Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Nokton Thread (35 mm f/1.2, 40 mm f/1.4, 50 mm f/1.5, 35 mm f/1.4)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Nokton Thread (35 mm f/1.2, 40 mm f/1.4, 50 mm f/1.5, 35 mm f/1.4)

So I just got me my Nokton 35 mm f/1.2 back, thanks to Kristian's overtempting, beautiful captures taken with this lens...I believe I have seen superman, and it's Kristian with his camera capturing "superman" in Hollywood.

All of this, along with some playful banter, has gotten me motivated to start a Nokton thread here....

So here goes, my first few revisits to the Nokton 35 mm f/1.2 chrome on the Leica M9....nothing to arty, but heck, I am having fun.

PLEASE share your efforts with this series of lenses which is vastly underrated....

1st shares with the Nokton 35 mm f/1.2

Fun family shots of friends, taken this evening. Surely, there are many out there with fantastic caps with this lens....I'm gonna keep it as a lens cap for a couple of weeks and see what happens...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Nokton Thread (35 mm f/1.2, 40 mm f/1.4, 50 mm f/1.5, 35 mm f/1.4)

A very nice start Ashwin, very nice candids indeed, let me see what I can do.....

...so here's a couple from today. All wide open with the 35/1.2 on the M9-P...not amazing photography but I think the lens's character speaks out. All full frame, un-cropped.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely, rich images, Kristian!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Lovely, rich images, Kristian!
    A bit boring, but give me time. I'm heading to Malaysia next week, not exactly for shooting with the M, but may have a few frames to share following.

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin,

Lovely pix, as usual. I had to also chime in to say let's not forget the 50mm f1.1 Nokton, it's a lovely lens too.

Olympus E-PL1
    Attachment 46587

Sony NEX 5 (with FaderND)
    Attachment 46588

Olympus E-PL1
    Attachment 46586

These are all wide open.

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 18th November 2012 at 09:21.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

1. Ashwin, an auspisious start! Some great candids there. I love that 1st shot...where I presume it's the dad holding his son. What at first appears to be the dad having some fun...just look at the expression on the little ones face and especially his expressive eyes. Looks like he's trying to make eye contact with mom and the other adults with a very worried/puzzled look as though saying, "what the heck is going on..is dad going to take a bit out of me?" Looking forward to see how you progree with the lens, being reaquanted with an old friend (the 35mm f1.2).

2. Kristian, what can I say...besides these which are lovely as usual (and it's hard to decide which are my favorites). I also have a vivid memory of others images you've taken with the 35mm f1.2, that you posted on another forum that were extremely impressive and really showed the character of this lens. Looking forward to seeing more as you have impressive control of both this lens as well as the 0.95 Noct.

3. Simon, I especially like your 3rd image taken with the VC 50mm f1.1 on the Olympus. I agree, the VC 50mm f1.1 shouyld be included in this thread regarding the Noktons.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread Ashwin to start and watch what these lenses, including Nokton 50 1.1 can bring

QUESTION
    (in the name of your children )

What percentage of your family\friends photos are wide open? I mean private memories, not paid job.

The reason I ask is - as I look at family childhood pictures from past, I really value most - the ones that show me the background. Show me environment. Show me the yard I was riding bicycle on, show me the room, parents, dogs, etc.

They were all made with analog 35mm camera. When I look on old family shots from weddings - I mostly search for the ones where I can see faces, people, church, etc. Then I can ask questions to older family members - who was he, who was she

You see what I mean?

I am absolutely not against photos with very shallow DOF, but just wanted to remember you, that even if you LOVE them today, after time, in future - you and your children may be more interested in surroundings you were living in. So - do you also, in parallel - take family\friends pictures slightly closed down?

What YOU think?
    What are your observations, statistics
    We do not need to talk about opposite extreme, like f/16, but more about f/4 or f/5.6, maybe sometimes f/2.8 or f/8.
    Best Regards!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

All very good points, Jerry. I think that there are certainly moments, both present and future, where one wishes to capture foreground and background to capture the essence of a memory. In other cases, it's an expression, a look on the face, that's most important, and subject isolation through narrow depth of field is more appropriate. Both are worthwhile memories and require differing composition. Knowing your photo stream, I know that you appreciate this already. At times, I'll pull out my tri-elmar, which limits me to f/4, in order to capture the "story telling" shots...at other times, subjective isolation is more my flavor. It varies moment by moment, scene by scene. Thankfully, the Noktons afford us cheaper glass to be able to create both looks and lower-than-Leica costs....

though I do love my Leica glass
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Ashwin,

Lovely pix, as usual. I had to also chime in to say let's not forget the 50mm f1.1 Nokton, it's a lovely lens too.

Olympus E-PL1
    Attachment 46587

Sony NEX 5 (with FaderND)
    Attachment 46588

Olympus E-PL1
    Attachment 46586

These are all wide open.

Cheers,
    Simon, these are awesome! Totally flaked on putting up the 1.1 Nokton on the subject of the thread
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Dave. yes, I very much enjoyed that capture and its spontenaeity. The Nokton is an old friend, and I think it's worth another spin. Modeern aspherical Leica glass definitely providers a "look", and the Noktons seems to render a gentler, less critical look, which is good for people photos and other instances....horses for the courses...we'll see if I like getting back on that horse
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_R View Post
    Good thread Ashwin to start and watch what these lenses, including Nokton 50 1.1 can bring

QUESTION
    (in the name of your children )

What percentage of your family\friends photos are wide open? I mean private memories, not paid job.

The reason I ask is - as I look at family childhood pictures from past, I really value most - the ones that show me the background. Show me environment. Show me the yard I was riding bicycle on, show me the room, parents, dogs, etc.

They were all made with analog 35mm camera. When I look on old family shots from weddings - I mostly search for the ones where I can see faces, people, church, etc. Then I can ask questions to older family members - who was he, who was she

You see what I mean?

I am absolutely not against photos with very shallow DOF, but just wanted to remember you, that even if you LOVE them today, after time, in future - you and your children may be more interested in surroundings you were living in. So - do you also, in parallel - take family\friends pictures slightly closed down?

What YOU think?
    What are your observations, statistics
    We do not need to talk about opposite extreme, like f/16, but more about f/4 or f/5.6, maybe sometimes f/2.8 or f/8.

10% are shot wide open because like you said, depth of field is important to memories, unless the background is pointless and I feel more like shooting an isolated portrait instead.

You see what I mean?

When dealing with Leica photographers, they love to show off the ability to shoot at shallow depth of field, while maintaining a lot of sharpness at the focus plane, compared to other cameras. While this 'can' make for a nice unique looking image, the photograph does lack the 'more important' information needed to make the picture work as all of the relevant information has been made out of focus. I do bring this up a lot, but really in a thread like this for a super speed lens, you're not going to be seeing images stopped down much past 1 stop from open aperture. A lens's signature is usually only evident around open aperture. Otherwise the picture will look like it was taken with just about any lens.

I'm not sure f/16 is even needed. I haven't shot at f/16 for some time. I find that at close range, shooting people against a background f/4-f/11 is enough to give either good separation to the subject or enough focus to see what's going on in the background. f/16 also usually introduces diffraction making the image less sharp as fast lenses reach their maximum sharpness around 2-3 stops down. but sometimes if maximum focus throughout the image is required, f/16 will take you there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind comments Ashwin and Dave.

Although not a Nokton, the 75mm f1.8 Heliar Classic lens has a similarly lovely DOF and bokeh wide open:

On Micro 4/3
    Attachment 46626

On Sony NEX 5
    Attachment 46625

On Sony NEX 5
    Attachment 46627

Ciao,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 18th November 2012 at 09:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nokton 35 at 1,2 in a spring landscape

it a bit big and heavy but I love it
    Enjoy living, live to enjoy

Post Thanks / Like

50/1.1 Nokton, on the Leica M9. Wide-Open.

Post Thanks / Like

Nokton 35/1.2, wide-open on the Leica M9.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an M8 shot with the 35/1.2, probably at f/1.4. I'd accidentally left the UV/IR filter at home.

Friends by peter.a.klein (Boulanger-Croissant), on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

A couple more, with M8 and IR filter.

