The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd

The the time has once again come to start a new Digital M thread. I thought I start off with a cautionary tale... as in at least be careful who sees you grab that candid shot!

I was in the lobby of a local building, which is often used by photographers. This photog was shooting a bride, so I grabbed a shot of him:

Then I grabbed this shot of the bride (really of the lighting set up of the photog, which is what interested me.)

A guy just to my left, immediately started in on me about how I should ask her permission first, and how I need her permission in writing or I could be sued, etc., etc. I thanked him for enlightening me, and wished him a good day, and started to leave. He asked if I wasn't going to delete the shots I took. I said, "No, I think I'll keep them", and walked away.

M8, 28 Cron.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Great story, Lloyd. It's a cautionary and sad tale of what a photographer should never be ... rude and arrogant. Photographers that are so defensive usually are the ones trying to make up for professional inadequacies. Several months ago I made the mistake of asking a photographer if I could move his tripod that was about to be run-over by a forklift at a tradeshow ... he gave me an earful on not ever touching a 'professional's tools' ... never mind that he was about to lose his D3000 to the forklift operator. He then pointed to my camera and said he'd used every kind of camera there is including mine and stomped off in a huff. I laughed and turned the other way.

Double Negative

Not Available
Some people are just too uptight, jeez. I hope the forklift did run over that one guy's rig. ;)

And what's with placing the umbrella where the window light is coming from? I can see boosting the window light, but it has its own magic - and I'd probably want to wash out the tungsten lighting on the other side to balance the colors better. Good call on the response, heh.

Anyway, @dude163 - that's a lovely shot.

ashwinrao1

Here's another cautionary tail (LOL) taken from an earlier experience with Lloyd...

Sorry, I had to....Lloyd, you should have given that photog the ol' Ashwin treatment...By the way, Lloyd, is that the halway of the "Grand America Hotel" that I see in the cautionary tale of the evil angry wedding photog...

ashwinrao1

Great captures, Frank. I find the first 2 in your series to be the best to my eyes, with a cleaer focus point and thematic composition in each case. Great stuff!

DavidE

New thread... cool!

Gee, it seems all fresh and new here. :)

Two with the 24 lux

The first is a shot of the side-entrance chandeliers at the Riviera. From my April trip to Vegas.

The second is a shot of the duck march at the Peabody Hotel. From my March trip to Orlando.

DavidE

Hah, David that second image of the ducks taking a stroll down the red carpet is truly precious!
Thanks Ashwin.

The Peabody is located right beside the convention center, so I went back a second time for another round of shots (the ducks do their march twice daily). You have to react fast, so I was in the absolute best position (squatting on the carpet) and knew I had gotten some great shots (even better than this one).

Only problem: I left the lens cap on. Oops!

Lloyd

Great story, Lloyd. It's a cautionary and sad tale of what a photographer should never be ... rude and arrogant. Photographers that are so defensive usually are the ones trying to make up for professional inadequacies. Several months ago I made the mistake of asking a photographer if I could move his tripod that was about to be run-over by a forklift at a tradeshow ... he gave me an earful on not ever touching a 'professional's tools' ... never mind that he was about to lose his D3000 to the forklift operator. He then pointed to my camera and said he'd used every kind of camera there is including mine and stomped off in a huff. I laughed and turned the other way.
Great story, Kurt. Some people... sheesh.

I thought you were going to say you pushed him over the balcony a la James bond!
Hmm... I can't say it didn't occur to me. ;) BTW, very nice shot of the flowers.

Some people are just too uptight, jeez. I hope the forklift did run over that one guy's rig. ;)

And what's with placing the umbrella where the window light is coming from? I can see boosting the window light, but it has its own magic - and I'd probably want to wash out the tungsten lighting on the other side to balance the colors better. Good call on the response, heh.
My guess is he was using the light to fill in the bride's right side. I saw some of his results (just on the screen of his camera), and that seemed to be the effect.

Here's another cautionary tail (LOL) taken from an earlier experience with Lloyd...

Sorry, I had to....Lloyd, you should have given that photog the ol' Ashwin treatment...By the way, Lloyd, is that the halway of the "Grand America Hotel" that I see in the cautionary tale of the evil angry wedding photog...
Ah yes... I timeless moment. And a cautionary tale indeed. Mess with the school Marm, and you might get your britches warmed! That's a favorite memory for me!:thumbup: Now we're talking decisive moment! :D The pix were taken in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building (formerly the Hotel Utah, which just passed it's 100th birthday last Thursday.)

Last edited:

Lloyd

New thread... cool!

Gee, it seems all fresh and new here. :)

Two with the 24 lux

The first is a shot of the side-entrance chandeliers at the Riviera. From my April trip to Vegas.

The second is a shot of the duck march at the Peabody Hotel. From my March trip to Orlando.
Those are great shots, David. Love that duck march!

Lloyd

Wow, you keep posting these amazing photos, Ashwin.

This one is perfect in every way -- the composition, the processing, but most of all, it's a very special moment they will always treasure.
Big +1 from me, Ashwin. That first one is world class. :salute:

dude163

another Strobist style with my Metz Mecablitz ( I love that name!!!) My daughter the night before she woke up at 6 am with a 103F fever, I didnt notice she looked that sick until I processed this image :(

dude163

Wow, you keep posting these amazing photos, Ashwin.

This one is perfect in every way -- the composition, the processing, but most of all, it's a very special moment they will always treasure.
+1 great shot of the bride and child Ashwin!

Status
Not open for further replies.