The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 50 Sonnar found..should i buy it?

Moonshine

Just found a brand new Zeiss sonnar at my local camera store but was a little apprehensive in buying it as i've heard it to have shift focus issues that get resolved once its sent to Zeiss to fix?
Should i just wait for a Leica or get this? Its for my M9 that arrived today:)

leicashot

Wait for a Leica, and tell me where it is. i'll buy it, if not Kebebe will ;)

But seriously, Zeiss cannot fix then focus shift issue. it is a know fact of the lens design and Zeiss make no complaints about that. This is a lens you buy to shoot wide open. if you want an all round lens, look elsewhere like the Planar or Summicron/Summilux etc.

GRW

I have one of these on my M9 and love it. Wide open it really does create a much more arty feel ( not very technical I know). At 2.8 things become sharp again, you can get the lens optimized at 1.5 I think. Build quality is great too

You won't regret buying it

G

seakayaker

If you need a 50mm for you M9 and none other are readily available then I would buy it. If you have concerns there is always a few 50mm options available new from Voigtlander. The VC 50/1.5 takes great pictures when combined with the M9.

. . . . . yes, a Leica 50/1.4 Lux would be nicer but also cost $3000.00 more at retail pricing and you can not find one from a dealer . . . . . or the Leica 50/2 Cron would be nice but also will cost you $1300.00 more.

So if no Leica 50mm is available, I did post a link for a 50/2.8 available at BHPhoto, that you can find then I would buy the Zeiss or a Voigtlander now and sell it when you get the Leica 50mm of your dreams.

BTW this is from the other post:

currently there is a used 50.2 zeiss here: http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Used&cat2=Leica%20M%20Bayonet&cat3=Fixed%20Lenses

A leica 50/2.8 can be found here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Leica&ci=3018&N=4294247086+4291372330

A Zeiss 50/1.5 can be found here:

http://www.igorcamera.com/leica_lenses.htm

Good luck with the search.

Last edited:

Hausen

This is my everyday lens on my M9. Is awesome. I sent mine to Cosina and they optimised focus at F1.5. Barely left my M9 since I got it back. They did it for free as well.

Moonshine

just bought a 50 summarit for $1140 slightly used...

Dan i wish i saw your link for the planar earlier..would have bought that as thats what i was looking for when i stumbled upon the Sonnar :((

@leicashot: brand new sonnar available at Houston Camera Exchange...good luck!

what do u guys think about the Summarit?

Brian S

The Sonnar is in demand and hard to find. Buy it and try it: if you do not like it, resell it.

I've seen original 1940's LTM Sonnars go for > $600. the new one is sharper and higher contrast. The Bokeh of the new Sonnar is a faithful recreation of the original.

Some comparisons of the new Sonnar, a 1936 uncoated Sonnar that I converted to Leica mount, and a top-notch Jupiter-3:

http://www.ziforums.com/album.php?albumid=285

Brian S

C-Sonnar, wide-open on the M8:

The 1936 Sonnar 5cm F1.5, wide-open.

IMO, the new lens captures the spirit of the original.

If you like Sonnar lenses, this one is a gem. It's like having two lenses at once. As other reported above, it looks completely different wide open compared to f 4 and up. It does vignette wide open. To me the bokeh is fabulous.

The focus shift never bothered me. It really only comes into play when the subject is close (less than 6-8 ft) and you are shooting wide open. Some people had more trouble than others. I think the lens cam alignment plays a role with this lens.

Zeiss will adjust the lens to minimize the focus shift at f 1.5 instead of the factory default value of f 2.8.

seakayaker

The 50/1.5 C-Sonnar is above retail for a used Zeiss. Thats a first! ...same with the Planar at Adorama

Paying above retail for Leica is one thing, but for Zeiss!?!
. . . . . they also have a 35/2 cron used at Adorama selling for 350.00 above retail price.

