Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Leica Noctilux 0.95 Unplugged

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica Noctilux 0.95 Unplugged

Exactly what I was thinking, Kristian....your shots are some of the best that I have ever seen. And there are plenty of 0.95 magicians hanging around these parts.

A warm welcome back to our buddy Jerry, by the way!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
    Wow, well for me the first shot really emphasizes the Noct 0.95's ability to isolate but yet keep everything else looking undistorted in out of focus, if that makes any sense!?

Nice work and I encourage others to help make this the best Noctilux 0.95 thread around
    I would help Krisyain but....first I have to find a 0.95 Noct to purchase or trade for. Anyone want to help out?

Ashwin, You've posted a very inspiring and diverse set of images from the 0.95 Noct...and extremely effective use of it! They are images I keep coming back to, much like Kristian's. Yours and Kristians images in somewhat different ways, clearly delineate the unique characteristics and advantages to using such a lens.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, well for me the first shot really emphasizes the Noct 0.95's ability to isolate but yet keep everything else looking undistorted in out of focus, if that makes any sense!?

Nice work and I encourage others to help make this the best Noctilux 0.95 thread around
    Yes Ashwin - great shots all of them, and very indicative of the possibilities.

If this is going to be the Noctilux thread, I thought that, rather than reposting the shots from the other thread, I should make a link to a small web page I put up with some noctilux shots:

Mystery and Imagination with the 0.95 Noctilux

Enjoy!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Magical lens plus talent equals wonderful photos... this thread establishes that beyond a doubt. Jono, you inspired me to take the Noct for a walk in the woods yesterday (it was 100 degrees and humid). Didn't get much in the way of winners but I did learn a few things and I lost a few pounds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking, Kristian....your shots are some of the best that I have ever seen. And there are plenty of 0.95 magicians hanging around these parts.

A warm welcome back to our buddy Jerry, by the way!
    Thanks Ashwin!

I've been MIA because I've been in overdrive to finish school, on top of trying to be a good husband and daddy. Needless to say, it's nuts!

Awesome to see your Noct photos again, always beautiful work!
    Jerry
    Flickr

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    I would help Krisyain but....first I have to find a 0.95 Noct to purchase or trade for
    Exactly, and this thread will not help in that quest at all. Now everyone is going to be trying to score one.

Post Thanks / Like

Just stumbled across this thread while casually looking at the M system. I've always wanted an M camera ever since I very nearly purchased the M6 quite a few years ago (early 1990's ).

I must say the Noctilux is one unusual lens. The OOF areas in some of the pictures posted here look very strange but equally beautiful. It reminds me of the distortion and focus fall off of a tilt lens but with a vertical (as apposted to diagonal) plane of focus.

The OOF areas seem to have a glow about them..... Weird! Is that down to processing/sharpening or is it a trait of this lens?

I love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are a few of mine with the f0.95.

The Noctilux is very much a dream maker ... allowing for an endless amount of creative interpretations on how you want to capture an image, a scene or a moment.

Post Thanks / Like

yes seen some of these before Kurt. Veyr nice. the trees shot is my favourite

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt - I also like the tree shot . . . but I also like the one of the kids in the water.

Here's one from today which I like - patience personified in the face of a persistant puppy:

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Mindblowing work, truly!

Post Thanks / Like

leicashot, I bow to your skills with the .95. respek.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Seattle's Aurora Bridge, bokeh-less.

M9; 50mm f/.95 w/8x ND; 1/180s @ _; ISO 160

Cheer, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

yes seen some of these before Kurt. Veyr nice. the trees shot is my favourite
    Kurt: +1! My favorite, too.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Kurt - I also like the tree shot . . . but I also like the one of the kids in the water.

Here's one from today which I like - patience personified in the face of a persistant puppy:

Jono: Excellent capture! It's interesting to see how little has to be in focus to let you 'read' the image.

Cheers, Matt

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thought I'd try something a little different for my latest studio shoot and give the Noct a workout. Fair amount of pp on these but I can still see the Noct in them. This lens is a bear to focus with just modeling lights... at least for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Thought I'd try something a little different for my latest studio shoot and give the Noct a workout. Fair amount of pp on these but I can still see the Noct in them. This lens is a bear to focus with just modeling lights... at least for me.
    Hi David
    Love the first shot . . . can't see so much of the noct in the second one . . and I don't think I like it as much anyway,

Focusing? I haven't tried with modelling lights, but I don't find low light a problem . . . . but I did with glasses, contacts seem to be the answer.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, I prefer the first shot by a wide margin myself. I took the magnifier off my M9 so that I could see the crop lines and have been working with the diopter only but I think I'm going back to using the mag when I shoot the Noct. I only use glasses for reading so I don't know if contacts are the answer. I asked a friend (he's got good vision) to take a photo of me the other day and handed him my camera...poor guy couldn't see whether anything was in focus

