The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Gray Day to Fly
Westchester County Airport 2017

This photo is a nine frame panorama composite, captured hand-held through the airport's Observation Lounge window. The full resolution image is available from Netflix with appropriate permissions, it's 68 MPixel and runs about 7 megabytes or so.

©2017 by Godfrey DiGiorgi, All Rights Reserved

tech info:
Leica M-D + Summilux-M 35 v2
ISO 400 @ f/8

enjoy!
G

scott kirkpatrick

Godfrey, that's not a common tourist destination. I used to fly in a flying club at HPN (before it became KHPN), but those activities have moved across the field into your grey distances. What brought you there?

scott

Godfrey

Godfrey, that's not a common tourist destination. I used to fly in a flying club at HPN (before it became KHPN), but those activities have moved across the field into your grey distances. What brought you there?
When I was a child, well, shortly after I learned to drive and had managed to acquire wheels, I remember often driving up to Westchester Airport when the Terminal was a one room hut, there was only the one runway, it had no jetways, and the hangar where they did maintenance and repairs was pretty much an open building next door that anyone could walk into and talk to the men doing the work.

I grew up about 30 minutes south of there, in New Rochelle, and my first memories of the site were of rolling fields and a polo tournament before they built I-684 and the airfield.

A lot of my family and friends still live in the area so I usually arrange travel to the East with HPN as the destination. It's much more convenient to where I need to go than La Guardia, Newark, or JFK. I was there for the last week to attend the funeral of one of my oldest friends' father, and secondarily to visit with a number of friends and family.

I love the place. I remember when the runway was first certified for jet aircraft: I spent an entire week of evenings going up there to watch them take off and land.

G

scott kirkpatrick

When I was a child, well, shortly after I learned to drive and had managed to acquire wheels, I remember often driving up to Westchester Airport when the Terminal was a one room hut, there was only the one runway, it had no jetways, and the hangar where they did maintenance and repairs was pretty much an open building next door that anyone could walk into and talk to the men doing the work.
G
Wow, things have changed. There's a good summary of the field's history at

http://airfactsjournal.com/2015/09/hpn-birds-eye-view-past-present/

which includes an aerial picture of the field in 1947, five years after it was prepared for WW II use. It shows what looks like three runways (one of which is presently a long taxiway) and your maintenance hangar. I did my instrument training at Panorama, took checkrides at Westair, both of which have morphed and disappeared. When I was instructing, we would debrief over bad coffee in the hut you mention. But the fancy small terminal and its parking garage came in sometime in the late 1990s, just before we moved away.

The changes are characteristic. I stopped in at KHPN two summers ago. Westair had become "Millionaire." Fuel was so expensive that my old flying club had taken to stopping in Poughkeepsie for cheaper gas, and had lost my favorite plane due to a fuel exhaustion accident.

scott

Godfrey

Wow, things have changed. There's a good summary of the field's history at

http://airfactsjournal.com/2015/09/hpn-birds-eye-view-past-present/

which includes an aerial picture of the field in 1947, five years after it was prepared for WW II use. It shows what looks like three runways (one of which is presently a long taxiway) and your maintenance hangar. I did my instrument training at Panorama, took checkrides at Westair, both of which have morphed and disappeared. When I was instructing, we would debrief over bad coffee in the hut you mention. But the fancy small terminal and its parking garage came in sometime in the late 1990s, just before we moved away. ...
... Which clearly shows the difference between the romantic memories of a 16 year old boy agog with fantasies of airplanes and flight, and the historical record. :)

I love the place regardless. It was my airport, a 'secret' I shared with countless friends my age and younger, one at a time, in those long ago days. We'd sit on the fence, or a rock, in the 'sweet spot' and watch the planes for hours on end, late into the evening. My eyes well with joy just thinking of it. It inspired me to go work for NASA, ultimately, one of the signal most memorable parts of my now-ended, forty-year career in the world of technology.

Ah, youth.
G

"No matter where you go, there you are."

rayyen

A week foto trip in a small village in Japan, Kitaibaraki.

LeicaM10+90APO

LeicaM10+21ElmaritASPH

LeicaM10+90APO

LeicaM10+50APO

Status
Not open for further replies.