The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the New Leica M

There's no question that the new M provides excellent digital range and vivid colors. In my opinion, there's an important question of whether they are the right colors.

ashwinrao1

Yeah, not sure if it's the right colors.

Jono, I used the AWB. The setting was decidedly cool, but it's interesting how the M picked this up as very "blue". I noticed that the M tended to saturate blues, yellows, and greens with heavy richness.

Dave, most of those shots were 50 lux asph, though the first BW was the 8-element summicron

Vivek, funny. To me, the new M does paint different than either the M8 or the M9. I feel that the images are more saturated. Almost like a velvia makeover or something in the digital equivalent.

Kurt, I agree. What I found was instances where the M was spot on and others where it was way off, sometimes even from shot to shot. The WB issue needs some work.

The detail in the files is quite nice. BW conversions are fine, but after the MM, I realized how spoiled I was. I don't feel that the M could be a true replacement for those who have enjoyed the MM.

That being said, it's a nice camera. I didn't care for the EVF, other than in very low light, where it was helpful. Focus peaking in low light seemed challenged on the 50 lux asph, but better on the 35 lux FLE.

I also noted that older lenses, with different coatings, like the 8-element cron and 90 Leitz elmarit, painted almost pastel colors...very different...

Colors require work, and being a tad color blind, I could well be challenged by this camera...

It was a fun ride. I expect that it would take some time to get the workflow right. I am still enjoying the MM so much that I don't know where/when I'd shoot the M. I will get one eventually, probably after the Queues die down and prices start to settle...for me, I found the shooting experience a bit more complicated, with options such as the EVF a bit distracting from RF use, but it's nice to be able to use the camera as a true RF....it's a camera that requires a period of adjustment, both in useage and in file editing....

It'll be a fun camera to learn when the time is right, and it gets quite a few things right, but also a few things wrong (delayed shutter with EVF use, slow image replay after photo is taken)....

V

Vivek

Ashwin, The pics of you holding the M says it all to me. :)

Hosermage

Much to the dismay of my wife, I'm starting to process more and more images into BW. I can't really explain why.. but I try to keep pictures of family in color so she doesn't nag me as much :D

Gary Clennan

Yep - the M does indeed have WB issues. Just like the M8, M9, etc when they first came out. Not a big concern at all....

onesixeight

The skin tones are really off here, no? Your friends seems to look a bit too red on this photo. Unless he is like that in real life. It seems new M has issues with the skin tones?
Definitely too red...I was there yesterday and he isn't that red! :bugeyes:

ashwinrao1

I actually quite like the M, but the color issue is really challenging for me. I see the magenta and red where it shouldn't quite be, and I'm red green color blind....Once the M is sorted out through a few WB tweaks in firmware, and when skin tones are closer to what I am aiming for, I'll be onboard.

Amin

Much to the dismay of my wife, I'm starting to process more and more images into BW. I can't really explain why.. but I try to keep pictures of family in color so she doesn't nag me as much :D
+1!

I often ask my wife if she likes an image better in B&W or color, and I can't remember a single one yet she liked better in B&W. It's always "You know I like color better", and the best she says about a B&W conversion is "It's okay, I guess".

My boys continuing their photo walk:

L1001649 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

Canon 50/1.4 LTM, M9

... and one in color for my wife:

L1001887 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

Voigtlander 15/4.5, M9

Hosermage

M + DR Summicron using the close focus range and EVF to focus. This actually works fairly well. close focus distance is .5 m.
Woody, if I remember correctly, your DR was modified to be usable on newer M cameras, right? I hope I'm wrong, it would be awesome if the new M is compatible with the 50'Cron DR without any modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.