Carl by peter.a.klein (Boulanger-Croissant), on Flickr

Holiday Bokeh by peter.a.klein (Boulanger-Croissant), on Flickr

-Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bébèrt View Post
    Nokton 35 at 1,2 in a spring landscape

it a bit big and heavy but I love it
    Wow, now this is why the Nokton is better than the Summilux Don't hate now heheh

brilliant!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Wow is right! I've always felt the 35mm f1.2 had a most desirable look without it dominating an image, but simply added to it's character. This pic in my opinion illustrates this nicely.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leicashot View Post

10% are shot wide open because like you said, depth of field is important to memories, unless the background is pointless and I feel more like shooting an isolated portrait instead.

You see what I mean?

When dealing with Leica photographers, they love to show off the ability to shoot at shallow depth of field, while maintaining a lot of sharpness at the focus plane, compared to other cameras. While this 'can' make for a nice unique looking image, the photograph does lack the 'more important' information needed to make the picture work as all of the relevant information has been made out of focus. I do bring this up a lot, but really in a thread like this for a super speed lens, you're not going to be seeing images stopped down much past 1 stop from open aperture. A lens's signature is usually only evident around open aperture. Otherwise the picture will look like it was taken with just about any lens.

I'm not sure f/16 is even needed. I haven't shot at f/16 for some time. I find that at close range, shooting people against a background f/4-f/11 is enough to give either good separation to the subject or enough focus to see what's going on in the background. f/16 also usually introduces diffraction making the image less sharp as fast lenses reach their maximum sharpness around 2-3 stops down. but sometimes if maximum focus throughout the image is required, f/16 will take you there.
    Even though some lenses loose their "signature" when stopped down significantly...there are those that maintain a great deal of their character, even when shot at f4 and f5.6. It may be nothing more than their "roundness" and pleasing rendition as opposed to ultra sharp presentation of subject. The Leica 75mm Lux falls into this former category.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Even though some lenses loose their "signature" when stopped down significantly...there are those that maintain a great deal of their character, even when shot at f4 and f5.6. It may be nothing more than their "roundness" and pleasing rendition as opposed to ultra sharp presentation of subject. The Leica 75mm Lux falls into this former category.

Dave (D&A)
    Honestly I never been able to distinguish a lens after it's stopped down 1 or 2 stops. They always seems to look the same....but thats my eyes of course.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I never been able to distinguish a lens after it's stopped down 1 or 2 stops. They always seems to look the same....but thats my eyes of course.
    I can certainly appreciate that and it doesn't apply to every lens that a signature of "look" can still be seen after stooping down a couple of stops. It depends on a number of factors..possible how the lens handles flair, or certain lighting conditions or the way it presents it's bokeh. Just one average ( simple) example....the M-Hexanon 28mm lens has wonderfully smooth but soft corners and a touch of corner light falloff wide open. It's not the usual poor resolution corner smears when used at open aperture but a delightful vintage look. Sometimes a bit more resolving power is necessary for the corners for certain images, but still retaining the "look"...so this lens is then used at f4 or even f5. At these apertures, the character of the lens is still retained and very identfiable and very different than any other rangefinder 28m I've used. Not the best 28mm, but one where a look and a unique fingerprint is desired.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

. . . .
    Not just family candids, but (some) surroundings in-focus are essential for street work and environmental portraits.

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots everyone!

Hmm, am I on the right thread? Is this a picture thread or is this now a discussion on selective focus?

Back to pics. Re-post of some of my earlier CV 50/1.5 shots. Both shot wide open

Joe

with M8

with M9

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevin2i View Post
    Not just family candids, but (some) surroundings in-focus are essential for street work and environmental portraits.
    I agree. one only has to look at all the best documentary and street work done in history to see that....or just visit the home of the bets in the business- Magnum. They only shoot wide open when they 'have to'.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for discussion and great photos!
    I love the spring landscape @1.2

In childhood I used analog bodies, no fast lenses. Then, quite long break.
    And came back with digital - 5D II (35 1.4 + 85 1.8). I had some calibration issues, even when using adjustments. Focus missed too often.
    I migrated to u43. I startet to love the system. One day - my friend shown me his M8. At that time M9 was already on the market. Before that meeting - I didn't realize, that there was already mirrorless FF body. I started to read Steve H portal.

