The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 to M9 and other early-summer permutations

ramosa

All,

I have had an M8 for more than three years. I love it--and have learned a great amount from using it. I normally shoot street/urban photography and currently have three lenses: Elmarit 28mm ASPH, Summilux 50mm ASPH, and Rollei Planar 80mm HFT. Thus, on an M8, these permit the following fields of view: 37, 67, and 106.

Perhaps because of the summer heat :eek:, I have been pondering three plans: 1) stick with what I have; 2) sell the Lux 50mm and replace it with a Nocti 50mm; or 3) sell the M8, Elmarit 28mm, and Planar 80mm--and get an M9 and a pre-ASPH Cron 90mm (last version before the current ASPH version).

Let's focus on the third plan, as the second is a bit crazy and has already been fuel to innumerable online threads. Per the third plan, here are two related comments and a question. First, my preferred focal lengths for a FF would be 35-50-90, but I wouldn't currently be able to afford adding an M9, a 90mm lens, and a 35mm lens. Second, while I love the Planar 80mm on an M8, I think it would be too short for my use on an M9. My question: On an M9, what do you think about a two-lens kit of the Summilux 50mm ASPH and pre-ASPH Cron 90mm? (Some may recommend a 35-90, instead, but I already have the Lux 50mm.)

The current pluses to me of this third plan are the upgrade in camera (from M8 to M9) and the capacity to use the Lux 50mm at its natural field of view--of 50mm, as compared to 67mm on the M8, which isn't a really effective field of view for me.

R

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
You have an excellent set of lenses. Just upgrade your M8 to M9. If there is one lens that I will keep, it is the 50 Summilux ASPH.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
The cron50's are also among the best lenses ever made. And I'd MUCH rather have an M9+cron50 than an M8+lux50, even ignoring the crop factor. In fact, I'd consider it a no-brainer. YMMV. :)

seakayaker

1.) Sell of the M8, Elmarit and Rollei Planar 80mm HFT, then buy the M9. Use M9 and 50 lux until funds available to buy Leica 90mm and 28mm again.

2.) Sell of the M8, Elmarit and Rollei Planar 80mm HFT, then buy the M9 along with a CV Ultron 28/1.9 or 28/2 and CV APO Lathar 90/3.5. Use M9 with Lux and CV lens until funds available to replace CV lens.

. . . . .

3.) Then there is the temptation to sell the M8 with the 50 Lux because of the high resale value of the 50 lux going on right now to raise funds. Then buy the M9 and one of several 50mm lens to choose from, a Leica Summicron 50/2 (if you can find one) or Elmarit 50/2.8, Zeiss 50/1.5 or 50/2 (if you can find a Zeiss 50 to buy on the market), or CV Nokton ASPH 50/1.5 or CV Heliar 50/2. This would also leave you with the Leica Elmarit 28/2.8 and Rollei Planar 80mm HFT for a three lens kit.

Fun to work with the what if game. A ton of options . . . . .

Good luck with your decision.

ramosa

Thanks for the comments. I realize such pondering and permutations can be a mix of productive, fun, and crazy. I'm most interested in productive. I won't sell the Lux 50. I agree with the related comments.

Dan: You raise some interesting options. The first really makes some sense for me, as it would cut down on additional monies that I would need to fund the M9 purchase. It would render me with just one lens, but I would later add a 35 and 90.

Godfrey

1.) Sell of the M8, Elmarit and Rollei Planar 80mm HFT, then buy the M9. Use M9 and 50 lux until funds available to buy Leica 90mm and 35mm.
That's what I'd do given the starting point of the equipment you already have.

If, however, you already have the M8 and the lens kit that works well enough to state "I love it!", I'd recommend putting the credit card and the money away until the M9 infatuation passes. Just go out and enjoy making photographs, particularly if you lack the money to get the lens kit that an M9 will require.

My situation runs like this:
- I miss my M4-P and M6TTL. I could buy either but will no longer buy a film camera.
- I'd like to work with an M9, but can't afford it yet.

Some day I'll resolve this situation. One step at a time.. ]'-)

S

Simon Seven

You are not going to make better pictures by spending more money, I would stay as I am... though I don't see the point of the 80mm.
By the way, the selling of a lux 50 asph is probably the 8th deadly sin.

regards.

jonoslack

: On an M9, what do you think about a two-lens kit of the Summilux 50mm ASPH and pre-ASPH Cron 90mm? (Some may recommend a 35-90, instead, but I already have the Lux 50mm.)
Sounds excellent to me - but don't forget the lovely summarits, both the 75 and 90 are excellent, small, and can be achieved for sensible money.

If you're not a wide guy, then I absolutely endorse the 50/90 combination

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The logic behind using a wide angle on the street is to add context to your images. With a 28FOV you can get close to a subject but also hold details in the background that add information to your image . Granted its a reporters style but if you enjoy street shooting you can learn to work with either a 28 or a 35 mm FOV .

I would definitely move to the M9 and keep the 50 lux ...probably one of the best combinations for the street . But I would keep the 28 elmarit asph rather than getting the 90mm .

It always depends though on your shooting location and style ..if you are in a large city using the 28 is pretty easy ....if you are near water or out in the country you might like the 90 more as you can t always get as close .

ramosa

Thanks for the perspectives. They are very helpful.

Roger: I do like the 28 on my M8, but it'd be too wide for me on FF. Is there sense to having a 35 and 50 if you have just two lenses? As noted, my goal would be 35-50-90. The question would be what lens comes second after the 50?

Simon: I got the 80 for use on the M8. I pondered a 90, but didn't want it to be too long with the crop. It has a great rendering, but, on a FF, would move into the middle range, which I don't tend to use a lot. And I agree; there's always a strong logic to stick with what you have and just use it more.

Godfrey

I like a wide-normal for street work because it allows me to work at intimate distances, giving a nice perspective. Shooting people from a distance looks, well, distant.

A 50 pairs up nicely with a 35mm, that's a classic combination that carries a lot of work. A three lens kit of 35-50-90 mm is one of the classic combinations, before 21, 24, and 28 mm lenses were particularly easy to find or afford.

Paratom

do you have to sell a lens to finance the M9?
If not I would keep what you have-sounds perfect to me and I dont think there is much difference between 80 and 90mm.

I would miss something if 50 mm was my widest lens, I would rather have 50 as my longest if I had to choose. But thats me.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
At least I would wait now for the M9P regardless of what I would (could) sell. Should be out in a few days.

Godfrey

At least I would wait now for the M9P regardless of what I would (could) sell. Should be out in a few days.
I'm kind of hoping that the release of the M9P will put a couple of low-use M9s onto the used market. If a particular windfall comes my way soon and there are a couple of M9 bodies floating about for under $4500 ... oh, my bank account will suffer. =8^\

seakayaker

Thanks for the perspectives. They are very helpful.

Roger: I do like the 28 on my M8, but it'd be too wide for me on FF. Is there sense to having a 35 and 50 if you have just two lenses? As noted, my goal would be 35-50-90. The question would be what lens comes second after the 50?
ramosa, I used to have the same thoughts regarding the 28 being to wide on a FF and have had a change of heart on the matter. If you do not end up selling the lens you may want to give it a work out on the M9. If you do not like it you can always sell/trade up for a 35 later. The 28/50/90 is a very workable three lens group, JMHO.

Some sample photos taken with the M9 28/1.9 Ultron, excuse the repeats created when using NIK software for the 1st time. http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/72157626465325520/