Site Sponsors

Thread: hi everyone, i'm new to this forum so bear with me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hi everyone, i'm new to this forum so bear with me

Hi all
    Just bought my 1st ever Leica purchase...a collapsible 50 summicron for $685 from ebay. Hope i didn't get taken for a ride!
    Now to get an M9...thats if i find a used one for a decent price.
    Wanted anyones opinion if the coll cron is a good way to start for b&w photography for my hobby. Any quirks about this lens i should know of (for using it on a M9)??
    Thank you in advance

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: hi everyone, i'm new to this forum so bear with me

Yup, the collapsible cron, while not super sharp wide open, has a nice classic look and a good place to start with B&W, due to its lower macro-contrast. The price seems about right for the current market, though these used to go for a lot less about a year ago...The following rigid cron and then the current cron perform better, but the collapsible cron is generally well regarded enough to still be used by many B&W shooters. I think HCB used his a lot for many famous shots...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Ashwin
    If I were to get a more modern lens which would you recommend? 50mm or 75mm. I was thinking of a Summarit? Or a Zeiss?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If you would like a lot of bang for you buck I would recommend you take a look at the Voigtlander 50/1.5 and 75/2.5 lens if you are looking at adding an additional 50mm or 75mm. You can find them both new, Camerquest and Photo Village, and used here on the buy & sell forum and other forum venues.

You can find some examples by doing a search on Flickr. I also have some examples of the M8.2 and M9 with the 50/1.5 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2667261...693002/?page=4

You can find the Leica 50/2.5 & 75/2.5 Summarits new and used but the Summicron and Summilux are scarce at retail prices and the used are fetching a large re-sale price if you can find them. The Zeiss do have a 50/2, 50/1.5 available but they are hard to find at the moment as well. I did notice that BHPhoto do have the 35/2, 35/2.8 and 80/4 available at the moment.

Good luck with the search and welcome!

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Dan! Is the voitlander a lot heavier (50mm) as I've heard?

Post Thanks / Like

Moonshine,

Welcome to the forum. The folks here are very helpful and supportive as we all move forward as photographers. I have no experience with the collapsible Cron, but it seems most Leica lenses are excellent. As for the M9, I want one, too. I think I need to wait until January before I can make the purchase. That said, my M8 has treated me very well. I have read good things about the Summarit line. So you have one lense--the collapsible 50--and the 75 would be a second lens. Is that right? If so, you may want to ponder what type of kit you're aiming to build. With a 50, some may then add a 28 or 35 or 90. I don't think I'd want a 50 and 75 for a two-lens kit, but that's just me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Voigtlander 50's

50/1.5 = 9.7 oz
    50/2 (Nickel) = 10.4 oz
    50/2.5 = 8.3 oz
    50/3.5 (Nickel) = 6.0 oz

The Leica 50's

50/1.4 = 11.8 oz
    50/2 = 8.1 oz
    50/2.5 = 8.1 oz

I do believe the Voigtlander is a little longer with hood than the Leica. I have the Leica 50/1.4 and the VC 50/1.5 and I do like them both. Recently the Leica 50/1.4 is the most frequently used lens, but they all are attached to the camera one time or another.

At some point or another I would not mind having the 50/2 Summicron and/or the Voigtlander Nickel Heliar 50/2 lens.

It is an addiction and one must practice time and patience.

Good luck with your search.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@ramosa: thanks
    so 50mm and 75 is not a good idea? are their fov too similar?...haven't tried a 75 yet so don't really know...but it sounds like you are right..maybe i should consider a 90mm instead, tho i've heard its hard to focus for a newbie!
    Also its for street photography and i know from most posts on this forum that 35mm is the best for that, but i have to admit, since i'm new to this i guess i'm terribly shy and not very confident about getting close to people
    i feel safer staying a little further away with a 90 or 75...what do u suggest?

@Dan: thanks, not much difference there, so i'll look for one

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan, just saw your flickr pics loved Table Top Jump

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    Dan, just saw your flickr pics loved Table Top Jump

. . . . . thanks for your kind words!

BTW, a 75mm or 90mm works well in the street and distance is not a bad thing when starting out and getting comfortable with the shooting environment.

Lots to read here, on the RFF forum, and I would also recommend that you take a look at sites like Steve Huff reviews, the Leica Forum, and possible Sean Reid site for lens reviews, it is a subscription site but worth the money. Lots of information to sort through but it is helpful.

Good luck with your search!