The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

algrove

re: Fun with the New Leica M

It's still early days for B&W conversion, but my impression is that the files behave very well in Silver Efex Pro and it's easier to dodge and burn without adding noise than with M9 files. I don't own an MM, but have had the chance to shoot with one on a few occasions. From those experiences I feel confident in saying that the MM still has an edge in monochrome, although the gap has closed significantly.
The Monochrom definitely has the B&W edge, but then it probably should. I just wonder if the APO 50/2 on the M will bring that gap closer. I will do some work on that once my MM gets back from Leica NJ for sensor cleaning and recalibration if needed.

StephenPatterson

SP-
I like the green wall shot with the contrasty black writing on the wall.

Did you actually expose for the wall? Auto WB? And what metering method did you use on that photo?
Lou, this is AutoWB and "Classic" center weighted average metering, but with a 90mm lens of course the camera behaves more like a spot meter. I'm not using the advanced metering modes yet, as they require the shutter to be open and use more battery life.

Like all my images this one has been processed in LR, including a gradient filter over the wall and additional contrast and clarity and lower black levels to make the writing "pop". The temp is a bit warm, but it was afternoon and the sun was streaming in on their game, basking everyone in a warm glow.

D&A

SP-
I like the green wall shot with the contrasty black writing on the wall.

Did you actually expose for the wall? Auto WB? And what metering method did you use on that photo?

Dave- Are you mainly talking about the boy in the shoe store?
Yes, the young boy with the shoes/snakers in front of him....but it was Stephen's image of the older gentleman shaving that he posted the other day, that I was a bit perturbed by both the texture and color of skin tones but also the somewhat un-nature 3D effect I was seeing in that image. Again it was just my perception, noting to do with the excellent imagery of Stephen.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

I think as your have surmised that the 3D effect is simply a combination of lenses like the 35 Summilux FLE, the new Leica M sensor and my post processing techniques applied to these images. The M240 files are very receptive to sharpening with a significant reduction in the amount of noise that would be present in a similar M9 file. I can't say if it's right or wrong, only that it's my style. I never use "presets" because I like to treat each image as an individual item, and my style also changes based on my mood and how many glasses of wine I have had. For me I like the 3D pop. Hey, I could have gone shooting today with the Nocti and ND filter. Talk about 3D!!!

Likewise I think most of us who are trail blazing with M240s are aware of the opinion that the AutoWB is a tad warm, and many are making adjustments to try and post more "correct" images. As I have said before I often slightly de-saturate red, orange and yellow, as it tends to give a more accurate skin tone to my asian friends, family and neighbors.

It's still early days for B&W conversion, but my impression is that the files behave very well in Silver Efex Pro and it's easier to dodge and burn without adding noise than with M9 files. I don't own an MM, but have had the chance to shoot with one on a few occasions. From those experiences I feel confident in saying that the MM still has an edge in monochrome, although the gap has closed significantly.
Hi Stephen,

Thanks ever so much fro responsing to all my comments and questions. It's extremely helpful to understand your perceptions and feelings regarding some of the topics and issues I mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, I too find the 3D effect quite effective with some images and you often present them to great effect. It was just on a few images I've been seeing with the M240 such as the one of the gentleman shaving, that I thought the outline of head appeared to be a bit un-natural as though the way the M240 captured and recored this image and the trasition between the outline of head and adjacent pixels of the background were too somehat un-usal. Of course it could have been the lighting as that sometimes contibutes to such phenominon.

Eventually I'd like to see transitional areas such as between a bright light and the immediately darker surrounding area with the M240, to see if something akin to what I describe it's more pronouced with the M240 vs. the M9.

Very interesting your explanation as to why the M240 does well with B&W. Not only for possibly more DR than the M9 but the ability to increase sharpening in areas of the file, especially shadow deatil, without it being somewhat destructive, as can happen with M9 images. Thanks again!

Dave (D&A)

Kokoshawnuff

First day "out and about" with the M (240) and while there wasn't much sun at least the fog and mist lifted. This nice man was giving himself a shave and a haircut on the sidewalk.
Great shots Stephen, they really stand out. Looks like your transition from the M9 to M was quick and seamless.

dude163

Been a tad slow the last few weeks at my place with snow days and sicknesses( its almost like Little kids get sick a lot :p)

Here are some shots from last year when my dad was flying my kite, I said the weather was too bad and might get risky his reply

" too windy to fly a Kite?? bah!"

at the start:

when we had to stop

I then said : " I didnt say it was too windy but too RISKY, what are you Ben Franklin?"

dude163

From thetown of Alma in the bay of Fundy , my eldest gal looking for fossils and shells etc
this is after the tide went out and dropped about 60 feet

as she tells me she is a " Part Time paleontologist" hahahaha

kids rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.