The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thank you for the new Forum

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just wish this forum existed a couple of years ago....good to see some friendly faces on this site ! Hmm I may have to buy a DMR just to be a 'real' member
Peter, I'll second Guy and say you'll always be a real member regardless of what you are shooting! Guy and I talked about building a site like this two years ago, but as several others sprang up, we felt at least one of them would do what we felt "our group" wanted. Shame on us for spending the bulk of those two years trying to get the other sites to do what we felt was right instead of just doing it ourselves. Hopefully though, it's better late than never ;)

BTW folks, 25 posts and the "New Member" designation automatically changes to "Member," 250 posts and it goes to "Senior Member."

Cheers,

PeterA

Gentlemen - the past is the past, i am glad you guys have done all this hard work of setting up..this is going to be a fantastic and useful resource and I already think a fun place to hang out with fellow photographers and camera junkies! -:)
btw - thanks for your public endorsement Jack. I like dealing with good people known to each other. ...and it looks like I am going to pick up 2 dream lenses and maybe a DMR. Now I might advertise my Canon 1dsMk11 kit on here -:)

Cheers from 'Down-under'
Pete

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Peter please post whatever you have gear wise for sale. We put that section in for others to see what they can buy and hide from there spouses at the same time. Did i just say that. ROTFLMAO

Look how nice it worked for you. You single handedly got the best lens ever made or damn close to it. You just don't see Leica 35-70 2.8 Elmars being sold everyday. Not sure you know the story behind them. I think there are only 225 made, Leica was determined to make the best zoom ever but the cost was so high they were actually losing money on them so they stopped production. I had one for awhile and have to say it was a beauty of a lens.

Jim might be able to expand on some of that Leica history on it.

PeterA

Thanks for that Guy - I have never used one myself but am really looking forward to using it..I am also looking forward to the 70-180 which is itself a beautiful optic. I am thinking out my strategy re Canon gear - I have the 17-40/501.2L/851.2L/70-200ISL as lenses which I wiil probably sell - and a 4000 shot (only) 1dsmk11 with other bits and pieces....

Just got mysecond Alpa body today - as my portable shooter - the lovely 12TC - maybe I will do a write up on how I use the stuff..

Attachments

fotografz

Yes, Peter do a write up on those exotic ALPA cameras.

Peter and I are about to venture into gear land that threatens to flood the "For Sale" section with excellent stuff as we swap over some systems. In the quest to squeeze ever more quality out of every pixel, he's infecting me with Leica R and Sinar/Schneider Hy6 lust ( thank God the M8 kit is done ). Gotta hussel up more paying gigs pronto ... LOL.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Marc load it up . Peter we would love to hear more of the Alpa system and if you want to write something up that would be awesome. No such thing as to much data around here. Also guys we are going to put in a Hot Headline news that folks see something in the industry like announcement of gears and such a place to put those announcements so all members can see. So that should be a good source of data. Were building and learning at the same time. Personally i love the fact that other Pro's are with us on this site, it gives a great balance of what works in the real world and what does not.

BTW we are 1 week old today, so we have a lot of growing to do but Jack and i are thrilled so far at the members that have joined. It's a slow process but quality is more important than quantity in our members and a compliment to those that signed up are some really nice folks to have here. Ad campaign "Were loving it" Now who's campaign is it, I can't remember.

gero

Parring down sometimes is actually a good thing. Makes you think differently too
For me the DMR & M8 make a grate combination because they both serve as backups to each-other (if there is a repair) and while one is out, the experience of shooting with the different camera enriches and I learn through it. I don't have a favorit but if I shoot too much time with one, I start to miss the other.