Site Sponsors

Thread: Opinion on CV and/or Zeiss M lenses requested pls

Post Thanks / Like

Opinion on CV and/or Zeiss M lenses requested pls

Hi all

Im looking to grab a wider angled lens for some summer vacation trips I'll be taking ( Prince Edward Island , and then Gros Morne national park in Newfoundland)

I have contacted some members already and they suggest that a good pair of lenses for me to look at are:

CV 28 mm f/3.5, or the the Zeiss 25 mm f/2.8 Biogon

does anyone else have anything to suggest of offer for advice?

I would love to grab a Leica lens, but so far I havent spent that much on lenses and have some decent gear already ( 1964 cron 50, 1958 elmar 90 and a 1974 Elmarit 135)

I know trying to do the "leica experience" on a budget is almost impossible , but Ill try my best! my fallback is my Super MC takumar 28/3.5 on my Pentax KX, but using that setup after the M8 and lenses it feels like going from a Porsche 959 to a honda civic

thanks in advance everyone

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinion on CV and/or Zeiss M lenses requested pls

+1 for the Zeiss
    -- Joe

http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/ - excuse the mess

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Robert,
    Just sent you a PM via Flickr...with a few other suggestions. I think that given price factor, my prior suggestions will take you far...look hard and long at that Zeiss 25. It's amazing on the M8...

Here's a sample from that lens (25 biogon wide open, on the M8):

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

The 25mm ZM is ridiculous I have a mint one for sale. I'm only selling because I am forced to simplify my kit and I use the 18mm more.

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel, how much you are an excellent salesman

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll highly recommend the CV 28/3,5 on Leica M8.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Daniel, those are AMAZING.

As for the 28 elmarit pre-asph, Robert, you should look for the last pre-aspherical design, with a 46 mm filter thread....

While this is not art, especially considering Dan's marvelous work, it gives you an idea of what the lens is capable of...a lovely elmarit look...

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

The VC 28 3.5 is a surprisingly good lens, extremely compact, so a great street shooter on a M8.

Mine has not been coded, and would be a good idea as the corners show some light fall off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The ZM 25 is a phenomenal lens. Great color, extremely sharp, and an emphatic but not over-the-top rendering style. My most-used non-Leica lens.

Last edited by MPK2010; 29th June 2011 at 19:29.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can swing the 25/2.8 from Daniel, I would not hesitate, a wonderful lens . . . . .

If it is a bit out of reach then I would also suggest the VC 28/1.9.

I love this lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the ZM 25/2.8.

I also love the 50/2 Planar if you're looking for a modern normal lens.

I've seen some really good results with the ZM 21/2.8 if you want something a bit wider. I owned the CV 28/2 and if you get a good copy it's a capable faster lens with a semi classical signature. I really liked it for black and white photos but I kinda "hate" 28mm focal lengths for what I do. It was either not quite wide enough or not quite close enough for me. WhenI wanted wide I needed wide (18-25mm) and when I wanted the narrow side of wide 35mm worked for me.

With that said I should update my signature.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Robert, I have it listed in the for sale section with the original Zeiss finder (best finder I've ever looked through!).

Post Thanks / Like

Also +1 for the ZM 25/2.8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
    Also +1 for the ZM 25/2.8
    And another +1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen exquisite work with both the Zeiss and CV lenses. I'm going for the pair of Ultron 28/2 and Skopar 50/2.5 for the Ricoh GXR + A12 M-lens module (due in a month or two) based on what I've seen of their rendering qualities and sharpness, as well as price. Although I'm Tempted by the 28/3.5 due to the size and weight ... But I think the speed wins for me in this focal length.

If/when I go for M8 or M9, I'll add a 75mm but which one I am not sure of yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    The 25mm ZM is ridiculous I have a mint one for sale. I'm only selling because I am forced to simplify my kit and I use the 18mm more.
    Blimey why doesn't mine take images like that?! fantastic stuff!

Mike

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better lens than the 2,8/25 Biogon ZM - even Zeiss is proud of this one, and justifiably so. Distortion and flare free, stupid sharp, lovely in every measurable aspect. I love mine to death. Bar-none, it was my favorite lens on the M8. Worked very well with the VF too.

Post Thanks / Like

Ill have to see what my birthday brings next week, I was trying to get assigned a different job at work and was denied, so my *present* to myself may have to wait.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I've seen exquisite work with both the Zeiss and CV lenses. I'm going for the pair of Ultron 28/2 and Skopar 50/2.5 for the Ricoh GXR + A12 M-lens module (due in a month or two) based on what I've seen of their rendering qualities and sharpness, as well as price. Although I'm Tempted by the 28/3.5 due to the size and weight ... But I think the speed wins for me in this focal length.

If/when I go for M8 or M9, I'll add a 75mm but which one I am not sure of yet.
    I don't know that it will matter with the GXR but if you do go 28/2 Ultron be sure you check that you got a great copy of it as I hear there are some that can exhibit slight focus shift. I had a great copy that wasn't noticibly affected (that I sold because 28 wasn't for me on FF cameras.) Just letting you know to make sure that yours doesn't exhibit potential focus shift.

I was told the 28/1.9 doesn't have this problem and is slightly better at flare reduction but I have no experience with this personally to verify. Oh and the 75/2.5 Color Skopar is supposed to be a "steal" in a M compatible lens no matter the cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've tried two of the Ultron 28mm and both had focus shift as the lens was stopped down. I think they all have it and depending on focus calibration you might not always notice it as much. However, if you are focusing with live-view at the shooting aperture then you'll automatically compensate for any focus shift.

-Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

I will just echo that the Zeiss 25 f/2.8 is superb. Having said that I sold mine in favor of a Summilux 24 which is a different look and truly superb - but at 6 times the cost of the Zeiss.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trisberg View Post
    I've tried two of the Ultron 28mm and both had focus shift as the lens was stopped down. I think they all have it and depending on focus calibration you might not always notice it as much. However, if you are focusing with live-view at the shooting aperture then you'll automatically compensate for any focus shift.
    That was my thought as well.

Ricoh is rumored to be implementing focus confirmation with the "Camera Module A12" and it looks like it's based on the CDAF focus detection system ... in the available photos and videos of the camera module there is no sign of a mechanical focusing cam connection. Since there's also no mechanical or electronic linkage to the aperture mechanism possible with Leica M lenses, it has to work at taking aperture and optical focus shift is irrelevant.

more thoughts

I guess I'll have to worry about focus shift with the Ultron 28/2 if/when I acquire an M body. Or look for a good clean Ultron 28/1.9 instead.. they seem to be a bit difficult to find. I'm assuming the focus shift is from stopping down. HiredArm, how much focus shift with this lens did you see on the one(s) you had?

And Dan, thanks for commenting on the Color Heliar 75/2.5. That's another lens that's been on my short-list for several years, just waiting for the opportunity to put one to good use.
    Last edited by Godfrey; 1st July 2011 at 10:55.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I was told the 28/1.9 doesn't have this problem and is slightly better at flare reduction but I have no experience with this personally to verify. Oh and the 75/2.5 Color Skopar is supposed to be a "steal" in a M compatible lens no matter the cost.
    Both the 28/1.9 Ulton ASPH and 75/2.5 Color Heliar (not Skopar) are fabulous Voightlander lenses. No focus shift and produce wonderful photographs. Sean Reid speaks highly of both of these lens in his reviews.

I have the 28/1.9 but sold my copy of the 75/2.5 to raise funds for another purchase. I do plan on replacing it some day, it is a sweet little lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    Both the 28/1.9 Ulton ASPH and 75/2.5 Color Heliar (not Skopar) are fabulous Voightlander lenses. No focus shift and produce wonderful photographs. Sean Reid speaks highly of both of these lens in his reviews.

I have the 28/1.9 but sold my copy of the 75/2.5 to raise funds for another purchase. I do plan on replacing it some day, it is a sweet little lens.
    My mistake you are correct in the Heliar name. He spoke highly of the Ultron as well. I shot it wide open almost all the time, Again 28mm is not my cup of tea on FF.

The Ultron, like many CV lenses, has a great "classic" signature on black & white photos IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Focus shift with the f2 28mm Ultron is a characteristic of the lens and nothing to do with sample variations. The f1.9 version however is much better.

I had the f2 with my M9 for a few weeks but the focus shift drove me up the wall, eventually biting the bullet and getting a 28mm Summicron. Otherwise the Ultron is a really nice lens, sharp, good OOF areas, and I liked the contrast it gave. Its a good lens if you photograph things that don't need to be accurately focused, which may sound an odd thing to say, but like if you are stopping down for landscape, or photographing groups of people without any one focal point, its a lens that can handle it. But try for that vase of flowers from f2.8 to f8 and you will be chimping away wondering where the correct focus point is. It may be a better lens to use with film in this respect as the latitude for focus inaccuracy is greater than a sensor.

On the other hand the 75mm Heliar f2.8 is one of the great lenses for an M camera and a massive bargain. It would still be good value if the same price as a 75mm Summarit.

Steve
    Last edited by 250swb; 2nd July 2011 at 00:32. Reason: spelling, but I may not have nailed all of them

Senior Member Ron (Netherlands)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I recommend the 25mm Biogon: as no other it has superb resolution in combination with spectacular colorrendering

Leica: IIa sync conversion, M6 TTL Millenium, Fuji X-E1;
    My Flickr