The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuujinbo

kuujinbo - Great set as always, my wife loves your pup :)
Thank you Steve, and we love Hanzo too. :)

Congratulations to your wife on her yoga certification. I stretch before every workout (getting old, no choice) and can only dream of that kind of flexibility and body control...

Jeff S

Re: Fun with the New Leica M

In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying the M. I'm most pleased with the higher ISO, the increased dynamic range and the multi-field exposure setting.
Kurt, could you expand a bit on how you use the multi-field exposure setting? Do you use this in classic or advanced mode, and with or without the EVF? Does the delayed shooting (in order for the shutter to open, close and open again) present any problems?

I appreciate your feedback.

Jeff

Photojazz

humble apologies, this is a Nikon shot. I just wanted to take a family portrait:

Single parent M9 with newest child: 75mm APO Summicron ASPH mounted:
The rest of the kids: 24mm 1.4 FLE Summilux ASPH, 35mm 1.4 Summilux FLE ASPH, 50mm FLE Summilux ASPH, 90mm Version 3 Summicron, in no particular order...

scho

Nothing better than a wallow in a cool mud pit on a hot day.:rolleyes:

Followed by some nice chilled seafood.:thumbup:

Leica M-E with the Voigtlander 21mm f/1.8 Ultron ASPH.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Kurt, could you expand a bit on how you use the multi-field exposure setting? Do you use this in classic or advanced mode, and with or without the EVF? Does the delayed shooting (in order for the shutter to open, close and open again) present any problems?

I appreciate your feedback.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

After a few more days of shooting, I realized that I was a little too enthusiastic about multi-field metering. I liked using the multi-field option especially when shooting subjects with bright backgrounds. Just as your questions imply, the delayed shooting in advanced mode really has an impact on the ability to fire off successive shots. So now I'm strictly using classic metering. The great thing about the new M is that the excellent dynamic range allows you pull back quite a bit out of the shadows making shooting in the classic mode quite exciting ... especially when you need to shoot directly into the light. I don't use a viewfinder since I'm a big fan of carrying around the camera in one hand with a thumbs-up attached.

Kurt

D&A

Hi Jeff,

After a few more days of shooting, I realized that I was a little too enthusiastic about multi-field metering. I liked using the multi-field option especially when shooting subjects with bright backgrounds. Just as your questions imply, the delayed shooting in advanced mode really has an impact on the ability to fire off successive shots. So now I'm strictly using classic metering. The great thing about the new M is that the excellent dynamic range allows you pull back quite a bit out of the shadows making shooting in the classic mode quite exciting ... especially when you need to shoot directly into the light. I don't use a viewfinder since I'm a big fan of carrying around the camera in one hand with a thumbs-up attached.

Kurt
What I'm trying to fully grasp is why in multi-field metering as described, is there a delay in shooting (successive frames?). I would have thought regardless of the metering mode, triggering of the shutter itself shouldn't be affected. I'm thinking along the lines of the various metering modes found in other cameras. They all assess the scene in different ways but don't delay the firing of the shutter. That is unless I'm misunderstanding this asptec of the M240?

Dave (D&A)

Jeff S

Thanks, Kurt.

Dave, in classic mode, metering is the same as with prior digital Ms, i.e., read off the shutter curtain (by 3 small eyes at the bottom of the bayonet). The shutter doesn't need to open for metering. However, in advanced mode, metering is done in live view directly off the sensor (either center weighted, spot or multi-field). So, to do this, the shutter must cycle open to meter, then close and then open again for actual exposure.

At least that's what I think happens; hence the lag.

Jeff

D&A

Thanks, Kurt.

Dave, in classic mode, metering is the same as with prior digital Ms, i.e., read off the shutter curtain (by 3 small eyes at the bottom of the bayonet). The shutter doesn't need to open for metering. However, in advanced mode, metering is done in live view directly off the sensor (either center weighted, spot or multi-field). So, to do this, the shutter must cycle open to meter, then close and then open again for actual exposure.

At least that's what I think happens; hence the lag.

Jeff
Thanks for the explanation Jeff, makes perfect sense. I would have thought it relative easy for Leica to possibly use only one of the "eyes" for spot metering (although it would have to be able to read centrally off the shutter curtain) without the need to go into live mode, thereby giving the option of at least two metering modes without the shutter delay.

I also wonder though if there was a creative approach for Leica to develop a way to also take multiple readings off the shutter curtain for center weighted metering? I would think there times where this delay would be inappropriate for certain types of shooting but whereby some of these metering options would be desirable.

Dave (D&A)

xdayv

humble apologies, this is a Nikon shot. I just wanted to take a family portrait:

Single parent M9 with newest child: 75mm APO Summicron ASPH mounted:
The rest of the kids: 24mm 1.4 FLE Summilux ASPH, 35mm 1.4 Summilux FLE ASPH, 50mm FLE Summilux ASPH, 90mm Version 3 Summicron, in no particular order...
Lacking a second parent, the MM or the M240.

Instead of fireworks, I opted for camping for July 4th and some nice sunrises.
David, I'll go for a camping with a nice sunrise like the one in your first shot, anytime.

ZM C Sonnar:

Jackson, May 26, 2013 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr
Does Jackson fit in well in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.