The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica to launch new compact camera

dhsimmonds

The British Journal of Photography have reported on a recent Leica news conference announcing that a new APS-C sensor, interchangeable lens camera with electronic viewfinder is to be shown at the next Photokina.

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2080688/leica-launch-compact-2012

I have also read that Dr Kaufmann (chairman) has also agreed to purchase the Leica magazine LFI.

With all the other recent developments especially on VF design, the next Photokina could be very interesting.

jonoslack

Hi Dave
This has been mentioned on another thread, but I agree it's worth a thread of it's own.
I think it said that the sensor would be at least APSc sized.
We shall see - only 15 months to wait! :sleep006::sleep006:

dhsimmonds

The key to the success of this camera will of course be the viewfinder and if AF or not.

The VF because of the stated "electronic VF" by Leica and AF/MF because if AF it will open up more of a market for Leica, but the option to MF will demand an excellent viewfinder!

As you say, far too early to speculate "but hope springs eternal"! :rolleyes:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sounds actually interesting. I hope they do a radical new design in this area, similar as they did with the S System.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Maybe we will finally see the R lens solution as part of this new system :rolleyes:
The R lens solution would definitely not hurt, but I actually hope for a complete new and leading edge design.

Think hybrid VF, no AA filter, high resolution, maybe even a new sensor format between 43, APSC and FF - who knows ....

jonoslack

The R lens solution would definitely not hurt, but I actually hope for a complete new and leading edge design.

Think hybrid VF, no AA filter, high resolution, maybe even a new sensor format between 43, APSC and FF - who knows ....
Hi Peter
Thinking is fun . . . but I suspect that a hybrid viewfinder for anything other than a fixed focal length lens is really too much to ask - high resolution and no aa filter is another thing - I'm dreaming of that new Sony 24mp APSc sensor which is due to appear in the A77 and A65 . . .

As you say - a completely new solution - but presumably adaptors for both M mount and R mount would be perfectly possible.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Peter
Thinking is fun . . . but I suspect that a hybrid viewfinder for anything other than a fixed focal length lens is really too much to ask - high resolution and no aa filter is another thing - I'm dreaming of that new Sony 24mp APSc sensor which is due to appear in the A77 and A65 . . .

As you say - a completely new solution - but presumably adaptors for both M mount and R mount would be perfectly possible.
Would make sense. Actually that new Sony sensor would be great! Also adaptability for M lenses (fro me, as I sold all my R glass). Actually then a FF sensor would be a killer thing.

peterv

Actually that new Sony sensor would be great!
Hi Peter,

I share your enthusiasm for the upcoming Sony sensor, but by the time this new Leica lies on the shelves this sensor will be at least 1.5 year old.
I hope Leica will not be that far 'behind' the curve with this camera.

E

enenrf

I am wondering if the M lens can be adapted on the new "X serious" .

Godfrey

it's way too early to know for sure what Leica has in mind, but I suspect it will be a complete new mount and lens line like the S2 was. That said, it is pretty easy to allow for use of M or R series lenses ... just make the mount register 25mm or shorter and a simple adapter for both M and R lenses is a piece of cake with a LIVE camera.

presuming they'll stick to their guns and keep the ergonomics and control interface minimalistic and useful (like the M or X1), and presuming they use a good sensor and make the camera responsive, the only question mark really is the nature and quality of the viewfinder and focusing system. I have to believe the (new) mount will be an autofocus lens mount with electronic control of the aperture and focus ... doesn't make sense otherwise ... so two issues are whether an up to snuff EVF is integrated in the camera and exactly how well does manual focusing work with both new AF lenses and with adapted manual lenses. Olympus and Panasonic have done a very good job with servo-driven manual focus lenses, Ricoh less so.

I have to hope that Leica will do a good job of it ... the Macro-Elmarit-D-G 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS is the best lens in Micro-FourThirds with respect to manual focusing feel and responsiveness, right on par with manual helicoid lenses in almost all respects, so it is certainly possible to do a good job with the right design and components.