Site Sponsors

Thread: ok to delte pics inside M9?

Post Thanks / Like

ok to delte pics inside M9?

is it good practice to delete unwanted pics in the M9 camera or should i wait to do that when importing?

also, is it ok to use big memory cards like 16gb in the M9 or should i try to go smaller.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ok to delte pics inside M9?

I do both with no problems. Just don't do too much preview monkeying around when writing a large amount of images to the card - mine can sometimes hang. Also be sure to switch out batteries when you get the low warning. The camera will shoot right up till the end of the battery's charge but may not write the images to the card. I've lost a few that way.

Post Thanks / Like

what do you mean by preview monkeying around?

do you mean like scrolling through your images a lot?

i shot 300 images on a 16gb card and then i got i glith where my camera would freeze up when previewing the 40th pic.

wasn't sure if that was from deleting a lot of pics as i shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've never had any problem deleting and previewing images on the M9. I always format the card in the camera.

Post Thanks / Like

ever experience freeze ups with the M9 when previewing inside the camera?

freeze ups happened to me on my trip which led me to believe maybe it wasn't good practice to delete pics inside the M9 maybe corrupting the memory card or something.

Post Thanks / Like

The camera 'hanging', sometimes requiring the battery to be taken out and re-inserted, seems to be usually caused when the camera is still writing to the card and you are quickly reviewing the images, or deleting them, etc. Its to do with overlapping functions getting in the way of each other. Possibly its the firmware to blame. But the solution in many cases is use a fast card, a 16gb card is fine, and just wait that split second before carrying on with something else. In this last respect you can obviously help by not deleteing images but leaving them on the card until you have downloaded them. And before anybody chimes in with 'what, with a $7000 camera!?', yes, its an annoying fault, but at least you have an M9

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Best practice is to delete the pictures in the computer after importing and then format the card in the camera. Regardless of the amount of money spent on the camera, the digital media upon which it is stored uses the CIFS file system (formerly known as FAT32) which uses a file allocation table to keep track of the files. Solid state media has a finite number of writes in its service life as writing to the media damages it (that's how it's supposed to work), and if a 1-bit error occurs in the file allocation table, the camera can lose the ability to retrieve from/write to the disk.

This can happen with a $99 Fisher Price digicam, a $7k Leica, or a $40+K Phase One. Till someone designs a more robust digital medium that is error-proof (or at least self-healing) and decides to use a more modern file system, it's just one of the little burdens that we have to bear for our art.
    Last edited by etrigan63; 30th July 2011 at 13:44. Reason: typo
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Just format the card in camera each time. No need to delete via the computer...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't like the delete function on any camera and never use it.

We were sitting in a cafe in Marble Canyon a couple years ago when a couple on their vacation from NY accidently deleted all the images from their camera. Several weeks of images wiped out by the slip of a hand. Luckily I had a copy of the SanDisk restore with me and was able to restore close to 99% of their images.

When ever folks ask me I recommend they forget they have a delete function on their camera. Load you images onto your computer then reformat the disk in camera on after checking to make certain all the images were downloaded.

Just my 2

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I absolutely agree with Don on this. I avoid deleting anything in camera at all for the screw up reasons that Don cites. Also, sometimes even mistakes have some merit when you review them later - even if it's just to copy regions off for another image in post processing.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I really don't like the delete function on any camera and never use it.

We were sitting in a cafe in Marble Canyon a couple years ago when a couple on their vacation from NY accidently deleted all the images from their camera. Several weeks of images wiped out by the slip of a hand. Luckily I had a copy of the SanDisk restore with me and was able to restore close to 99% of their images.

When ever folks ask me I recommend they forget they have a delete function on their camera. Load you images onto your computer then reformat the disk in camera on after checking to make certain all the images were downloaded.
    Just my 2
    Don
    I do exactly what Don said. Sometimes, hard to tell how bad, or good, a shot is on the camera LCD.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Didn't I say that?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Didn't I say that?
    Yes but we all wanted to say it too.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"