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, I prefer the first shot by a wide margin myself. I took the magnifier off my M9 so that I could see the crop lines and have been working with the diopter only but I think I'm going back to using the mag when I shoot the Noct. I only use glasses for reading so I don't know if contacts are the answer. I asked a friend (he's got good vision) to take a photo of me the other day and handed him my camera...poor guy couldn't see whether anything was in focus
    Well, I found a magnifier to be really counter-productive. Seems to me that the way to get to focus the M9 properly is really just practice, and anything (like a magnifier) which changes things doesn't help (unless you keep it on all the time).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dont know how I missed this thread -some awesome photos on display here - who needs a tech camera and a digi back to use a 5 dergfee upwards tilt to get teh OOF blur away from beautiful eyes - when all you need is a Nocti and step ladder? and maybe a cople of neutral density filters...

food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Kristian,

Really enjoyed the shots--many thanks for sharing. I do have a question for you and it's around the focusing. I rented an M9 for a couple of weeks, because I love the lenses. The problem was I wasn't able to reliably place the focus plane where I needed it. And this was at 1.4. How are you doing it at 0.95?!

I'd appreciate it if you could walk me through your focusing technique.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful shots, but have to ask how you're seeing the Noct in there pictures? Wishful thinking or seeing something I'm not?

If I stopped the Noct fast f/1, I wouldn't be able to tell it from a Nikon picture, to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyGibson View Post
    Kristian,

Really enjoyed the shots--many thanks for sharing. I do have a question for you and it's around the focusing. I rented an M9 for a couple of weeks, because I love the lenses. The problem was I wasn't able to reliably place the focus plane where I needed it. And this was at 1.4. How are you doing it at 0.95?!

I'd appreciate it if you could walk me through your focusing technique.

Thanks,
    It's tricky no doubt so I'm not gonna lie and say it's easy, even after much experience.....but, you NEED NEED NEED the 1.4x magnifier!!!! and my M9 first had a focus issue, not noticeable on other lenses only on the Noct. Once I added the two, my hit rate went from 60% to 85% without focus bracketing.

Also, when you focus and recompose you need to compensate by moving ever so slightly forward or backward, especially at minimum distances.

hope this helps...jetlagged waiting from my plane from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like

Keep adding more pictures guys. I no longer own the Noct so it's up to you to hold the fort and keep this thread 'unplugged!'

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Kristian, as soon as someone will trade their 0.95 Noct. for some of my lenses, I'll be glad to post as many pictures as you'd like to keep this thread going . With the fantastic quality of your shots with the lens, someone somehow should give you one, just so you can post more shots!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Kristian, as soon as someone will trade their 0.95 Noct. for some of my lenses, I'll be glad to post as many pictures as you'd like to keep this thread going . With the fantastic quality of your shots with the lens, someone somehow should give you one, just so you can post more shots!

Dave (D&A)
    Even if I was to find someone so generous I'd rather they sell it and donate the $$$ to someone who really needs it. Or maybe I'd give them a piece of my new company (website) coming soon heheh. I don't 'need' the Noct, and not sure anyone really does. I'll get buy for now

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful shots, but have to ask how you're seeing the Noct in there pictures? Wishful thinking or seeing something I'm not?

If I stopped the Noct fast f/1, I wouldn't be able to tell it from a Nikon picture, to be honest.
    Wishful thinking comes into play more for the model than the shot And since we're both seeing the same shot I doubt that's it either. Probably has more to do with what I usually associate with Leica vs Nikon. Most all of my studio Nikon shots are crisp and sharp... since that's what the models are looking for in their ports. Pretty sure I could take a dreamy shot with the Nikon 85/1.4 give it a bit of glamour processing and get a similar feeling. But I don't think it would be quite the same. Diglloyd describes the Noct as having a softer rendition, lower contrast and a shallow zone of focus... even when compared to the 50 lux. I see all of that in the first shot. Maybe it is wishful thinking after all

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

David, the moment I clicked on both your shots, I immediately thought there was a kind of a softness (and roundness) to them with gentler contrast Yes, I know, I'm looking at screen resolution and don't know what the full rez files look like but I definitely see these attributes it with the image on the right and even in the one on the left. Obviously I knew you took them with your Noct and attributed that aspect to it and if I didn't know which lens you used, I still would have immediately seen this characteristic in your two images. Now if you had said you took them with a 50mm Lux asph, I would have thought this doesn't look characteristic of "that" (the 50mm Lux asph) lens.

Of course lighting and post processing could have polayed a role but those were my initital impressions What digilloyd described (and you quoted) as the differences between the 0.95 Noct and 50mm Lux asph, I would tend to agree, from what I've been seeing in many images (along with prints) from these two lenses.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 25th July 2011 at 06:01.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's tricky no doubt so I'm not gonna lie and say it's easy, even after much experience.....but, you NEED NEED NEED the 1.4x magnifier!!!! and my M9 first had a focus issue, not noticeable on other lenses only on the Noct. Once I added the two, my hit rate went from 60% to 85% without focus bracketing.

