The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9-P $7995

D&A

I think people care about the screen resolution to check focus at times in the field and to preview the capture. No good reason for the M9 (or any pro-spec level camera) to have that low of screen resolution. My D-Lux 4 that was 1/10 the price has a larger and better screen and I think that's what bothers some people about the screen.
No doubt the styling, especially with a chrome top is very attractive, but I personally don't think a approx. $2000.00 amount to change over from an M9 to a M9-P is worth basically a Sapphire screen. The Giottos screen protector isn't as nice but does a very good job in protecting the LCD.

I too am a bit surprised that they didn't increase the resolution of the LCD screen. Thats something thats been pretty standard with most DSLR's and would have been a relative simple addition to this new camera for little cost. If they did that (with all else that is changed)...I bet a lot more Current M9 owners would switch and potential new buyers would pick the M9-P over the M9 when purchasing one of the two cameras.

One bit of curiosity...they keep saying the top plate is available in black paint or chrome finish...but I found it funny they say nothing about the bottom plate. Why not just say the camera is available in two different finishes, rather than the "top plate"?

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

thrice

I must calm down and remember we only have about 2 years until the M10 (I assume) and Leica aren't idiots, they'll keep the core functionality/styling of the M series, and hopefully offer a chrome version. *breathes into a paper bag*.

sirimiri

I must calm down and remember we only have about 2 years until the M10 (I assume) and Leica aren't idiots, they'll keep the core functionality/styling of the M series, and hopefully offer a chrome version. *breathes into a paper bag*.
But, if you go "dotless", isn't it a bit counter-intuitive, to get a "pimp my ride" chrome version? Not that chrome is gaudy per se, but it's certainly more attention-grabbing than a black body.

Or is it really the white "M9" label that illustrates the fact that one is toting an eight to seven kilo (USD) camera body?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Here's a prediction - the M9-P will be sold out for the foreseeable future.

Say what you will about Leica, their pricing, minimal upgrades and the supposed disconnect with "real photographers" (whoever they're supposed to be), they do seem to understand customer demand for their products regardless of price.

charlesphoto

I really don't think Leica are going after an "upgrading" clientele with this camera, rather those who haven't purchased yet or those who might be after a second body such as myself. I was thinking used, but since the warranty is almost out on my current one, I will probably end up with a P (chrome?) which will not only give me the "upgrades" but also two more years of warranty. Sure I could just get a new original M9 and save a thousand bucks but how much fun is that? :p

D&A

Here's a prediction - the M9-P will be sold out for the foreseeable future.

Say what you will about Leica, their pricing, minimal upgrades and the supposed disconnect with "real photographers" (whoever they're supposed to be), they do seem to understand customer demand for their products regardless of price.
I agree with this prediction but mostly for the chrome M9-P. I think that is the one that will have the majority of upgraders going for.

Hmmm...maybe they've learned that as different as the gray M9 was, it will be the last time they use that color...so that in 25 years, due to becomes an almost instant classic, it will be worth 10x it's initial cost. (wishful thinking on my part) :)

Dave (D&A)

thrice

But, if you go "dotless", isn't it a bit counter-intuitive, to get a "pimp my ride" chrome version? Not that chrome is gaudy per se, but it's certainly more attention-grabbing than a black body.

Or is it really the white "M9" label that illustrates the fact that one is toting an eight to seven kilo (USD) camera body?
All except 1 of my lenses is silver. I'm not a 'street' shooter and I like pretty things :p

Last edited:

iiiNelson

No doubt the styling, especially with a chrome top is very attractive, but I personally don't think a approx. $2000.00 amount to change over from an M9 to a M9-P is worth basically a Sapphire screen. The Giottos screen protector isn't as nice but does a very good job in protecting the LCD.

I too am a bit surprised that they didn't increase the resolution of the LCD screen. Thats something thats been pretty standard with most DSLR's and would have been a relative simple addition to this new camera for little cost. If they did that (with all else that is changed)...I bet a lot more Current M9 owners would switch and potential new buyers would pick the M9-P over the M9 when purchasing one of the two cameras.

One bit of curiosity...they keep saying the top plate is available in black paint or chrome finish...but I found it funny they say nothing about the bottom plate. Why not just say the camera is available in two different finishes, rather than the "top plate"?

Dave (D&A)
I agree with you. I don't think I would go for a M9-P unless the price was really tempting. I bought my M9 at a substantially reduced price and I would sooner add another if I had to pay full retail for a M9-P. That black one is so tempting for a low-key shooter. I prefer the darker steel gray over the bright chrome one personally as well. Both are attractive all around though.

jonoslack

All except 1 of my lenses is silver. I'm not a 'street' shooter and I like pretty things :p
I'm with you there Daniel . . . . I have black lenses because of the weight, but the original M9 is hardly 'in your face' anyway!

I've put my M9 where my mouth is though - let's see if anyone is going to take me up on it!

all the best

emr

I've put my M9 where my mouth is though - let's see if anyone is going to take me up on it!

I agree that the new Leica is a beautiful camera - like all the Leica rangefinders are. But seriously, are you guys planning to pay thousands for a cosmetic update?

Paratom

I really coudnt see me to pay any upgrade price for going from M9 to M9p, and specially after the M9 has been on the market for some years now.
I put one of those acryl-glass protectors on my M9 and thats all I need in regards of display protection.

In film times, when using a camera for many many years I might have paid that premium. But in digital age where we mostly use a camera for 4 years until we get replacement I am not ready to spend additional money.
And dont tell me that the M9 will be still as good as today even when the M10 appears. Of course it will but also of course we still will want to have the M10.

jonoslack

I agree that the new Leica is a beautiful camera - like all the Leica rangefinders are. But seriously, are you guys planning to pay thousands for a cosmetic update?
Thousands - no, something - yes - it's something I use every day . . . got a problem? Surely not!

I change my car every couple of years as well!

D&A

I might get rocks throw at me for this suggestion....but what I would have thought might have been interesting, attaractive and actually unique and useful, was to build the M9-P with the typical MP style film advance lever where the M9-P incorporates the option of silent recocking of the shutter by use of the lever. A menu/switch setting would still allow (and incorporate) the usual M8/M9 single shot & continuous mode ala M8/M9...but the choice of silently recocking of the shutter via the styled film advance lever, would have brought the styling cues closer to the MP and actually would have been a very useful addition to the M9-P. As a consequence, it would have also had a sort of built in "thumbs up" that actually had a function.

When I first heard of the M9-P, I thought they were going to go this route and truly distinguish the M9-P from the M9.

Dave (D&A)

iiiNelson

Yeah the Black Dot is only like a $20 "upgrade." I'm still undecided. I guess it depends on how much a M9-P is actually going for on the street versus MSRP. If it remains a $800-1000 price jump above what one can get a M9 for on the street then I may bite.