The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photojazz

I go from 50/1.4 soon, to 90/2.0 version 3. There's a gap to be filled someday, with a 75 cron probably. But I have to rest a while on buying glass.

kuujinbo

Keith makes it look easy. He probably focused on the branches below and asked his daughter to chase the dog to jump. That's how I would have done it :)

Is that the 75 'lux? I'm glad you put it into great use. It wasn't get enough love here because I also have the 85/2.
Thanks Richard. Actually that's our son, but don't worry, we hear that a lot due to his hair length. He was trying to keep up with our dog, not chasing him. ;)

The dog shot was before I got the 75 lux from you and only one that wasn't with the lens, but since I got it, it's pretty much been a permanent fixture on the camera. :D

richardman

Sorry Keith, but here's my story - at least once or twice a year, someone would call me "madam," and then apologize. At first I thought it must be my pony tail, which used to go almost down to my butt. However, I had it short for 4 years now and... same thing.

My only conclusion is that I look like an ugly Chinese woman ;-)

dude163

Another birthday party, this time my 6 year old daughter

Leica M8 and Elmarit 135mm

and the trusty rigid cron 50mm

bye for now

ced

Edward don't skimp on the posting of images from your part of the world I for one enjoy them and I love the image of the guy on the bench whose small toe pops out of the sandal like a thumb...
Lloyd I would love to see a comparison if you have a way to see why the M8 converts better to B&W than the M9 just for educations sake ofcourse:)
I love the image of the MB gent, the tones in the white outfit are great.

Lloyd

Thanks ced. Unfortunately, I no longer have an M9 to make the comparisons with. For me it was a matter of the levels of tonality. Look, for example at the b/w conversions in Robert's post just above (dude163). Wonderful tonalities, whereas the M9 conversions for me didn't have the same nuance and subtlety. Just seemed harsher somehow. Now the MM, that's another story... no flies on that one. ;)

dude163

Lloyd, thanks

I agree after lusting for a M9 for a long time I did a lot of comparisons and found that for me , the M8 is more viable . I prefer to use vintage lenses and the M8 suits them well, it also does a fantastic job of B+W , sort of a poor mans Monochrom ( well except no 10000 ISO!)

What some people overlook is pixel density , the M9 is full frame and is 18 MP the M8 is a 1.33 crop and is only 10 MP, relatively the same if you do the math

Cheers!

dude163

for comparisons sake here is the same shot in Colour and then B+W

look at the detail on her bracelet, cuff and the edge of the cake

not bad for a lens from 1973 ( elmarit 135 f2.8, although this is at f5.6)

ced

Here are 2 with same PP and then one switched to B&W via CS4.
I can't figure where is the harshness...
Maybe am missing something?

Last edited:

ced

Dude I find the light tones in the batton and the top of the cake are lost during the conversion don't you think?

V

Vivek

I agree after lusting for a M9 for a long time I did a lot of comparisons and found that for me , the M8 is more viable . I prefer to use vintage lenses and the M8 suits them well, it also does a fantastic job of B+W , sort of a poor mans Monochrom ( well except no 10000 ISO!)

What some people overlook is pixel density , the M9 is full frame and is 18 MP the M8 is a 1.33 crop and is only 10 MP, relatively the same if you do the math

Cheers!
While I agree with what Llyod said above, there are no poor man's Leica. Do recall the thread about Sarah Lee and her mention (in a blog) about Leica prices. You, Robert, have a dentist camera (though it is practically useless for dental photography). :D

The M9 is a much better camera than the M8, in every respect. Check out post 10115 from Mohammad.

The atrociously expensive MM is in a very different class altogether.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
While I agree with what Llyod said above, there are no poor man's Leica. Do recall the thread about Sarah Lee and her mention (in a blog) about Leica prices. You, Robert, have a dentist camera (though it is practically useless for dental photography). :D

The M9 is a much better camera than the M8, in every respect. Check out post 10115 from Mohammad.

The atrociously expensive MM is in a very different class altogether.
Well, having owned both M8 and M9 cameras, I mite have to take issue with there not being a poor man's Leica. I've moved onto shooting a Fuji X-E1. I find it better in almost every regard save for the difference in falloff between an APS-C and a full frame sized sensor. I can't get that full frame shallow depth of field with my Fuji, but in every other regard this little thing kicks even my M9's ***. At 10% of the cost, once you factor in the equivalent focal length lens.

Both cameras are fast, the Fuji is almost silent, both make great prints, edge in color goes to Fuji, high ISO the Fuji is way better, and both have great ergonomics for the kind of documentary/street shooting I do. Leica lenses work well on both, but the EVF on the Fuji is way better to focus with in low light, which is where I spend most of my time. Is it a poor man's Leica? Nope, it doesn't have the Leica brand. But it doesn't give up much of anything else that helps great photographers create great photographs!

jonoslack

Hi Chuck
. . . but the Fuji doesn't have a rangefinder!

Lots of great shots - I'm keeping connected - lot's of stuff going on here, and not too much time for photography or forums - but hey - you have to keep that shutter clicking:

Matty! Stop Pulling My Tail (M240 and 75 'cron)

Discussing the Tooth Fairy with Anna and Saul (M240 and 75 'cron)

Contemplating the Fuel Bill (M240 and 75 'cron)

Flowers in the lane (M240 and 28 'cron at f2)

V

Vivek

Well, having owned both M8 and M9 cameras, I mite have to take issue with there not being a poor man's Leica. I've moved onto shooting a Fuji X-E1. I find it better in almost every regard save for the difference in falloff between an APS-C and a full frame sized sensor. I can't get that full frame shallow depth of field with my Fuji, but in every other regard this little thing kicks even my M9's ***. At 10% of the cost, once you factor in the equivalent focal length lens.

Both cameras are fast, the Fuji is almost silent, both make great prints, edge in color goes to Fuji, high ISO the Fuji is way better, and both have great ergonomics for the kind of documentary/street shooting I do. Leica lenses work well on both, but the EVF on the Fuji is way better to focus with in low light, which is where I spend most of my time. Is it a poor man's Leica? Nope, it doesn't have the Leica brand. But it doesn't give up much of anything else that helps great photographers create great photographs!
You can list anything you want, cost, live view, etc, etc. Can your XE-1 do this?

Doggies

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Interrupted by a Leica nearby.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

;)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the New Leica M

First go at LR 4.4. M+21SEM-Dry Tortugas NP-Fort Jefferson-click to enlarge.

View attachment 72531
Very nice and atmospheric shot, kudos!
I once went for lunch on the last of the dry tortugas, at the house of an elderly, interesting man who had a sort of expensive shack on it for weekend parties. I think it was the actual southernmost house in the USA... a strange, interesting and slightly odd place.

Photojazz

I see some things work the same in the Netherlands as here in the US. ROFLMAO.

Dude163, your daughter's birthday party photos are wonderful. The M8 shined here.

Status
Not open for further replies.