The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9-P $7995

D&A

Hey, it worked for the R-D1.
It did and I (and I suspect some others) wished it was incorporated on the original M8 when first released. Instead of the pesdo "silent" (descrete) mode we now have with the M8.2/M9, it truly would incorporate a real dual function. 1) A real silent mode where the shutter could be cocked quietly for one or more shots, exactly like a film Leica and 2) a place to rest out thumb as many do with their thumbs up. Combine this with "real" styling cue differences from the current M9 (and looking even more like a film MP with the MP style film advanace lever) and it's new sapphire screen, and many more would think the $1000.00+ upgrade would be well worth it.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Paratom

It did and I (and I suspect some others) wished it was incorporated on the original M8 when first released. Instead of the pesdo "silent" (descrete) mode we now have with the M8.2/M9, it truly would incorporate a real dual function. 1) A real silent mode where the shutter could be cocked quietly for one or more shots, exactly like a film Leica and 2) a place to rest out thumb as many do with their thumbs up. Combine this with "real" styling cue differences from the current M9 (and looking even more like a film MP with the MP style film advanace lever) and it's new sapphire screen, and many more would think the $1000.00+ upgrade would be well worth it.

Dave (D&A)
I also really like the manual cock of the RD1 but on the other side the m8 and the M9 even more have better IQ, a more reliable rangefinder, much more flexibility regarding frames in the viewfinder. Therefore for me the M8 (and now M9) was overall a clear step forward.

D&A

I also really like the manual cock of the RD1 but on the other side the m8 and the M9 even more have better IQ, a more reliable rangefinder, much more flexibility regarding frames in the viewfinder. Therefore for me the M8 (and now M9) was overall a clear step forward.
I'm certainly glad of the advancements made since the days of the RD-1. What I am suggesting though is to keep the M9 as it is...BUT offer the new M9-P with not only the changes announced for the camera, but also include the "film" advanced lever in order to re-cock the M9-P shutter allowing a true silent mode for those that deem it important for their style of shooting. This way not only is there some real disinguishing and functional features between the M9 & M9-P bodies, but people just purchasing their 1st M9 (or M9-P) have a real choice between two differently priced products in the M9 line. Something tells me Leica prefered to only make changes this time around, that simply don't require a redesign of any internal parts of the camera, yet result in a fairly heafty price increase. This is somewaht different when compared to the changes they made in going from the M8 to M8.2.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Paratom

I'm certainly glad of the advancements made since the days of the RD-1. What I am suggesting though is to keep the M9 as it is...BUT offer the new M9-P with not only the changes announced for the camera, but also include the "film" advanced lever in order to re-cock the M9-P shutter allowing a true silent mode for those that deem it important for their style of shooting. This way not only is there some real disinguishing and functional features between the M9 & M9-P bodies, but people just purchasing their 1st M9 (or M9-P) have a real choice between two differently priced products in the M9 line. Something tells me Leica prefered to only make changes this time around, that simply don't require a redesign of any internal parts of the camera, yet result in a fairly heafty price increase. This is somewaht different when compared to the changes they made in going from the M8 to M8.2.

Dave (D&A)
I m with you Dave.

jonoslack

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave
I very much doubt they were making the M8.2 and the M8 at the same time - because of the changes (I would guess that they were simply selling the rest of the M8 stock).

In this case (M9/M9p) they can make both cameras on the same production line . . . . . and there lies the crunch - anything other than superficial differences would require another production line (or making the previous model redundant). It's taken almost 2 years to catch up with M9 demands, I would imagine that having two lines of M camera is just too much from a manufacturing point of view.

all the best

kalex

Leica is very Apple like. Both release minor refresh and call it "magical" and rip off their customers in the process. There was no reason other than pure money making scheme not to include these changes in the original M9 but just as Apple did Leica decided to hold of and introduce M9P edition.

With recent lunatic increases in leica lens prices I would guess that around 90% of photographers won't be able to afford this but then again it will gladly be bought by "collectors" :)

seakayaker

Leica is very Apple like. Both release minor refresh and call it "magical" and rip off their customers in the process.
. . . . . better 'Apple like' then 'Microsoft like' where previous versions quickly become obsolete and not supported. . . . . . and deliver feature/fuctionality that no one wants to begin with . . . . . JMHO . . . . .

kavalliano

This release is some kind of marketing strategy, a way that I think all big companies must do to attract the attention of customers and the public not to forget them LOL... Just touch the M9-P two days ago. Only black version, any body had the chrome one. First feeling is the same design of the old MP black paint/chrome in a bigger body. Really beautiful but IMO still prefer the original one. In this case the price is not something extraordinary. Leicaman who have money and want an upgrade to an ultimate M9 body with saphire LCD willing to pay more 500Eur. Still better than you upgrade from M8 to M8.2 with the same body and need to pay 1200 EUR. But for now it is better to get a used M9 at a very good price. I still love the one with the red dot. :))