Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica Storage

Post Thanks / Like

Leica Storage

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a bad/container for my Leica gear when I'm not using it. I have an old Leica bag and the Billingham Leica M bag, but even combined they cannot fit all my gear. I'm thinking of something from Pelican but looking for better suggestions.

My current kit consists of:

M9
    WATE
    24/2.8
    35/1.2 (Nok)
    35/2.0
    50/1.4
    50/2.0
    90/2.8
    SF-24
    Various filters, eyepieces

Thanks everyone!
    Canon 5D3, 17 TS-E, 24 TS-E II, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 90 TS-E, 100 Macro IS, 135/2, 200/2, 300/4 IS, 16-24/4 IS, 20-35/2.8, 24-105/4 IS, 420EX, 600EX-RT

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica Storage

I don't store my gear in a bag. I store it in a closet with shelving, inside plastic organizer drawers (I got mine at the Container Store) lined with movable dividers so bits don't bump into one another. There's plenty of airflow which defeats the growth of mold and fungus, but it keeps the dust out. Only thing to be careful of is to pick drawers made of plastics that don't outgas ... if you smell the drawers and detect a strong odor, that plastic is outgassing too much.

My bags sit empty of gear with all the little bits I normally will want (lens cleaning cloth and dust blower, notebook, pens, releases, etc) in place. Makes it easy to pick what gear I want, pick the appropriate size bag, drop the gear in and run.

Post Thanks / Like

That's an excellent idea. You touched on a point that is very important to me - I want my gear very accessible and putting it in a Pelican impacts the accessibility IMHO.
    Canon 5D3, 17 TS-E, 24 TS-E II, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 90 TS-E, 100 Macro IS, 135/2, 200/2, 300/4 IS, 16-24/4 IS, 20-35/2.8, 24-105/4 IS, 420EX, 600EX-RT

Post Thanks / Like

I keep my camera and lens in pelican style hard case. Its water proof, moisture proof and it keeps all the dust and other crap away Also with pluck able material u can customize it to fit your lenses and body.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got two new bags from manfrotto. A roller for my S2 + 35mm, 70mm, 120mm flash and a large messenger for my M9, 50Nocti, 35Cron, 35Lux, 50lux, mini tripod. MacBookPro 15 and iPad.

I love these bags. Amazing looking as well..

Pro VII Roller - For the S2++ http://www.manfrotto.com/product/861...I_Roller_Black

Pro VII Messenger - For the M9++ http://www.manfrotto.com/product/861...essenger_Black

| Leica M9 | 35mm Summilux ASPH | 50mm Summilux ASPH | 50mm Noctilux ASPH | 75mm Summicron ASPH |
    | Leica S2-P | Grip | 35mm Summarit ASPH | 70mm Summarit ASPH | 120mm Summarit ASPH|

Post Thanks / Like

I think Godfrey has hit the nail on the head, 'airflow'. Obviously not dusty air, but only keep cameras or lenses in bags that are at the very least kept unzipped. Best of all are drawers or shelves. Plenty of space to look at what you've got and where it is. It might also encourage you to use, or sell, things you are constantly looking at instead of having them hidden away in bags.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Shelves in a closet for me with a silica gel dessicant sitting there too just to keep things dry. If the OP wants, I have room for his gear too. I will keep in safe except for when it just has to be used.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

imk

If you are talking not about taking all your gear on the road, but real storage, then the best way is definitely dry cabinet with controlled humidity, like this one http://www.xdry.com/dry-cabinet/desiccator-cs-101ss.asp

wj.imhere

thank you for the information

cheers

Post Thanks / Like

I do a similar thing to Godfrey. Three different bags all ready to go and pre-loaded with lens cloths etc, and then I take the appropriate body and lenses out of a desk drawer when I know where I am going.

Airflow is important, particularly in humid or wet countries, and I can't see a sealed bag/case as being a good idea.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i use an old wooden wine crate

(it was a gorgeous Margaux)

Post Thanks / Like

Sealed bags is fine in a humid environment as long as you have dessicant in the bag and keep an eye on the humidity (hygrometer).

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use a safe. Makes me feel better. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    i use an old wooden wine crate

(it was a gorgeous Margaux)
    That's the one - of course it had to be Margaux!

. . . . I have a glass fronted cupboard . . but they tend to be scattered around the dresser in the kitchen.

Just this guy you know