The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrice

re: Fun with the New Leica M

I tried manually selecting the WATE but live view still wouldn't engage with the 12mm nor my 105mm.
With a coded lens the peaking works a treat though. I'll play more with the camera hopefully this weekend. I'll also check which firmware it has loaded.

EDIT:
Jono has informed me that any lens will work fine unless they're on cutaway LTM adapters (mine are) and that is being fixed. So there's that problem solved. :)

thrice

Thanks, Daniel. :)

It is a pity that the CV12 shows this much color shift. The CV15 will fare worse, I think.
Worth pointing out that while the colour shift appears more noticeable it's likely because the light falloff is much less (both cameras had no correction applied in-camera) and the shift is totally confined to the left and right edges on the M, easy to fix with a grad in LR or cornerfix or whatever.

jonoslack

HI There Daniel
Congratulations on the camera (I wish mine would arrive!)

One interesting thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere is that you cannot engage live view or movie mode with a non-coded lens mounted.
I hope that is not the case. This would rule out the M for me as I have only non coded ZM lenses.
This is definitely not the case with the prototype cameras I have had, and I'm certain it's not something they've added - the one exception being cutaway adapters (but they bring up a 'no lens attached' message and don't work at all - to be fixed later).

I've just taken a short video with an uncoded Contax/M adapter and no lens attached at all - worked perfectly.

I hope this helps - I guess it's worth trying again!

all the best

thrice

I'll try again later this week. Sadly it is not my camera but rather my employers :p
Thanks again for the info. That is exactly the issue I was encountering and it makes sense now.

V

Vivek

Looks like they need to put a "Shoot without lens" option in the menu to disable the light sensors on the camera mount. Even otherwise, it should pose no problems at all.

edwardkaraa

Thank you Jono and Daniel! I'm feeling better now after the initial shock :D

I just browsed Jono's Venice album. I have no reservations whatsoever about the M cmos colors anymore. Beautiful rendering and excellent PP.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Just handled the new M in the Leica Sore in Vienna!

Cannot make any comments about IQ as I did not have time to shoot, but from handling, haptics, weight, menu, rangefinder, frame lines, LCD, LV, etc it looks really exciting. All I did expect!

BTW the LCD has nice colors right from scratch - not something one can take as given today.

KUDOS Leica!

Now let just some more weeks pass by to see that there are really no HW and FW quirks and I will give it a go!!!

fotophil

Do I understand that a WATE lens would not work with Live View on the new M Body. Most of my Leica M mount lenses were manufactured well before the coding process so I wonder if these uncoded M mount lenses will work with Live View? Is this situation controlled by firmware?

jonoslack

Do I understand that a WATE lens would not work with Live View on the new M Body. Most of my Leica M mount lenses were manufactured well before the coding process so I wonder if these uncoded M mount lenses will work with Live View? Is this situation controlled by firmware?
Phil. All leica M mount lenses work fine on the new camera. No question

Lloyd

Very nice, Robert. But it would have to be fake, isn't everything frozen up there this time of year. ;)

dude163

Pretty much! :) you know its bad when it hits 0C and everyone is walking around with no gloves and hats/scarves commenting on how nice it is out! lol

thrice

Thanks - that's great news! Does the same situation apply to all LTM adapters?
A firmware fix for the cut away (older type) ltm adapters is forthcoming.
These are the adapters where a brass ring is clearly visible on the camera side of the adapter if I'm not mistaken.

All other LTM adapters work fine right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.