The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Nokton Thread (35 mm f/1.2, 40 mm f/1.4, 50 mm f/1.5, 35 mm f/1.4)

4season

Nice one Ashwin! I think I like it a bit better with the bottom portion (from the smoking sign downwards) cropped out. The child's pose, and the way they divide the frame with dark on one side and light on the other works really well, and the vagueness of the background gives the photo kind of an intimate feel that it might lack if the background were sharply in focus.

ashwinrao1

Nice one mate, the light makes it. How are you finding the Nokton (yes it's pretty big and heavy) from an image point of view?
Hi Kristian,
I am enjoying the Nokton. I find it to be, um...challenging, to nail focus on it, but when it's there, it's amazing. I have had better luck stopping it down to f/1.4 - 2.0, but will have to persist a while longer. I still feel that the look of the 35 lux FLE is more to my taste, being that it's more punchy and 3D, but the Nokton has its strengths for environmental portaits....I plan to use it for a while longer, and decide whether it's a keeper or not for me (so is the way with me ;)...

Best,
Ashwin

ashwinrao1

Thanks, Kristian, 4seasons, Mike & Dave. Agreed with your sentiments regarding the Nokton 35 1.2...fascinating and challenging lens...

Don Libby

I've been sitting on the fence about getting a Nokton 50/1.1 until a couple days ago and finally decided to just get one. Got it this morning and have only had a few hours to test/play with it before we had to leave for an art show being held for us. Of course I took it with me. The only problem I'm having is that the Metadata doesn't match with what I shoot - I've been shooting f/1.1 however it shows up as 1.4 so I guest I need to figure out which lens setting to use with the M9.

Sandy and I were sitting at the table so I let nature take its course - the first is Sandy the second is the little table decoration both shot at 1.1

Sandy f/1.1 (shows as 1.2) 1/1000 ISO 500

I thought I still had it set at 1.1 however its showing 1.4, 1/1000 ISO 500

Any suggestions on which lens setting to use or do I just suck it up and go with none knowing my f/stop recording will be in error.

I do like the lens given the small amount of time I've had it...

Don

leicashot

I've been sitting on the fence about getting a Nokton 50/1.1 until a couple days ago and finally decided to just get one. Got it this morning and have only had a few hours to test/play with it before we had to leave for an art show being held for us. Of course I took it with me. The only problem I'm having is that the Metadata doesn't match with what I shoot - I've been shooting f/1.1 however it shows up as 1.4 so I guest I need to figure out which lens setting to use with the M9.

Sandy and I were sitting at the table so I let nature take its course - the first is Sandy the second is the little table decoration both shot at 1.1

Sandy f/1.1 (shows as 1.2) 1/1000 ISO 500

I thought I still had it set at 1.1 however its showing 1.4, 1/1000 ISO 500

Any suggestions on which lens setting to use or do I just suck it up and go with none knowing my f/stop recording will be in error.

I do like the lens given the small amount of time I've had it...

Don
It'll never give an accurate reading. Not once did I see the Noct register 0.95

Jerry_R

There is no communication between lens and body, so aperture is only estimated.

Fast lenses wide open - often do not transfer more light than slightly closed down - due to bigger vignetting.
For example Summiluxes wide open very often show f/1.7.

leicashot

There is no communication between lens and body, so aperture is only estimated.

Fast lenses wide open - often do not transfer more light than slightly closed down - due to bigger vignetting.
For example Summiluxes wide open very often show f/1.7.
Jerry I'm not sure that is correct. Opening the aperture does let more light through, and the vignetting only affects the corners, or am I missing something?

D&A

Kristian, I don't want to speak for Jerry, but I think he might have been referring to the exif data and the differences it tries to report on the lens aperture used. If I understand him correctly, for example, when using a fast lens that heavily vignettes like the Nokton 50mm f1.1...when its shot at f1.1 vs. being used at f1.4, the exif data might show the same f-stop being used (f1.4) since in certain lighting conditons, opening the lens up from f1.4 to f1.1 doesn't change the shutter speed picked by the camera. If he's refering to the amount of actual light reaching the sensor, thats a different story.

Dave (D&A)

Great thread Ashwin - here are some with the CV 35mm f1.2 on M8.2 -both shot at f2 or thereabouts ;-)

Some cone flowers

And my wife relaxing out on a beautiful sunny day :)

Cheers,

Jerry_R

Wow Joe, nice shots!
When did you enter M? I assume you still use u43?

I remember DP Review u43 discussions, your PanaLeica 45mm Elmarit Yosemite shots. I was the person who asked you via email - questions about Summilux 25mm - after seeing your gallery, before I finally decided on move from 5D to u43 :)

Cheers,
Jerry

Wow Joe, nice shots!
When did you enter M? I assume you still use u43?

I remember DP Review u43 discussions, your PanaLeica 45mm Elmarit Yosemite shots. I was the person who asked you via email - questions about Summilux 25mm - after seeing your gallery, before I finally decided on move from 5D to u43 :)

Cheers,
Jerry
Hey Jerry! Yes - I am still shooting m4/3 - just got a G3 in fact so will be posting some shots with that camera soon.

I got a Leica M8.2 just a couple months back when I was able to get a good deal on eBay. In fact, it was playing around with Zeiss M mount lenses on m4/3 that got me interested in getting an M camera ;-)

Good to see you here - and thanks for your comments.

Cheers,

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Here's one I shot with the 35/1.2, at f/4. Fine bokeh at all apertures. Just ever so prone to look busy on-screen, but it mellows out nicely in print. Buddha statuary in Phnom Penh.

(I apologize for the garish appearance, but it's a quick export from a print variant in LR3, and a good print rarely looks as good on-screen.)