The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M lens Availabilty

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Well known that Leica M glass is in short supply ..generally out of stock everywhere . I ve never been shut out on any lens before . Got all four S lenses in a week for example. I have a bet with a well known dealer that I can find a 50 summicron black new in a week .....looks like I am going to lose .

I have been wanting to get a new 50 summicron in black for a while and considering that my used one will sell for new cost ..why not ? Well because I couldn t find one .

I made a list of every Leica dealer I had ever heard of in the USA and wow came up with 25 dealers . So I contacted everyone of them by email or phone and almost all responded . No leica M 50 s except an occasional summarit .

Then I went to the next level and developed a list of 6 regionally located mom and pop dealers that might have one on the shelf . I found some lenses but no 50 s (this is not original thought right). Then I went to some dealers in europe same result.

Has anyone seen a 50 summicron black NEW at retail . :ROTFL:

Mike Woods

Hi Roger.

I'm in the UK, and two separate Leica dealers on two consecutive days have told me that supply is easing. The first had a 50 'lux (now mine :)) and yesterday I went into a local dealer and he had a 28 'cron sitting on the shelf (still there :() - he reckons he's had four new arrivals in the past week.

Not much help I'm afraid but hopefully supply is improving.

Good luck with your search.

Mike

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hi Roger.

I'm in the UK, and two separate Leica dealers on two consecutive days have told me that supply is easing. The first had a 50 'lux (now mine :)) and yesterday I went into a local dealer and he had a 28 'cron sitting on the shelf (still there :() - he reckons he's had four new arrivals in the past week.

Not much help I'm afraid but hopefully supply is improving.

Good luck with your search.

Mike
Thanks Mike . Leica normally has a summer shutdown in August . I would expect that they will ship as much as they can before they shut down . But then you normally see no more until September .

monza

The thing with Summicron 50s in particular with regards to availability, is that far more of my customers want the 50/1.4s. In fact, when I was at Precision, I didn't order any crons at all, only lots of Lux.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
And if the rumor about the 50 / 2 asph is true they may not be making any more . Or yikes a commemorative version ! Like the Noctilux 1.0 .

johnnygoesdigital

IMO, the 1.4 of the lux is more useful at that focal length, I like just a tad more contrast. Anything wider in focal length is usually f/2 for me. Other threads are showing the 0.95 noctilux, but none with much success. The local shops can be a great source of Leica gear, I recently found a 50mm cron and also a new M6 TTL. If I find another one I'll PM you.

wjlapier

The thing with Summicron 50s in particular with regards to availability, is that far more of my customers want the 50/1.4s. In fact, when I was at Precision, I didn't order any crons at all, only lots of Lux.
was at Precision? No longer there Robert?