The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjr

Afternoon!

There's a very old rundown church in the little village my Mother lives, it's falling apart, had the lead stolen from the roof and it's a shame as it's a beautiful old building. A couple of quick shots from inside.

and one in black and white..

Shashin

I agree with you Peter on good images, it's irrelevant what it is shot on. It's possible to see really beautiful work on every section of this forum, a lot that really doesn't appeal to me at all but will others of course. This is definitely a gear focussed forum though which is absolutely fine, I tend to prefer shots from specific people regardless of what they shoot with and will search them out on Instagram or websites if I can, the eye, vision and opportunities they create is far far more interesting to me than streams of images that just happen to be taken with a camera I own or am interested in. But there is a lot of great stuff to be found here and some of it inspirational.

The Leica forum is interesting because it sort of documents the shift in technology, the M specifically is so far away from what is current and yet, in the right circumstances it produces absolutely wonderful images. Anyway, none of it matters, it's not life and death it's just a beautiful way of seeing and documenting the world around you, people can and should shoot with whatever the hell they want, I appreciate the opportunity here to learn and see cool stuff now and again.

Mat
Mat, I have been thinking about these statements. Naturally, as photographers, there is a great sensitivity to image quality: an intuitive response to the richness of the photographic process for its own sake. And with the photographic process, and cameras in particular, the truism still remains: the bigger the better. But big cameras have their down sides, weight and cost.

The camera I have most enjoyed using was the Mamiya 6. Big negs for quality, but a very compact body for portability and use. It was also the camera that turned me on to rangefinders. When I was putting a book together on the work I did at the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo, I realized I missed the spontaneity of that camera, at least in relation to my MFD Pentax. The digital version of the Mamiya which caught my eye was the Fuji X Pro2, but APSC seemed to be a big (small?) change. I did put that camera through some real tests, including 40" prints.

I guess where this is leading is to a simple question that has been on my mind: will people enjoy my photography any less because of the camera I use?

M

mjr

Hey Will!

Interesting question, my own personal opinion is I doubt it, and also that other photographers are probably the worst judge of whether an image is good or not, regardless of format.

I recently did an extremely detailed test of this very thing with an image from the GFX and the M, I showed an intense, outspoken, impartial critic (also known as my Mum) the 2 shots on my iphone, she took a look, grabbed my cheek, gave it a squeeze and said, ahh cherub, they are both lovely. Proof if any were needed that either she's utterly bonkers or that it doesn't matter, haha!

Seriously though, leaving aside the needs of a client, which are quantifiable mostly and result in a paid invoice if they are happy, I don't really think I care whether people can tell a difference or not. My motivation isn't pleasing images for others, it's the process of being somewhere and capturing an image I'm proud of. The tools I choose to use are intensely personal and need to fit my own criteria, the tools anyone else use should equally be personal to them, it shouldn't matter to anyone else. My recent experience has been that trying to shoot in Iraq with a GFX is an utter pain in the backside, even getting in to the country with it has risks. I decided that I could get far more shots with the M than with the GFX, so it was a simple decision for me. The loss in quality is negligible at the size I now display my work, and ultimately, I'd rather not be a target by standing like a fool in the street with a big camera.

A Mamiya or similar is in my future for sure, not because I think people will like the images more or because I think the images will be better, just because I'd love the experience of shooting with one. I have an old Rollei TLR I was cleaning up the other day, I don't think I have ever seen anything so glorious as looking down at a scene through that focussing screen, it's just amazing!

Anyway, after that rambling response, I don't think it matters one bit, and if it does to some then so be it, I'm the one taking the image so my choices are all that matters to me. What conclusions have you come to?

Cheers

Mat

pegelli

I guess where this is leading is to a simple question that has been on my mind: will people enjoy my photography any less because of the camera I use?
Will, an interesting question and after some thinking my position on this is also a bit similar to what Mat wrote.

In short the answer for me is that "non-photographers" will not care about what camera is used, but a photographer who enjoys using his equipment will make better photos that will be enjoyed more by "non-photographers"

Hope this makes sense.

Shashin

What conclusions have you come to?
My conclusion is the camera is rather secondary. There is so much photography I enjoy from such a great range of cameras, processes, and technical attributes (grain/noise and narrow DR never really bothered me). What defines it is the photographer and their skills. Now, there is a correlation between the camera and the quality of the photographs, but it is also true that more skilled photographers use higher-end gear, which kind of gets back to the person behind the camera again.

Personally, I find the idea liberating. I know my best work comes from when I am enjoying myself and am inspired by what I am photographing.

(Sorry for hijacking the Leica M thread. I always enjoy the work here.)

dave.gt

"Japanese Cherry Blossom Trees" Tidal Basin Reservoir, Wash. D.C.

Leica M9; 50mm.

Dave (D&A)
Gorgeous, Dave!:thumbup:

We should visit DC again, my bride really wants to see the Spring cherry blossoms bloom!:)

Spring won't be long in arriving, now. Our daffodils are six inches high and will bloom next week. Our tulips just broke through the surface and are barely visible.

It is true that Spring shall not be denied!

Status
Not open for further replies.