Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Leica Noctilux 0.95 Unplugged

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica Noctilux 0.95 Unplugged

LOL, Dave!

Thanks a lot, everyone!

I think only the excitement of the M9 compared. I've been itching for a Noctilux for years, then the ASPH came out and I was waffling even more... Almost had one in December but what's a couple more months? At last!

I'm pretty confident the M9 is working dead-on especially since I picked up the Walter RX Eyepiece. We'll see how it works out with the Noctilux. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread.

My favorite M9 lens is undoubtedly my Noct f/1.

The 0.95 Noct is, of course, amazing and I'll soon be shooting with the also amazing SLR Magic T/0.95 50mm on my M9.

For something different, you can see real sports photos shot with a Noct on a M9 in Southern California.

Anyone in Los Angeles on April 12 can enjoy food and drinks at my gallery opening. My photos will be on display for a month but the free ethanol and hord'vours are opening night only.

I took the MMA fight photos with my M9 and Noct with a couple of 21mm 'lux shots thrown in.

For the fashion imagery of the fighters and models I mostly went with my D3x.

Come to my Exhibition:
    COLLISION: Fashion meets Fighting
    At the:
    Hatakeyama Gallery
    905 S Hill St, Los Angeles
    April 12 at 6:30 PM
    Jump start Art Walk LA and
    See kick *** fighting and fashion photos

Love the Noct !!

Best,

Bill

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, happy day! I should be seeing 'OUT FOR DELIVERY' any time now.

EDIT: ARGH! The dreaded "Description provided is insufficient to classify commodity" delay.
    Last edited by Double Negative; 8th March 2012 at 05:52.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

After a 48 hour layover courtesy of FedEx/customs - the Eagle (Eye) has landed. w00t!

"Ohhhh myyyyy..." - George Takei

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    EDIT: ARGH! The dreaded "Description provided is insufficient to classify commodity" delay.
    Use HTS 9902.23.51.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sirimiri View Post
    Use HTS 9902.23.51.
    A little late now... I just told them (admittedly in a somewhat irritated voice) "it's a lens - made of aluminum and glass!" All good. It was squarely in the hands of customs, to be fair to FedEx... Who went out of their way to not only re-route the package to my house but also provide Saturday delivery.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear the eagle landed! You're going to love it!

I have had mind a month and am blown away by it constantly.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul, yeah - she's a beauty! Yesterday was my first real chance to take it out for a spin. Naturally I regretted not getting an ND filter ahead of time right away. The camera was pegged at 1/4000s for a while there... Heh.

The images are most impressive - sharp even wide open... But the isolation! Sweet. Like any super fast lenses though, there's some serious purple fringing going on though under the right conditions. All good; it is what it is.

I should have a round of shots up later in the week. For now... <swoon>

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Paul, yeah - she's a beauty! Yesterday was my first real chance to take it out for a spin. Naturally I regretted not getting an ND filter ahead of time right away. The camera was pegged at 1/4000s for a while there... Heh.

The images are most impressive - sharp even wide open... But the isolation! Sweet. Like any super fast lenses though, there's some serious purple fringing going on though under the right conditions. All good; it is what it is.

Congratulations - I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine
    off to a gig tonight

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic! Glad it arrived safe and sound. Everyone has their own style when shooting the Noct (both the f1 and 0.95 versions) and it's always facinating to see images that uniquely demonstrate the characteristics of these lenses. Congrads!

Dave (D&A)

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Congratulations - I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine
    off to a gig tonight
    Thanks, J! Ahh, nice! The perfect application for it. I was in an old English pub in town yesterday and did some quick shooting there. But I haven't had a chance to look at the pics yet. It's a little scary at first, with an M9/Noct hanging around your neck and lots of people with beer glasses (myself included) standing around. It's all good. I didn't buy the stuff to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Fantastic! Glad it arrived safe and sound. Everyone has their own style when shooting the Noct (both the f1 and 0.95 versions) and it's always facinating to see images that uniquely demonstrate the characteristics of these lenses. Congrads!
    Thanks, D! Yeah, you know how it is. Waiting for that big ticket item... Even three days is an eternity. Heh. Totally worth the "wait" though (I have to say, I got pretty lucky as it was <3m total).

I'm a slut for fast glass, I admit it. And if you're going to buy a lens like this, it really must be shot at/near wide open otherwise it's pointless to own...

I picked up the CV 50mm f/1.1 Nokton last year and while it's okay wide open, between the sharpness and bokeh I wasn't really feeling it. It needs to be shot a half or full stop down, IMO. That being the case, I could just use the Summilux and be a lot happier. So it's up for sale - after I do a head-to-head with the Nocti for fun and profit on La Vida Leica.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, quick question. What's everyone's favorite ND filter?

I was originally thinking of a Hoya Pro 1 as they have a good variety of densities, but alas - they don't come in 60mm. Which is okay, as I prefer B+W/Heliopan anyway... But they only offer 1, 2 and 3 stops before jumping off the charts with some really dark ones. Though I think that might be alright - as I find a 3-stop filter really not quite enough.

EDIT: I think I'm gonna go for a 6-stop. Trick now is to find one in stock somewhere...
    Last edited by Double Negative; 12th March 2012 at 10:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hate threads like this ... causes me to be way too envious!!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone cares, I ended up jumping on an old-school B+W .9/8x #103 filter from the 'bay. Hey, for $29 I wasn't going to argue (or hesitate). It's got the "fat" ring before they went all slim on us... And likely isn't MRC.

Go figure, I totally snoozed and missed out on the 3/6 stop filters recently in the classifieds. But if anyone out there's got a 6-stop, drop me a PM.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Michael,

I'm using a B+W 0.9 and a Heliopan 0.6, both slim-lines.
    FWIW I like the Heliopan best, because it holds the lens cap better.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Bart! Good to know.

I'm tempted by the B+W since it's the only one that seems to be available in a multi-coated version whereas the Heliopans (and darker B+W) aren't. A little weird that they're single-coated...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I got a B+W F-Pro 0.9 (because it was available). Seems to work fine so far.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I got a B+W F-Pro 0.9 (because it was available). Seems to work fine so far.
    Truth be told, I picked up an "old school" B+W 3-stop (.9/8x) off the 'bay for $29. Wasn't going to argue (or hesitate) on that one. I doubt it's MRC (isn't labeled as such either) and has the "fat frame" before they went all slim. It'll hold me over until I pick up a proper 6-stop.

I'd still love to know why they only make single-coated filters in some (mostly darker) densities though. Seems weird.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

B+W 1.8 (6-stops) and 3.0 (10-stops) come both in single and multi-coated versions.
    Don't know about Heliopan.
    Bart ...

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    B+W 1.8 (6-stops) and 3.0 (10-stops) come both in single and multi-coated versions.
    Don't know about Heliopan.
    Thanks, yeah - that 1.8 is the one I'm actually after. Of course, they're in stock, like, nowhere.

Heliopan has two more densities in between 3 and 6 stops but none are MC.