The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Summilux 80/1.4 focusing ring too tight?

A

alexyt

I just heard some complaint about 80/1.4 (ROM version if that helps) saying the focusing ring is tighter than some other Leica R lenses.

I used to have one 80/1.4 and I remember when I compared it to the 35/1.4 ROM I feel the tightness of the focusing rings of these two lenses are on the same level. My understanding is due to the extreme shallow DOF and relatively short focusing ring walking distant, the somewhat tighter focusing ring to designed this way for accommodating.

I also owned a 180/2.8 Elmarit-APO and this one has the loosest focusing ring I've ever had.

Anyways, to those of you ever used or heard about this discussion, how's the tightness of 80/1.4? Is just normal to find it on a bit tighter level? Or it should be like this... Please advise. Thanks.

Last edited:

thomasl.se

My 80's focus ring is about as tight as my 60's and 180/2.8 v2 non-APO's. My 35/2 v2 focuses smoother than all of them. I think they all feel right for their respective size and weight; never really reflected much over focus ring tightness before so it clearly hasn't been an issue at all for me. If anything, they're a pleasure to use.

Seascape

Virtually every 80 Lux that I have ever handled had a, tighter than normal for a R series lens, feel.

My own was like new in a box when I bought it several years ago, and I "worked it" for some time, and while still tightish, it is much smoother and more like other R series lenses now.

Regardless it is a fabulous lens, truly a classic design, and beautifully made :thumbs:

j. white

Indeed my copy of this lens has the tightest focusing action all lenses I own, spanning Leica, Nikon, and Hasselblad systems. Due to its geared action, even my Arca-Swiss 4x5 rivals it. Okay, maybe that's overstating the case a bit. The Arca does move more easily, but it is definitely not quicker to focus.

I've inquired about this on the LUF a while back. The consensus there was that while I might be able to send it in to have the lubricants replaced to use something lighter, in the end that might not help. I was also suggested that nothing is better than use to get the action to loosen up.

Ultimately, even though it's tight in use, the unique optical qualities of this lens make it worthwhile and rewarding. I've said before, it's one the reasons to own an R camera!

Last edited: