The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjr

I agree with you Peter on good images, it's irrelevant what it is shot on. It's possible to see really beautiful work on every section of this forum, a lot that really doesn't appeal to me at all but will others of course. This is definitely a gear focussed forum though which is absolutely fine, I tend to prefer shots from specific people regardless of what they shoot with and will search them out on Instagram or websites if I can, the eye, vision and opportunities they create is far far more interesting to me than streams of images that just happen to be taken with a camera I own or am interested in. But there is a lot of great stuff to be found here and some of it inspirational.

The Leica forum is interesting because it sort of documents the shift in technology, the M specifically is so far away from what is current and yet, in the right circumstances it produces absolutely wonderful images. Anyway, none of it matters, it's not life and death it's just a beautiful way of seeing and documenting the world around you, people can and should shoot with whatever the hell they want, I appreciate the opportunity here to learn and see cool stuff now and again.

Mat

M

mjr

Morning

A little cliche shot this morning, from a train window at night in the rain.

PeterA

A snapshot along the beach one afternoon - I'd be a liar if I din't say that (occassionally) I do miss the M's optical viewfinder - it is a different way of seeing - probably better or is that just nostalgia, because I've been using them for so many years?

M

mjr

Having shot EVF for a couple of years now, a necessary evil for me as I really don't like them, returning to optical is just amazing. It's so freeing, especially with the M being able to see beyond the frame lines, I really enjoy it, it's not as big as the S I had for years but for me it is just so much better than EVF. I think it's great that there are options as we all like different things.

A quick snap this morning at first light, this is a district heating centre, towns up here run off a central plant for heating homes, I have wanted to capture it early for ages, at this time of year the sun is so low and late rising that I can get there in time.

JohnBrew

Really enjoying this thread once again. Nice to see Mat shooting an M - he has such a good eye and is a wonderful photographer. I still shoot digital M but have lately been playing around with M glass on the Z7 - being able to zoom 200% in the viewfinder does wonders for manual focus lenses. The Z7, though, still takes a back seat to the Leica for travel and street photography.

M

mjr

Morning

I think this could technically be classed as street photography here in Lapland, side of the road with reindeer yesterday lunchtime on the way home. Where I live we don't see the sun directly at all in the day, but the hills get lit up nicely, it's generally pretty dark with the sun only up for a couple of hours. Left this as the ambient light is here at the moment, feels more realistic.

DwF

A snapshot along the beach one afternoon - I'd be a liar if I didn't say that (occasionally) I do miss the M's optical viewfinder - it is a different way of seeing - probably better or is that just nostalgia, because I've been using them for so many years?
This is very nicely composed Peter. I'm new here to this thread, what finder are you currently using? And from my experience, when I leave the Leica M (whichever model of M) in the closet, I always rejoice in how present I feel with what's in front of the camera. I know for me it is not sentimental.

David

PeterA

This is very nicely composed Peter. I'm new here to this thread, what finder are you currently using? And from my experience, when I leave the Leica M (whichever model of M) in the closet, I always rejoice in how present I feel with what's in front of the camera. I know for me it is not sentimental.

David
Hi David

Thanks for your comment, appreciate it.

Re viewfinder?: This snap was made with an M10 and 35lux, I did have the EVF for the M10, but I tbh I never used it and wouldn't recommend it. In usual snapshot shooting I don't worry too much about 'perfect' framing in camera - even 24 megapixels allows for some ( inevitable horizon straightening in post) and we all know that rangefinders aren't perfect as far as WYSWYG shooting at edges anyway. Did that answer your question?

Cheers
Pete

M

mjr

Morning

Feeling black and white today, first day of picking the camera up from the very South of Sweden, had a wander around outside the store and took my first test pictures with it, still need to work on my processing for sure. I seem to be seeing in square format a lot at the moment not sure why, just going with it, maybe I'm subconsciously preparing for a Hasselblad or something 6x6 for film!

Reactions: ceh
M

mjr

I wouldn't like it too much, it's 2 shots! The motion in the train was easy to capture but this guy walked along just as the train left, so stuck him in. It's the shot I would have taken had he been there!

Mat

pegelli

Well, a painter always paints in the (extra) persons as well, so I don't worry too much if it's a composite or not :toocool:

Is the guy you see walking away just behind the left van the same guy?

M

mjr

No, different guy, the entire motion shot was one, the only thing cut in is the guy leaning, shots taken less than a minute apart, same framing so very easy just to add him in.

Cheers

Mat

dave.gt

Morning

Feeling black and white today, first day of picking the camera up from the very South of Sweden, had a wander around outside the store and took my first test pictures with it, still need to work on my processing for sure. I seem to be seeing in square format a lot at the moment not sure why, just going with it, maybe I'm subconsciously preparing for a Hasselblad or something 6x6 for film!

Well, a Hassy sounds great! 😃

I am Blad to the Bone, :ROTFL:, but I really would enjoy a digital M. I think they would be a great complementary mixed format match!:):(:)

M

mjr

Have been very tempted with a Mamiya 7II and have looked at a couple of 'blads Dave, new year will see something arriving I'm sure but a film M is a no brainer, share lenses and just enjoy the process of taking pictures. A digital M is a wonderful thing if it fits with how you want to shoot, I'm really enjoying it!

Cheers

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.