And... I migrated to M9 It was HATE and LOVE in parallel. I had some issues with 100% exact framing, which I was used to with u43. Also separate magnifiers, external viewfinders, no HSS with flash, color shift, CornerFix - it all pissed me off.

I sold M9. Came back to u43. Turned off all dispalys and tried to use it more manually. You know what? Family started to ask me questions and giving comments - hey, your pictures were so nice, but since last change they miss something they had

After some time, from little distance - I compared many pictures from last months. And... through short experience with NEX and Zeiss lenses - I came back to M9 world. I gave myself more time this time, read more about history of rangefinders and... LOVE it now again, without looking into past

Sorry for long digression. Am still showing chronologically some older u43 pictures in its thread, soon will start to share M photos too.
    Best Regards!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I shoot wide open a LOT and always have.

I like it, and do as I please.

If you like the look, who cares what anyone else thinks.

And if you don't like the look of shots taken wide-open, then stop your lens down and look at someone else's pictures that does the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I happened upon a free Glen Hansard concert in Chicago a couple weeks ago. All I had with me was the Nokton 50.

John

I like that the 50 is capable of a more retro look wide open.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to have to try out the 50/1.5 Nokton on the M9. It is the original from the early 1950's, from the Voigtlander Prominent. I have a Prominent to S-Mount, and S-Mount to Leica mount adapter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Voigtlander Nokton lenses are a great purchase, quality lens at a nice price.

Carnivorous Plants

M8.2 with Voigtlander Nokton Classic SC 40mm f1.4 @ f1.4

Seattle View from University of Washington Tower 22 Floor

M9 with Voigtlander Nokton Asph 50mm f1.5 @ f5.6

Pike Street Market

M9 with Voigtlander Nokton Asph 50mm f1.5 @ f1.5

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The even cheaper 35mm Nokton. A bit of everything.

1. M9; CV Nokton 35mm f/1.4; 1/[email protected] f/2; ISO 160

2. M9; CV Nokton 35mm f/1.4; 1/[email protected] f/1.7; +1/3 EV; ISO 160

3. M9; CV Nokton 35mm f/1.4; 1/[email protected] f/2; +1-2/3 EV; ISO 160

4. M9; CV Nokton 35mm f/1.4; 1/[email protected] f/4; +2/3 EV; ISO 160

5. M9; CV Nokton 35mm f/1.4; 1/[email protected] f/2; +2/3 EV; ISO 160

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zernfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dan & Matt,

Damn I miss Seattle! Thanks for the fix. Great pix.

Ciao,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, that bike shot has fantastic cool bokeh!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Dan & Matt,
    Damn I miss Seattle! Thanks for the fix. Great pix.
    Ciao,
    Matt, that bike shot has fantastic cool bokeh!
    Simon/Ashwin: Gentlemen, thanks! (I have my $100 deposit down on the CV 35mm f/1.2 Ver. II; if it ever is released )

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Simon/Ashwin: Gentlemen, thanks! (I have my $100 deposit down on the CV 35mm f/1.2 Ver. II; if it ever is released )

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Me too. I'm #1 on the Gandy list....should it ever make it to market

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if what is holding up its release (the VC 35mm f1.2 II), are the same reasons why lenses like the Zeiss ZM and other lenses from Nikon etc in that part of the world now are also in short supply?

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

M8 CV 35mm f1.2

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely images, everyone....one 35 Nokton 1.2 from Crater Lake NP

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely images, everyone....one 35 Nokton 1.2 from Crater Lake NP

Nice one mate, the light makes it. How are you finding the Nokton (yes it's pretty big and heavy) from an image point of view?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin, an interesting image in a number of ways. The background although diffuse, has character and "bite" and it's as though the fence in the foreground is the dividing point between sharp and soft. Almost looks as though father and son are viewing a large wall mural in a museum and the little one is pointing out the mountains. I've noticed the 35mm f1.2 often produced images with OOF areas having some "grittiness" in certain lighting conditions as opposed to the often buttery smoothness of the 35mm Lux asph...which can work to the 35mm f1.2's advantage.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 19th July 2011 at 12:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Ashwin! I think I like it a bit better with the bottom portion (from the smoking sign downwards) cropped out. The child's pose, and the way they divide the frame with dark on one side and light on the other works really well, and the vagueness of the background gives the photo kind of an intimate feel that it might lack if the background were sharply in focus.

