Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Leica pricing on the used market

Post Thanks / Like

Leica pricing on the used market

Seems from looking at many used Leica ads recently that consumers are making more $$$ on new/mint Leica products than retailers. Ethically, it really sucks that this is happening because it creates a market that prohibits potentially good photographers from accessing such equipment, where only people with deeper pockets prevail.

I know its cameras like the X100 and M 4/3 cameras that are pushing demand towards the Leica M system, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm even seeing Leica dealers selling above list price now too. Some had held back on selling the Ti M9 and now selling for at least $10k more than list, on a new camera.

I know the market pushes prices this way, but at this rate I'm not sure I'll ever be able to justify owning a 'Leica' lens again, especially when there are such good alternatives with Zeiss and Voigtlander.

Your thoughts?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica pricing on the used market

I'm with you, Kristian. Interesting times. thankfully, I have a great kit that I purchased before overinflation has taken over the Leica Market. I must admit to selling some lenses and making a tad of profit to meet the market, but would have a hard time justifying prices above new as sale prices...however, I guess the market does set the prices, and Leica can't seem to make enough to meet demands....to be honest, it seems wierd....why can't they produce lenses? I hear that there is a 1 year!!! wait on getting a new 50 lux asph, and a similar wait for the 35 lux FLE. The Noct f0.95 may not even have such a clear timeline, and the first 2 lenses are likely to be the most popular in Leica's high end glass.

Now, even Zeiss glass is hard to come by. Try finding a Zeiss 50 Sonnar new!?! Can't be done...

I think that with the diversification of the camera market (similar to what happened in film...many bodies, many shapes, many types of cameras, not just SLR's), Leica has grown in popularity, and with a flood of new bodies, there are not enough lenses.

I just hope Leica doesn't use the market to base their own prices...thankfully, I have most, if not all, of the lenses that I need...just want that 21 super elmar LOL....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post

I just hope Leica doesn't use the market to base their own prices...thankfully, I have most, if not all, of the lenses that I need...just want that 21 super elmar LOL....
    You only want that lens cause it has the word 'SUPER' in the title right!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
    You only want that lens cause it has the word 'SUPER' in the title right!
    LOL!!!

I'd even want it more if it were called the "Super Duper Elmar 21 mm f/3.4"...but I think they are reserving that title for their 14 mm elmar....

24 "elmar"
    21 "super elmar"
    18 "super elmar"
    14 "super duper" elmar....with a cherry on top....

It'll be mine!LOL....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    I...thankfully, I have most, if not all, of the lenses that I need...just want that 21 super elmar LOL....
    Ashwin, don't confuse this with the other four letter word - need - your work is great with your current kit, go out and enjoy.
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It has become a bit of a sport to get a nice lens in the second hand market - one needs to be on his toes, check the dealer's pages etc. but it can be done - I managed to get a Cron 90 Apo Asph chrome version plus a black paint Cron 35 Asph in one trip to Leicashop Vienna (both used and mint - the "newly arrived" email hit my outlook at 1AM and I placed my order at 6AM the same day), a 50 Lux asph from ebay (chrome, mint, paid Eur 700 over list, ouch) and a mint Elmarit 24 Asph from Leica shop Vienna two days ago (Zeiss 25/28 finder is on its way from Hong Kong, via eBay). I've had the M9 since January this year - so it took me 6 months to get the lenses I wanted but now I feel I am done. Plus, one can start with pre-asph Leica lenses which are more available than the new glass and then upgrade when you find the newer lenses (I did this with the Cron 35, and the Vienna guys took back the version IV I had bought from them earlier in part exchange, at close to what I had paid for it). OK, the 35 Lux FLE would be cool and I've been on the waiting list for 4 months now but I don't feel I am suffering. Btw, Leicashop had at least one used M9 in the shop window two days ago, and had some new lenses in stock (I noticed the Cron 28 Asph but there were more). Frankly, I have more important things to worry about than the morality of the users making profit where Leica dealers could make it instead - it's the market.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frankly, I couldn't/wouldn't be able to buy my M gear today without some major sell-off of my gear closet. What I've been offered for my 0.95 and 75 Lux 6 bit German is flabbergasting. Trouble with selling them is I'd probably never be able to get them back again. Still, it's tempting.

