took out my M9 yesterday to check if it's still working ;)

Just after a heavy rain. The scene was very dull. So lifted the color a fair bit in PP:

M9|50Lux

In fact I have problem in deciding if I should post the colour one above or B/W one below. B/W seems to overcome the dull scene but the colour of the roof make it more interesting.

Thanks for looking.

ashwinrao1

Great shots. I will be paying close attention to the shots posted on this thread...maybe I'll get to play down the road ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.