The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Upgrade your M9 to M9-P

emr

Via Steve Huff:

Steve Huff photo

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LEICA CAMERA OFFERS NEW SERVICE FOR THE LEICA M9

Allendale, NJ (August 2, 2011) – Leica Camera announces a new service for Leica M9 owners to incorporate the product features of the Leica M9-P into their existing M-System camera, resulting in an alternative, even more discreet and resilient design. Owners taking advantage of the service will also receive a one-year warranty extension. Through the North American Headquarters in Allendale, NJ, Leica will be offering a “Sapphire Glass” upgrade package and a “Top Cover and Sapphire Glass” upgrade package. Interested customers are encouraged to schedule appointments starting August 8, 2011 for upgrades from October 3, 2011 through Leica Camera, Inc.

The “Sapphire Glass” upgrade package offers the replacement of the M9 monitor cover with the M9-P’s scratch-resistant, sapphire crystal cover, a choice between vulcanite and smooth MP-style leatherette trim and a one-year warranty extension. The package will be available for $1,295. The second option, “Top Cover and Sapphire Glass”, includes the replacement of the monitor glass with sapphire crystal cover and the replacement of the top deck and base plate with silver chrome or black paint. The package also includes the choice of vulcanite or smooth MP-style leatherette trim and a one-year warranty extension. The package will be available for $1,995.

All upgrades will be performed by specifically trained technicians and will be a part of Leica’s regular repair service. Reservations are on a first come first serve basis and upgrade time is dependent upon demand. M9 owners can schedule upgrades beginning August 8, 2011 by calling 1-800-222-0118 x 9930.

Please visit the Leica website at www.leica-camera.com shortly before the start of the upgrade program for further information about the offer and the upgrading procedure.

David K

Workshop Member
I was expecting a lower price... around $1500 for the works. If I'm reading the press release correctly you don't get the additional one year warranty with the sapphire crystal upgrade. IIRC the warranty is worth around $500 so I can't imagine anyone not going for the entire package if they're going to do any upgrade at all. Think I'll pass on this one.

S

Seafurydriver

It's a little more than I thought it would be, but not terribly more. If you have an M9 that's out of warranty you could basically have it upgraded to "like new" cosmetic condition and have a one year warranty for $2000. Considering that the M9-P retails for $1000 more than the M9, and when you consider the warranty extension, this does not seem like too bad a deal, at least by Leica pricing standards.

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
It's a little more than I thought it would be, but not terribly more. If you have an M9 that's out of warranty you could basically have it upgraded to "like new" cosmetic condition and have a one year warranty for $2000. Considering that the M9-P retails for $1000 more than the M9 when you consider the warranty extension this does not seem like too bad a deal, at least by Leica pricing standards.
But you are not getting a new camera with the upgrade... for whatever that's worth.

johnnygoesdigital

I can understand the desire to upgrade, as the M9-P in chrome is a slick looking camera, but that's it...just aesthetics! There's nothing about the sensor that's any different, so for $1000 more you get a sapphire glass, which should have been included in the M9. For many, removing the red dot seemed important for discretion, but now Leica is boldly written across the top plate... not so discreet when on a strap.

S

Seafurydriver

I completely agree that you're not getting a new camera and it is just aesthetics. For me I was in the market for an M9 anyway, so the extra cost for the M9-P was not too difficult a decision (as I enjoyed having chrome and sapphire on my M8.2). In the end both cameras take identical photos, it's just a matter of personal taste.

leicashot

Anyone notice that you can't just pay $700 for the 'visual' transfer only?!?

Also, we all know what 4 weeks means in (Leica) german ;)

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I was expecting a lower price... around $1500 for the works. If I'm reading the press release correctly you don't get the additional one year warranty with the sapphire crystal upgrade. IIRC the warranty is worth around $500 so I can't imagine anyone not going for the entire package if they're going to do any upgrade at all. Think I'll pass on this one.
David,

I've outlined the details of the Leica M9 Upgrade Program. Both available upgrade packages include the additional 1-year of warranty.

ashwinrao1

$1900 + is $500 more than I expected, sigh...I will have to think on it over the next few days, but suspect that it'll be nice to have a chrome body and a new 1 year warranty as well....

I am guessing that my name will be on the list in waiting...

Best,
Ashwin

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I don't see much point to a very expensive purely cosmetic alteration. The insides are identical by definition. I do think the M9P is drop dead gorgeous but it isn't going to produce better images than my M9, so I am intending to resist the siren song and wait for an M10.

250swb

I think I will wait until my M9 is battered and bruised and needs a full service, the 'upgrade' price seems cheap if it makes a worn and well used camera like new again.

Steve

Double Negative

Not Available
I think I will wait until my M9 is battered and bruised and needs a full service, the 'upgrade' price seems cheap if it makes a worn and well used camera like new again.
But that's precisely when they start to get really pretty - and YOURS. I wouldn't wipe that away with an "upgrade."

leicashot

I vote for that one too (being a happy M8.2 user)! Next year the M10 is expected to have a really upgraded sensor which can compete with the top Japanese cams.
Hopefully. My M9's sensor doesn't compete with my D3s sensor, so hopefully the M10 will be a little closer.