The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nocton 35 - Which One?

I am toying with going for either the 1.2 or 1.4 (not ready to sell my car for the Leica equivalents :). I have seen mixed posts about the 1.2 and infinity focus. Some say it can't and others say you get resistance but it does focus. Not thrilled about forcing the focus ring even if it does but would love the extra stop. That being said if the 1.4 is a great alternative I would go for that. Opinions from the experts here are appreciated. thnx

Bob Parsons

All recent 35/1.2 lenses should have the modified shroud and focus OK on the M8. The new shrouds can be retrofitted to older lenses. Mine was an early lens and I had to machine the shroud myself, that was before the modification became available.

The problem was due to two protective "wings" at the rear of the lens. If the M8 sensor chamber is truly central with the bayonet mount then the wings do not foul the edges of the chamber. If the chamber is offset due to M8 assembly tolerances then one side or the other can foul a wing. The back of the modified shroud is machined to have a slightly reduced diameter.

If you don't mind the bulk of the lens its performance at full aperture is excellent and it's very flare resistant. On my sample focus shifts very little as the lens is stopped down. The alternative 35/1.4 is much smaller but has had mixed reviews due to focus shift.

www.reidreviews.com has excellent reviews on both lenses. It's a fee paying site but well worth the subscription in my opinion. The 35/1.4 is a separate review and the 35/1.2 is included in 35mm RF Lenses.

Bob.

scott kirkpatrick

Read Reid for the full details, and the facts behind this, but there were earlier threads here on the VC 35/1.4 when it first came out. (And a vigorous discussion on RFF.) It is very small, but the field of focus is not flat (edges are sharp at a different distance from the image than the center is sharp), and there is significant focus shift as you stop down, so it is hard to get things sharp where you want them at f/4. The VC 35/1.2 is very large, but those who use it seem to love it.

scott

irakly

i have not seen the 1.4/35 in action, but i would not recommend the 1.2/35. it is an excellent lens from 2.8 and up, but wide open... ewww. for 2.8 i'd rather get a glowing 2.8/35 summaron.

woodyspedden

I am fortunate to have one of the best 35 1.4's according to Sean Reids testing. However I still must say that shooting this lens wide open is a bit difficult and maintaining critical focus when stopping down is even more difficult.

However, having said all of that, once you learn the idiosyncrasies of this lens, and compare the performance to the ridiculously expensive Leica 35 Lux, there is much to be said for it.

I also have the Nokton 35 1.2 and frankly I love it. Not your perfect lens to be sure, and big as hell!!!!!, but you can get some spectacular results with it. I look at this lens as I look at the Noctilux.............an esoteric beast with many faults but also with opportunities abounding. Love them or hate them but there are no substitutes as I see it.

Woody