A week ago at B&H photo they had Zeiss 50/2 lenses at retail prices on there site for a couple of days. When I first saw them I thought they would be gone in minutes.

The Voigtlander lenses have also seen pretty good increases in price over the past couple of years. I like several of them, still own a few, and the ones I sold I did not take much of a loss. The 28/1.9; 50/1.5; and 75/2.5 LTM lens being my favorites. The lenses I have owned and then sold are looked at as just an inexpensive rental or spending money for the enjoyment of the hobby.

I know in the past year, I paid more then I expected to get a 35 Lux and 90 Elmarit. I was also able to pick up a new 50 Lux, 50 Cron and 75 Cron at retail and picked up a 24 Elmar that was a few months old for a nice price. I subsequently sold the 50 Cron to a local buyer for what I paid for the lens

There are lens available, if you are patient you can find them at retail (eventually) and sometimes at below retail, then again sometimes you pay the going market price if you get a GAS attack!

. . . . . no point, just rambling before heading off to bed . . . . .

leicashot

haha know whatu mean mate

night

. . . . . they also have a 35/2 cron used at Adorama selling for 350.00 above retail price.

A week ago at B&H photo they had Zeiss 50/2 lenses at retail prices on there site for a couple of days. When I first saw them I thought they would be gone in minutes.

The Voigtlander lenses have also seen pretty good increases in price over the past couple of years. I like several of them, still own a few, and the ones I sold I did not take much of a loss. The 28/1.9; 50/1.5; and 75/2.5 LTM lens being my favorites. The lenses I have owned and then sold are looked at as just an inexpensive rental or spending money for the enjoyment of the hobby.

I know in the past year, I paid more then I expected to get a 35 Lux and 90 Elmarit. I was also able to pick up a new 50 Lux, 50 Cron and 75 Cron at retail and picked up a 24 Elmar that was a few months old for a nice price. I subsequently sold the 50 Cron to a local buyer for what I paid for the lens

There are lens available, if you are patient you can find them at retail (eventually) and sometimes at below retail, then again sometimes you pay the going market price if you get a GAS attack!

. . . . . no point, just rambling before heading off to bed . . . . .

Moonshine

thx i checked out your review for the sonnar and the pics u took with it...looks great but the focus shift issue worried me as i'm new to rangefinders and this type of photography in general. Maybe at a later date...
Your website is fantastic and i sent the link to a bunch of my friends :)
wish you would review the 50 summarit as i just bought it :) my one and only Leica lens
i had bought a coll cron from ebay but it an aperture issue so i sent it back :(

Double Negative

Not Available
thx i checked out your review for the sonnar and the pics u took with it...looks great but the focus shift issue worried me as i'm new to rangefinders and this type of photography in general. Maybe at a later date...
Your website is fantastic and i sent the link to a bunch of my friends :)
wish you would review the 50 summarit as i just bought it :) my one and only Leica lens
i had bought a coll cron from ebay but it an aperture issue so i sent it back :(
Thanks all around! :)

Since you're new to RFs, maybe the Sonnar should wait as you said. While experienced folks might not have a problem adjusting to any focus shifting, it's not something I'd recommend to someone new. If you like the ZM lenses, then perhaps the 2/50 Planar would be a better choice. Typically modern lens, sharp from wide open, no thought required, etc.

Reviews and articles on La Vida Leica are continuously updated with more information, samples, etc. The reviews in particular will get a lot of additional information in the way of lens testing, sample images, etc. I just haven't had the time to get to it all yet... :p

Which Summarit? The latest, f/2.5? It's a good lens - but does have a few minor compromises (e.g. min. focus distance). Nothing to worry about though. You should be pretty happy with it.

Thanks again and for spreading the word. :)

ramosa

I'd wait and pick up a used Cron 50, the most recent version. It's a very good lens. I had one, but sold it to get a Lux 50 asph--an even better lens, but one I'll sell soon as I get things in order (including finances) to move to FF.