Leica is like a mom & pop bakery ... merrily making apple fritters for the neighborhood. Then suddenly the world discovers them and the fritter guy can't make enough of them : -)

-Marc

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever... I refuse to buy anything at obviously gouged prices. I'll wait until this passes. Thankfully, I don't really have a need for anything. Just desires.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Frankly, I couldn't/wouldn't be able to buy my M gear today without some major sell-off of my gear closet. What I've been offered for my 0.95 and 75 Lux 6 bit German is flabbergasting. Trouble with selling them is I'd probably never be able to get them back again. Still, it's tempting.

Leica is like a mom & pop bakery ... merrily making apple fritters for the neighborhood. Then suddenly the world discovers them and the fritter guy can't make enough of them : -)

-Marc
    C'mon Marc we all know you're made of money

Don't you own the entire Hasselbald kit?! Hang on, didn't you just buy Hassselblad!?! hehe

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There is a reason there are not enough lenses...they aren't manufactured by robots.

http://blog.leica-camera.com/leica-n...uring-process/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The market for lenses, used and new and their respective prices and availability in the private marketplace will have it's periods of ups and downs. Although like many here I desire to find certain lenses, I either will ask if someone has one for sale or will look for one, but continue to use and enjoy what I have and ultimately along the way, one of them shows up. I agree though that prices have become astronomical on some, and puts them out of consideration. Still there are enough great and useful lenses in all focal lengths that can be had, by Leica and all the other 3rd parties and as always, it's the vision of the photographer and his abilities that will ultimately make a great image.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the 70s, I had an M2, 50 DR Summicron and 90 Tele-Elmarit. I paid about $650 for all three. Sold them after college because I didn't want to be in debt. I wish I hadn't. Shortly after, the Japanese collecting craze hit. Collector's representatives were hitting used camera fairs and paying double, triple, quadruple the price for anything Leica M. The market rose accordingly. That's why I shot with a IIIf and modest, (then) uncollectable LTM lenses for years.

I finally was able to afford to get back into M's around the turn of the century. I winced at the used prices, but at least I could do it. Now I see things are happening just like the early 80s, albeit for different reasons. I could probably get double what I paid for each of my Leica lenses now. So all I can do is say to myself, "thank goodness I've got what I've got." And wish I'd bought an f/1 Noctilux or a 50 Lux ASPH before the current craze hit.

I used to joke that Leica set its prices by tapping into my brain. Whatever was the highest price I would possibly pay, kicking and screaming, they doubled it. Well, now they triple or quadruple it.

Buy used, buy early, buy often...? And if you can't afford Leica, there's VC, Zeiss, old Canon and Nikon, and even judiciously picked Soviet stuff.

--Peter

Post Thanks / Like

I've sold off all my used Leica glass, to buy new. I have ZM's to carry me through the waiting time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    I've sold off all my used Leica glass, to buy new. I have ZM's to carry me through the waiting time.
    Interesting idea. Does of course only work for those lenses that are still available new.

I eventually decided this week to take out insurance for my camera gear. You can insure item-by-item the replacement value, which is for lenses still on the market the list price. Trouble is that if I had to replace my used 50 lux, which I bought used 3 years ago and the had it 6-bit coded, I would have to pay more than the list price (if I want it immidiately). I was also positively "shocked" to see recent prices for items that are no longer made and that I had bought used a few years ago, such as the 75 lux, the 1.0 noctilux or the 28-35-50 tri elmar.

All of this confirms what I allways tell my wife: "I did not buy the stuff, I rent it and will still make a profit if I sell" Just need to find a 0.95 noct for "rent" now!

What I do not tell is that the same theory does not hold true for the M8 and M8.2.

Post Thanks / Like

I know the market pushes prices this way, but at this rate I'm not sure I'll ever be able to justify owning a 'Leica' lens again, especially when there are such good alternatives with Zeiss and Voigtlander.

Your thoughts?
    Unless your aim is to pay less than the market price for a new lens the solution would seem to be what everybody else does, order the one you want from a Leica Dealer and get on a list. You will have then undercut the people with deeper pockets!

But its true that second hand prices have also been dragged upwards by the scarcity of some lenses. You wouldn't go far wrong by cherry picking the best of the CV lenses or buying Zeiss ZM. I was recently disappointed to find the Super Elmar had been recalled even before I could get to my Leica Dealer to buy it. But it gave me time to think. I had always loved Zeiss lenses since my Hasselblad and Contax G2 days, and thought instead I would treat myself to the 21mm f2.8 Biogon. And I'm delighted to say it has all the characteristic's I loved in the older ones, half the price of the Super Elmar, and while it may not be as technically perfect as the Elmar perfection is not necessarily what a good lens is about in my book.

And if you see Leica Dealers selling at above list price it could be worth
    making them an offer they can't refuse as I think Leica look down on any dealer not playing a fair game.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have regretted selling any Leica M lens I ever sold - because I found myself buying it back - usually new at higher prices. The M8 forced me to add to my collection because of its cropped sensor. I have bought and sold 3 Noctis and still regret selling the last one! So yeah I will treat myself to a Nocti one day...

As for the used market - there are no silly sellers on this or any other forum - just experts at being nice at all times making long posts of snaps made with a great lens - that surprise surprise a little while later - comes up for a regretful sale because of reason XYZ ...

Leica runs their business as it should be run - make quality stuff which isn't perfect but is a lot better than others don't compete against the CaNikons and don't over produce anything

A few years ago Leica were going broke because they didn't have a digital camera platform - now they aren't. My M8 is still as good as the day I bought it and my M9 is even better - no way will I sell my M8 for example just because other people say it isn't worth a 'zac' - same with lenses.

You know the drill Kristian.

Your Hasselblad is great - it was with some degree of regret I sold my nearly complete system - but then again now I get the pleasure of using an S2 instead and I don't care what all the pixel peepers say - the S2 lenses make everythign else ordinary- and the added bonus is really enjoying people saying it is too expensive and the glass is to expensive.

Better to have less of something you really enjoy - than more of something that is easier to afford no?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just to put it in perspective, a couple of years back I wasn't too optimistic about Leica's future. Used lenses were selling at a deep discount from the price of new ones and there was no shortage of good used glass around. Thought to myself that Leica had a bad business model.... making top quality lenses that lasted forever... no built in obsolescence, etc. And while I like to support my local bricks and mortar dealer (David F at Dale Labs) I really had a hard time justifying paying double the price of a used lens for a new one. Boy... have things changed since then!! So, in a way, I think it's a good thing that a company that continues it's tradition to build top quality gear irrespective of cost is prospering.

While I don't dispute the right of people to sell their gear for what the market will bear there are many of us who will pass up the opportunity to make a profit in favor of selling a lens to a friend or associate who will use and enjoy it. I do have a different standard for dealers who charge above list price. I think it's wrong and, ultimately, short sighted in that they have sacrificed their reputation for a few extra dollars. I won't do business with such dealers now or in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Just to put it in perspective, a couple of years back I wasn't too optimistic about Leica's future. Used lenses were selling at a deep discount from the price of new ones and there was no shortage of good used glass around. Thought to myself that Leica had a bad business model.... making top quality lenses that lasted forever... no built in obsolescence, etc. And while I like to support my local bricks and mortar dealer (David F at Dale Labs) I really had a hard time justifying paying double the price of a used lens for a new one. Boy... have things changed since then!! So, in a way, I think it's a good thing that a company that continues it's tradition to build top quality gear irrespective of cost is prospering.

While I don't dispute the right of people to sell their gear for what the market will bear there are many of us who will pass up the opportunity to make a profit in favor of selling a lens to a friend or associate who will use and enjoy it. I do have a different standard for dealers who charge above list price. I think it's wrong and, ultimately, short sighted in that they have sacrificed their reputation for a few extra dollars. I won't do business with such dealers now or in the future.

Amen to all that brother!

Post Thanks / Like

I have had some great luck with people here on Get dpi, the lenses I bought werent mint, but they were close to optically perfect and they were well below ebay prices.

I am really happy I found this forum , friendly members, helpful, and you get critiques, not criticisms , which I believe are different

good to be here!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

The members here at GetDPI are great(!) and I've picked up a lot of gear over the years here. But lately, it has gotten a little out of hand (pricewise). I don't know if it's the influx of new people or someone smelling a quick buck...

But like I said earlier, I won't buy at obviously gouged prices; not from a member, not from a dealer and certainly not from the 'bay. Like David says, I'd be reluctant to deal with such sellers in the future. Feeding the frenzy will only make it worse. Know what things are worth (do your homework) and buy accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

It is what it is, as they say. An interesting wrinlkle is, while I'm not in a rush to upgrade from an M8 to an M9, such a move would certainly be more onerous and slower with the Leica shortages and high prices of used lenses ... as I'd probably want to switch out my 28 for a Lux or Cron 35 and my 80 for a used Elmarit 90 ...

Post Thanks / Like

The rapid price increases felt like a bubble to me, so I did some profit-taking by selling off excess gear and used the proceeds to pay off debts and make non-Leica purchases.

I'd agree that the Leica community loses vitality when prices become too exclusive. Not sure that's entirely within Leica's control (gee whatever happened to the middle class in America?). Hopefully the new system due out in 2012 will attract more shooters in the 25-40 range.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    The rapid price increases felt like a bubble to me, so I did some profit-taking by selling off excess gear and used the proceeds to pay off debts and make non-Leica purchases.

I'd agree that the Leica community loses vitality when prices become too exclusive. Not sure that's entirely within Leica's control (gee whatever happened to the middle class in America?). Hopefully the new system due out in 2012 will attract more shooters in the 25-40 range.
    Leica is very quickly becoming a mainstream brand, and this new system will confirm that move....kind of a shame, but its a business, so...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica is very quickly becoming a mainstream brand, and this new system will confirm that move....kind of a shame, but its a business, so...
    Hi Kristian . . . . isn't that rather a contradiction of your first post? (mind you, I think I agree with both posts).

It'll be interesting to see whether it really will. As for profit taking on lenses, it's hard to blame people for taking advantage of the supply and demand issue.

I wouldn't dream of taking advantage of the market by selling newly bought lenses for more money myself . . . Not sure that I think it's unethical in a market economy though . . . . but I have to say, the only reason I could afford to buy a Noctilux was the thought that it was at least a reasonable bet that it would hold it's value, and in a world of crashing prices that's a pretty good reason.

There's buying things for pleasure (like a nice bottle of wine to drink), buying things as an investment (shares ). But there is a middle way, and perhaps a Leica lens represents that middle way.

In the end, if Leica is popular, and if they go more towards the mainstream, then more people will get to use it which ought to be good for all of us.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Kristian . . . . isn't that rather a contradiction of your first post? (mind you, I think I agree with both posts).

It'll be interesting to see whether it really will. As for profit taking on lenses, it's hard to blame people for taking advantage of the supply and demand issue.

I wouldn't dream of taking advantage of the market by selling newly bought lenses for more money myself . . . Not sure that I think it's unethical in a market economy though . . . . but I have to say, the only reason I could afford to buy a Noctilux was the thought that it was at least a reasonable bet that it would hold it's value, and in a world of crashing prices that's a pretty good reason.

There's buying things for pleasure (like a nice bottle of wine to drink), buying things as an investment (shares ). But there is a middle way, and perhaps a Leica lens represents that middle way.

In the end, if Leica is popular, and if they go more towards the mainstream, then more people will get to use it which ought to be good for all of us.

all the best
    Not exactly a contradiction just a contrast in topics. One is about the fast rise of Leica used M products. The other is about the increasing demand for, and Leica's desire to supply a more mainstream product. It's clear that Leica has survived due to products like the M9, and as the brand becomes more well known, it's important for them to capitalize as they're a business driven by profit, not tradition. The only problem for me is that I'm tired of my camera being so easily recognized on the street, and it's only going to become more of a problem going forward.

The niche brand is opening it's doors to the world and we need to accept that this move really was inevitable. The Leica brand has always been a brand catering to amateurs, and it's only fitting that this market open up in an economy and marketplace like this. Whatever keeps the brand making the cameras I love is fine by me. Only, expect a continuing increase of the Leica M line, with an M10 retail list of at least $8495. While many may not have the cash to buy these cameras, it's clear that the market, even in such a poor economy is finding ways to afford such an expensive product- and M 4/3rds is the main culprit.

SLR cameras will be the niche in years to come...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

all the best
    WRT Nocti this is actually very reasonable. Also for other Leica gear, but especially for the Nocti. I bought my 1.0 Nocti new for €2500.- and the price for it now is at least around €5000.- Not all Leica lenses can offer the same but at least they seem to stay at some value.

Not so with other gear, especially if it comes to MFD. My H3D after some 18 months lost almost 60% of the value I bought it. And same for the Hasselblad lenses. I would not have imagined that.

Might be the reason for me to go back to Leica again

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I suspect the current robust market for all things Leica will ease in the not-too-distant future. I'm not sure whether or not it is a bubble, but it certainly feels a little unstable. Either Leica will catch up with demand, the Chinese market pressure will relax when their economy takes an inevitable dip, the world economy will take another dive, or consumers will begin moving on to the next sexy photo system. In the meantime, those of us who really want a particular lens must be willing to pay a substantial premium (and I'm cheerful about my own recent obscene purchase in that regard) and those who make a rational decision that at a given amount of cash has more value than the lens itself, will continue to supply the market.

Post Thanks / Like

The price is not driven up in all part off the world, here in Denmark leica m lens and camera´s still sells for a reasonbly price compare to other part off the world, I myself just
    purchased the leica M9-P with an 28/2 asph for 9050$, I bought it from Jan Grarup, it´s the camera he won in Oskar Barnack competition which make it even more special, so lucky me to own such a great handcrafted pic machine .. By the way my M8 is now for sale :-)
    Best Regards/Hilsen
    Tommy Hjorth
    http://www.tommyhjorth.dk

Post Thanks / Like

How do you figure? Back in the 1990s, one of the pharmacies in my area used to stock M bodies, lenses and binoculars. You could demo the product and take it home the same day. And I think into 2007 or so, $3000 could buy you any new M lens including the Nocti, and you'd have change left over. I think the only $6K+ optic was the modular R telephoto system. In just 4 years, the resale price for a nice f/1 Nocti has more than doubled. At least buyers of the "Last 100" series got a very nice fitted humidor as part of the package.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    How do you figure? Back in the 1990s, one of the pharmacies in my area used to stock M bodies, lenses and binoculars. You could demo the product and take it home the same day. And I think into 2007 or so, $3000 could buy you any new M lens including the Nocti, and you'd have change left over. I think the only $6K+ optic was the modular R telephoto system. In just 4 years, the resale price for a nice f/1 Nocti has more than doubled. At least buyers of the "Last 100" series got a very nice fitted humidor as part of the package.
    In 2007 a new Noct and M for under $3k? Not sure where you were buying but can I have their info?

The prices of Leica products increasing is not in direct correlation with the brand branching out into the mainstream. The number of Leica dealers in the last few years is increasing quickly, and Leica has added an S2, which beyond what Leica say, is really targeted at high income earning amateurs. Also with a new interchangeable system coming out in competition with M4/3, its really doesn't matter how high prices are rising to. People are finding ways to buy Leica products, even in this poor(er) world economy.

Digitalization has propelled the hobby and art of photography, and this is only the beginning. I see continued price rises for Leica on the used market, which will see a rise in new prices, and demand continuing to outweigh supply.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see continued price rises for Leica on the used market, which will see a rise in new prices, and demand continuing to outweigh supply.
    Me too...and I don't think they will be small increases either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Me too...and I don't think they will be small increases either.
    No, the M10 I believe will have significant changes in design, using the M9 Ti as a foundation. The price will be $8500+ IMHO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

No, the M10 I believe will have significant changes in design, using the M9 Ti as a foundation. The price will be $8500+ IMHO
    If the addition of the sapphire screen and change in the top plate in the M9-P resulted in a $1000 increase over the regular M9, I suspect we may be looking at least at $8900 or more for a M10. That's why I believe along with the M10, Leica may offer a lower priced M digital body concurrent with the sale of the M10. The costs have become quite dazzling.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    If the addition of the sapphire screen and change in the top plate in the M9-P resulted in a $1000 increase over the regular M9, I suspect we may be looking at least at $8900 or more for a M10. That's why I believe along with the M10, Leica may offer a lower priced M digital body concurrent with the sale of the M10. The costs have become quite dazzling.

Dave (D&A)
    Well if Leica cannot keep up with demand (unless they're playing) it would not surprise me if they reposition the product closer to the price of medium format, where it has been traditionally. In the past only a few could justify spending such money on a Leica. Today, its a different story as we all know.

Maybe the M9-P will be the lower priced M camera.....If the M10 is a huge step up, finally equalling it's Canon/Nikon counterparts in MP size, high ISO and weather proofing, then we may see a significant jump to even somewhere between the M9-P price and the M9 Ti price, possibly around $12k. If the sold out 0.95 Noct is any indicator we should all start saving or convince ourselved the M9 is good enough till we win the lottery

enenrf

Just found a latest 50 cron used listing on Ebay. BIN price is $3500. omg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-Summicron-...item2c5e2b77ad

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by enenrf View Post
    Just found a latest 50 cron used listing on Ebay. BIN price is $3500. omg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-Summicron-...item2c5e2b77ad
    As breathtaking as the price is on the 50mm cron you posted the link to...who knows, if things continue to progress the way they have been, that price may seem downright reasonable in a year or so. Tell you an interesting story. Only about 12-14 months ago I purchased a mint (maybe even a 1 time used) silver/chrome 50mm Cron, 6 bit/boxed etc. for $840.00 . I had it a week and since I had other 50mm lenses at the time, I said "what the heck", I don't need another 50mm and its returnable to the store (14 day return policy) and proceeded to get my $840.00 back. Needless to say, it was scooped up by someone else 5 minutes later.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Even stores are price-gouging. Listing used products above standard RRP. I don't care what individual people offer their used equipment for though.

http://www.cameramate.com/index.php?cPath=21_23

enenrf

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    As breathtaking as the price is on the 50mm cron you posted the link to...who knows, if things continue to progress the way they have been, that price may seem downright reasonable in a year or so. Tell you an interesting story. Only about 12-14 months ago I purchased a mint (maybe even a 1 time used) silver/chrome 50mm Cron, 6 bit/boxed etc. for $840.00 . I had it a week and since I had other 50mm lenses at the time, I said "what the heck", I don't need another 50mm and its returnable to the store (14 day return policy) and proceeded to get my $840.00 back. Needless to say, it was scooped up by someone else 5 minutes later.

Dave (D&A)
    I got my lasted 50 summicron at $1000 one year ago, before the purchase, I sold my old type 3 version at $560 to finance it...
    $840 is very good price even one year ago. If you kept it for one year and ask for $1840 now. I still consider it a reasonable price. But $3500....

enenrf

Even stores are price-gouging. Listing used products above standard RRP. I don't care what individual people offer their used equipment for though.

http://www.cameramate.com/index.php?cPath=21_23
    Is this a Leica authorized dealer?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The market is what it is. If no one is buying at these prices then it's inevitable that they'll drop. However, that doesn't appear to be the case because there are plenty of folks who are willing (albeit reluctantly) and able to buy at even inflated prices. Having a camera body with no glass kind of sucks! My last return to the M9 had me buy a few ZM's to get started and then picked up a 50 'cron affordably locally when I could. Both the new and used market was basically a desert at that point.

However, it's a sad day when medium format digital, even with exotic tech camera gear and lenses and superior sensors than the M9, are almost positively "affordable" compared to Leica M gear today.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the 35 and 50mm fls. So much so that when the M8 came out I bought 2 M8s and one set each of the crons and the luxes.

On a whim I bought some zm glass too. The sonnar, planar etc. I love the 50mm.

Mind you I already had a set of luxes for my film Ms.

I shall see if I can find a sucker/s for my unused brand new in the box 35/50/75/90.

I am sure I will. There does not seem to be a shortage of them for Leica products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm, just a thought but its not generally a good idea to refer to your potential buying community as "suckers" even if just meant in jest ... just saying ....

p.s. how much for your 35 'cron?

Post Thanks / Like

Haha Good luck with your sales rayyan! I imagine it will be a very lucrative process
    I have a 50 lux asph due tomorrow, bought new from a store. I waited less than 2 weeks and paid $3695.

Post Thanks / Like

Prices for used Summiluxes are particularly high in the buy and sell section of this forum. Which I consider strange, since one would expect the crowd here to be an "educated" one. I have no idea why people believe e.g. a Summicron 50 is worth 5-6 times as much as a ZM Planar etc. However, markets are what they are.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Hmm, just a thought but its not generally a good idea to refer to your potential buying community as "suckers" even if just meant in jest ... just saying ....

p.s. how much for your 35 'cron?
    Graham, you are absolutely correct.

A thousand apologies to Connoisseurs who appreciate the beauty that can be created in glass by Leica. A thousand pardons friends. My phone number is

Take care.

p.s the 35 cron is getting to be a very rare item. You see how it glitters when you look at it..at an angle!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Graham, you are absolutely correct.

A thousand apologies to Connoisseurs who appreciate the beauty that can be created in glass by Leica. A thousand pardons friends. My phone number is

Take care.

p.s the 35 cron is getting to be a very rare item. You see how it glitters when you look at it..at an angle!!
    The current Leica gear has a special sparkle - one that comes from the liberal use of unobtanium in their construction.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha Good luck with your sales rayyan! I imagine it will be a very lucrative process
    I have a 50 lux asph due tomorrow, bought new from a store. I waited less than 2 weeks and paid $3695.
    Daniel, good luck and congrats on the lux. A fine lens indeed.

There is a growing interest around here in this arcane looking camera and its lenses. I think I shall wait some more for the appreciation to take hold!!

Best.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I have collected my Leica gear over many years.
    I think there are so many alternative posibilities of lenses and so many used lenses on the market (which will keep their value) that I dont see a real problem waiting a couple of months for a certain lens.
    Want a 50asph/1.4 and have to wait? Buy a used Summicron, or a Nokton, or a 50 Zeis 1.5 or 2.0 and use that until one gets the 50 Lux.

The nice thing is IMO you can buy a new lens without having to be afraid of loosing too much money in case you dont like/need it any more one day. Because you know you can sell it for a good price.

Personally I would not pay any more than list price for a lens just because it is hard to get. (if I didnt need it very very urgently)

Some of my Leica lenses I have owned for 15 years now - so what are 6 months of waiting?

I am more concerned that one has to (sometimes) send in a new lens for calibration - which stretches my patience.

So once I have a good calibrated lens I would say and recommend: Keep it. I would never sell my 50/1.4asphto gain some extra over list price just to buy a new one which might not work as well from the beginning.

Again - I think there are so many lenses on the market for Leica M that anybody who wants to shoot one can find the right lens.

Post Thanks / Like

If shopping for new lenses in the US, Keeble & Shuchat has the 50 Nocti ASPH for $10,495. I bought one from them earlier this year - http://www.kspphoto.com/leicastore.html. They also have several other lenses. Sean Cranor at Camera West will call / email if you're looking for something in particular. Ken Hansen is another option. I've bought from Camera West as well - and they do not mark up prices either (on new lenses).

Post Thanks / Like

John, I had a little chuckle at this on the KSP site.