Also, when you focus and recompose you need to compensate by moving ever so slightly forward or backward, especially at minimum distances.

hope this helps...jetlagged waiting from my plane from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok
    Oh Kristian - I really disagree about the 1.4x magnifier - I found that it made matters worse. I'm getting a good hit rate new without - I'd say that the real truth is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

GOOD LUCK with the new company.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Kristian - I really disagree about the 1.4x magnifier - I found that it made matters worse. I'm getting a good hit rate new without - I'd say that the real truth is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

I'm confused. How could it make matters worse? it fills the frame more and the focus spot is enlarged. Is there something else I'm missing?

Post Thanks / Like

Kristian, although, I don' t have the 50 Nocti, and I can only lust after!!! I have the 50 Lux Asph, 75 Lux and 90 Cron AA, very well calibrated, and no problems nailing focus 90 to 95% of the time with the correct dioptor. I do have the 1.4x magnifier, and I have tried many times, for all the lenses, but for me it make focusing a lot more difficult IMHO.
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

RTWDream

Stunning photographs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesK View Post
    Kristian, although, I don' t have the 50 Nocti, and I can only lust after!!! I have the 50 Lux Asph, 75 Lux and 90 Cron AA, very well calibrated, and no problems nailing focus 90 to 95% of the time with the correct dioptor. I do have the 1.4x magnifier, and I have tried many times, for all the lenses, but for me it make focusing a lot more difficult IMHO.
    Not that I'm disagreeing, but 'how exactly' is it more difficult? frame lines blurred, too close?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A few Nocti Caps from the week-end Steve Huff workshop (grain and processing added)

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Kristian, Kurt, Matt, Jono and Ashwin ... wow stunning shots
    Ashwin, magically shots!!!

Not that I'm disagreeing, but 'how exactly' is it more difficult? frame lines blurred, too close?
    I do think some find the 1.4 magnifier works really well, but in my case the dioptor needs to be first attached to the 1.4x magnifier, and then the frame lines are not clear, as I wear multi focals.
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm confused. How could it make matters worse? it fills the frame more and the focus spot is enlarged. Is there something else I'm missing?
    Because all the magnifiers reduce the contrast in the rangefinder, and it's not the size of the patch that matters, but the quality of the patch - added to which, if you start changing the angle of view of the rangefinder for different lenses, then you need to keep 'relearning' your instinct with respect to focus confirmation.

Of course, that's only my feeling, but I've tried 0.25 and 0.4 magnifiers and neither seem to improve my hit rate.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course, that's only my feeling, but I've tried 0.25 and 0.4 magnifiers and neither seem to improve my hit rate.
    I'm not surprised at all ...

Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Because all the magnifiers reduce the contrast in the rangefinder, and it's not the size of the patch that matters, but the quality of the patch - added to which, if you start changing the angle of view of the rangefinder for different lenses, then you need to keep 'relearning' your instinct with respect to focus confirmation.

OIC, I can see how that could be a problem. Luckily it works for me but I'd be $300 richer if it didn't

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Here are a few of mine with the f0.95.

The Noctilux is very much a dream maker ... allowing for an endless amount of creative interpretations on how you want to capture an image, a scene or a moment.

Fantastic shots ! I love the first picture very much, incredible moment you have got there ! The smooth bokeh is just so amazing ! But it would cost me a kidney to afford one of these beasts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    A few Nocti Caps from the week-end Steve Huff workshop (grain and processing added)

Looked like a lot of fun, boys and their toys! We need you and Steve to bring it to LA Ashwin

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A little nocti from Sat. at the Steve Huff workshop. He was talking to another "captive" Leica shooter in front of him. I snuck in from the side. Great expressions! All M9-P and 50mm f/.95 w/8x ND.

Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool images Ashwin and Matt.

Matt, the filter and the lens provide a distinctive look that just so interesting to my eyes. Keep shooting!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Same to you Kurt...and, Ashwin. Here's a few more.

1. M9-P; 50mm f/.95 w/8x ND; 1/3000s @ f/.95; ISO 160

2. M9-P; 50mm f/.95 w/8x ND; 1/3000s @ f/.95; ISO 160

3. M9-P; 50mm f/.95 w/8x ND; 1/3000s @ f/.95; ISO 160

Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem with starting this thread is that I have to keep seeing all there sweet Noct pics and I no longer own the lens :-(

Keep it up guys, nice stuff

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Standard OOF/IF/OOF shots; but, still fun (IMHO).

1. M9-P; 50mm f/.95; ISO 160

2. M9-P; 50mm f/.95; 1/90s @ f/.95; ISO 160

3. M9-P; 50mm f/.95; 1/90s @ f/.95; ISO 160

Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you're really having fun Matt. I'm green with envy!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem with starting this thread is that I have to keep seeing all there sweet Noct pics and I no longer own the lens :-(

Keep it up guys, nice stuff
    I agree,
    I happily decided I dont need a Nocti some time ago and now you guys post all those images....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eat your heart out Tom (I have no sympathy).

Here are a couple of shots of enjoying the black stuff at Cambridge folk festival - both with an ND filter and shot wide open:

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jono, the second one is classic....the expression is spot on...taking in the beer on a sunny day = bliss for this guy...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Conjurer....

Sunset off Pier 70...

Chair Study

Last edited by ashwinrao1; 1st August 2011 at 22:13.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography