The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How much beating does your Leica take?

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Same for me, but sometimes stuff happens. If I wanted to keep my equipment in perfect condition I'd keep it in airtight, de-humidified padded case which means I'd never carry it with me and I'd never make any photos. For me the pictures are what's important so I risk some boo-boos. Personal choice, YMMV.
I'm with you on this one Doug. I always try to keep my gear in pristine condition, but wear is part of the normal process when you are using it. Still, to get an M9 into that "beater" category this guy simply does not care how badly he beats it up. I know press shooters using their M's every day for over two years that don't have a quarter of that damage showing....

Clearly, he just uses a neck strap slung over his shoulder most of the time. I always use a bag for transport, and when not in the bag the body is securely in my hand. I want to KNOW that when I pull it out, it is going to function as it is supposed to. I would have to wonder if his does?

doug

... to get an M9 into that "beater" category this guy simply does not care how badly he beats it up. I know press shooters using their M's every day for over two years that don't have a quarter of that damage showing....
What we don't know is where and how he uses his camera, what environmental conditions he regularly encounters, and whether this was the result of an unfortunate accident or from ordinary everyday use. My 280mm f/4 APO (+ Leicaflex SL2) has looked worse (an accident) but it was still functional and I had it repaired soon after the accident.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
What we don't know is where and how he uses his camera, what environmental conditions he regularly encounters, and whether this was the result of an unfortunate accident or from ordinary everyday use. My 280mm f/4 APO (+ Leicaflex SL2) has looked worse (an accident) but it was still functional and I had it repaired soon after the accident.
Absolutely right Doug, if it was an accident. I was responding though to the overall condition. Either those boardrooms he shoots in are real Fight Clubs, he accidentally left his Leica in his pants pocket at the dry cleaners, or he is unusually hard on a piece of kit that is known for taking a beating. :ROTFL:

doug

Absolutely right Doug, if it was an accident. I was responding though to the overall condition. Either those boardrooms he shoots in are real Fight Clubs, he accidentally left his Leica in his pants pocket at the dry cleaners, or he is unusually hard on a piece of kit that is known for taking a beating. :ROTFL:
I don't see that the appearance of anyone's camera should matter to anyone else.

Thanks Chuck, you've helped me realize what a complete waste of time Internet forums are.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I don't see that the appearance of anyone's camera should matter to anyone else.

Thanks Chuck, you've helped me realize what a complete waste of time Internet forums are.
I find myself agreeing on both counts. :ROTFL:

On a more serious note, I agree with Doug that you never know how a camera ends up looking like it does. I know that in my own case my last M9 had some love marks on it caused by unfortunate bumps between items in my bag but nothing else. It wasn't mistreated in any way but did lack that pristine condition that others seem to cherish and somehow maintain. You don't necessarily have to treat your camera with complete recklessness to get dings, or maybe in this case more serious looking wear & tear - all it takes is one unfortunate event and you've got "patina" or worse.