The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinion on CV and/or Zeiss M lenses requested pls

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I will just echo that the Zeiss 25 f/2.8 is superb. Having said that I sold mine in favor of a Summilux 24 which is a different look and truly superb - but at 6 times the cost of the Zeiss.

Godfrey

I've tried two of the Ultron 28mm and both had focus shift as the lens was stopped down. I think they all have it and depending on focus calibration you might not always notice it as much. However, if you are focusing with live-view at the shooting aperture then you'll automatically compensate for any focus shift.
That was my thought as well.

Ricoh is rumored to be implementing focus confirmation with the "Camera Module A12" and it looks like it's based on the CDAF focus detection system ... in the available photos and videos of the camera module there is no sign of a mechanical focusing cam connection. Since there's also no mechanical or electronic linkage to the aperture mechanism possible with Leica M lenses, it has to work at taking aperture and optical focus shift is irrelevant.

more thoughts

I guess I'll have to worry about focus shift with the Ultron 28/2 if/when I acquire an M body. Or look for a good clean Ultron 28/1.9 instead.. they seem to be a bit difficult to find. I'm assuming the focus shift is from stopping down. HiredArm, how much focus shift with this lens did you see on the one(s) you had?

And Dan, thanks for commenting on the Color Heliar 75/2.5. That's another lens that's been on my short-list for several years, just waiting for the opportunity to put one to good use.

Last edited:

seakayaker

I was told the 28/1.9 doesn't have this problem and is slightly better at flare reduction but I have no experience with this personally to verify. Oh and the 75/2.5 Color Skopar is supposed to be a "steal" in a M compatible lens no matter the cost.
Both the 28/1.9 Ulton ASPH and 75/2.5 Color Heliar (not Skopar) are fabulous Voightlander lenses. No focus shift and produce wonderful photographs. Sean Reid speaks highly of both of these lens in his reviews.

I have the 28/1.9 but sold my copy of the 75/2.5 to raise funds for another purchase. I do plan on replacing it some day, it is a sweet little lens.

iiiNelson

Both the 28/1.9 Ulton ASPH and 75/2.5 Color Heliar (not Skopar) are fabulous Voightlander lenses. No focus shift and produce wonderful photographs. Sean Reid speaks highly of both of these lens in his reviews.

I have the 28/1.9 but sold my copy of the 75/2.5 to raise funds for another purchase. I do plan on replacing it some day, it is a sweet little lens.
My mistake you are correct in the Heliar name. He spoke highly of the Ultron as well. I shot it wide open almost all the time, Again 28mm is not my cup of tea on FF.

The Ultron, like many CV lenses, has a great "classic" signature on black & white photos IMO.

250swb

Focus shift with the f2 28mm Ultron is a characteristic of the lens and nothing to do with sample variations. The f1.9 version however is much better.

I had the f2 with my M9 for a few weeks but the focus shift drove me up the wall, eventually biting the bullet and getting a 28mm Summicron. Otherwise the Ultron is a really nice lens, sharp, good OOF areas, and I liked the contrast it gave. Its a good lens if you photograph things that don't need to be accurately focused, which may sound an odd thing to say, but like if you are stopping down for landscape, or photographing groups of people without any one focal point, its a lens that can handle it. But try for that vase of flowers from f2.8 to f8 and you will be chimping away wondering where the correct focus point is. It may be a better lens to use with film in this respect as the latitude for focus inaccuracy is greater than a sensor.

On the other hand the 75mm Heliar f2.8 is one of the great lenses for an M camera and a massive bargain. It would still be good value if the same price as a 75mm Summarit.

Steve

Last edited: