The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nodal point on S2 lenses

GMB

I think Marc mentioned in another thread that the nodal point (=entrance pupil) is marked somewhere on the S2 lenses. I can't find it. I only know that the manual mentions the entrance pupil is mentioned in the manual.

Georg

fotografz

I think Marc mentioned in another thread that the nodal point (=entrance pupil) is marked somewhere on the S2 lenses. I can't find it. I only know that the manual mentions the entrance pupil is mentioned in the manual.

Georg
My bad, I could have sworn they were there ... but I just checked.

In fact I don't have a clue where I got that from ... :eek:

-Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I did a search this past weekend and found nothing...not in the lens data on
the Leica site.

My suggestion would be to mount lens and slew...looking for nodal point as a last resort if nothing else pans out.

Bob

GMB

My bad, I could have sworn they were there ... but I just checked.

In fact I don't have a clue where I got that from ... :eek:

-Marc
What a relief! I thought I was too stupid to find them :bugeyes:

Since Leica gives the entrance pupil in the manual, I think I will simply put a small red dot where that is. Should be sufficient.

Georg

fotografz

Honestly, it must have been the drugs I've been taking for a herniated disk, and I dreamed it in my stupor. My wife has taken to calling me "Stupor Man"

BUT, I swear I have some lens somewhere that has the nodal point marked on the lens barrel with a circle and line through it ... or the drugs are more powerful than I think they are ... LOL!

-Marc

Paratom

Honestly, it must have been the drugs I've been taking for a herniated disk, and I dreamed it in my stupor. My wife has taken to calling me "Stupor Man"

BUT, I swear I have some lens somewhere that has the nodal point marked on the lens barrel with a circle and line through it ... or the drugs are more powerful than I think they are ... LOL!

-Marc
Marc, I seem to remember something similar. I will check tonight.
Tom

ddanois

I know that this is an old thread but has anyone resolved this question?

I've been trying some panoramic shots and it would be nice to know if there is a marked nodal point on the S lenses.

Thanks,

Derek

Stuart Richardson

The circle with the line through it was on the bodies of the M cameras at least, and it indicated where the film plane was, not the nodal point of the lenses. Maybe that is the source of the confusion? I see it on the M6, but not on the MP, M9 or S2...

baudolino

I always thought that the nodal point was in fact marked in the lens scheme graphics that you can find on the Leica website. For each lens, you can see the elements and two short lines running in right angle to the lens axis. In each lens scheme, the lines are shown in a different place. Anyway, in practice I have always positioned the camera on the sliding rail so that the middle of the lens was approximately over the axis of the tripod head - I haven't had any problems stitching panoramas made this way but, admittedly, my panoramas tend to be mostly landscapes, therefore close to or at infinity. It is my understanding that you need to hit the nodal point accurately if you shoot panoramas that include objects located at closer distances.

thrice

If you stop the lens down 1 stop and look from the front you can see the entrance pupil, that is your nodal point. This apparent location of the diaphragm differs from the mechanical location of the diaphragm which is not your nodal point.

I'll see if I can get the actual nodal point locations.

Leigh

For each lens, you can see the elements and two short lines running in right angle to the lens axis.
In each lens scheme, the lines are shown in a different place.
The lines are the first and second principle planes, H and H', which run through the nodal points, perpendicular to the lens axis.

It is my understanding that you need to hit the nodal point accurately if you shoot panoramas that include objects located at closer distances.
The positions of the nodal points do not change with focus (for prime lenses). They're fixed by the lens design.

The most "accurate" multi-image rendering is achieved by rotating the camera around the axis through the first node.

- Leigh