Post Thanks / Like

1st shares with the Nokton 35 mm f/1.2
    HILARIOUS!

Post Thanks / Like

A few of mine.

old truck in old englewood by mike thomas, on Flickr
    (M2, Efke 25)

(M2, Efke 25)

selfie by mike thomas, on Flickr
    (M8)

around cherry knolls park by mike thomas, on Flickr
    (M2, Efke 25)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one mate, the light makes it. How are you finding the Nokton (yes it's pretty big and heavy) from an image point of view?
    Hi Kristian,
    I am enjoying the Nokton. I find it to be, um...challenging, to nail focus on it, but when it's there, it's amazing. I have had better luck stopping it down to f/1.4 - 2.0, but will have to persist a while longer. I still feel that the look of the 35 lux FLE is more to my taste, being that it's more punchy and 3D, but the Nokton has its strengths for environmental portaits....I plan to use it for a while longer, and decide whether it's a keeper or not for me (so is the way with me ...

Best,
    Ashwin
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    A few of mine.

(M2, Efke 25)

(M2, Efke 25)

selfie by mike thomas, on Flickr
    (M8)

around cherry knolls park by mike thomas, on Flickr
    (M2, Efke 25)
    Mike, these are fantastic! The emotion, the hints and allegations of this capture, are magnificent!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Kristian, 4seasons, Mike & Dave. Agreed with your sentiments regarding the Nokton 35 1.2...fascinating and challenging lens...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've been sitting on the fence about getting a Nokton 50/1.1 until a couple days ago and finally decided to just get one. Got it this morning and have only had a few hours to test/play with it before we had to leave for an art show being held for us. Of course I took it with me. The only problem I'm having is that the Metadata doesn't match with what I shoot - I've been shooting f/1.1 however it shows up as 1.4 so I guest I need to figure out which lens setting to use with the M9.

Sandy and I were sitting at the table so I let nature take its course - the first is Sandy the second is the little table decoration both shot at 1.1

Sandy f/1.1 (shows as 1.2) 1/1000 ISO 500

I thought I still had it set at 1.1 however its showing 1.4, 1/1000 ISO 500

Any suggestions on which lens setting to use or do I just suck it up and go with none knowing my f/stop recording will be in error.

I do like the lens given the small amount of time I've had it...

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I've been sitting on the fence about getting a Nokton 50/1.1 until a couple days ago and finally decided to just get one. Got it this morning and have only had a few hours to test/play with it before we had to leave for an art show being held for us. Of course I took it with me. The only problem I'm having is that the Metadata doesn't match with what I shoot - I've been shooting f/1.1 however it shows up as 1.4 so I guest I need to figure out which lens setting to use with the M9.

Sandy and I were sitting at the table so I let nature take its course - the first is Sandy the second is the little table decoration both shot at 1.1

Sandy f/1.1 (shows as 1.2) 1/1000 ISO 500

I thought I still had it set at 1.1 however its showing 1.4, 1/1000 ISO 500

Any suggestions on which lens setting to use or do I just suck it up and go with none knowing my f/stop recording will be in error.

I do like the lens given the small amount of time I've had it...

Don
    It'll never give an accurate reading. Not once did I see the Noct register 0.95

Post Thanks / Like

There is no communication between lens and body, so aperture is only estimated.

Fast lenses wide open - often do not transfer more light than slightly closed down - due to bigger vignetting.
    For example Summiluxes wide open very often show f/1.7.
    Best Regards!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_R View Post
    There is no communication between lens and body, so aperture is only estimated.

Fast lenses wide open - often do not transfer more light than slightly closed down - due to bigger vignetting.
    For example Summiluxes wide open very often show f/1.7.
    Jerry I'm not sure that is correct. Opening the aperture does let more light through, and the vignetting only affects the corners, or am I missing something?